2012 F-150 FX4

T-FAST

Yup! Right now its very pogo stick like, which I would attribute to the rear leafs, but its not terrible. I was pleasantly surprised how well it did while running against the raptors. I was pushing 90% while they were at 60%. Truck just needs a little more travel and much better control. Really wasn't gonna do anything to this truck, cause I really want a raptor, but in the end I don't need a raptor as I can put some money into my truck and get it to a perfect compromise.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Raptors are indeed sweet trucks, ford scored huge with those!! Good luck with the build! When I was in alameda for training the other day I drove around my buddies fx4, it was a realllllly nice truck, and might be the replacement when my fronty goes, but thats not gonna be for a while.

As for the build, you are on the right track with using bits of another ford product, cause they should be easy and cheap to find, just try not to go with anything exotic, might be hard to come by in a pinch.

T-FAST

Thanks for your service Mo! Yeah Following the KISS method change only what needs to be changed and do so with proven equipment. Probably won't be until later in the fall or early next year until I get most of the suspension bits together. I also need to start gathering some rescue equipment and camping gear. Still really want to make a trip out to Big Bend for a couple over nighters.

One question I do have... Anybody have a recommendation for a tool box? I'd like to get one to mount a compressor inside and any equipment I might need. It would have to withstand me getting a little air under the tires.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yup! Right now its very pogo stick like, which I would attribute to the rear leafs, but its not terrible. I was pleasantly surprised how well it did while running against the raptors. I was pushing 90% while they were at 60%. Truck just needs a little more travel and much better control. Really wasn't gonna do anything to this truck, cause I really want a raptor, but in the end I don't need a raptor as I can put some money into my truck and get it to a perfect compromise.

You can try calling SDHQ, they build quite a few Raptors and pull off the stock Raptor suspension, they may sell you the take off components.

Pick up some glass fenders from Fiberwerx, to handle the wider Raptor components and you're set.

Cruise the Race Desert classifieds too for used parts.

Last edited:

T-FAST

Yeah, SDHQ, RPG, Texas Motorworx... They all have take-off parts. The front end of my truck will not be Raptor parts. Its way too much money to retrofit a f150 into raptor. The rear of my truck will have raptor parts. No long travel suspension here, so no need for glass fenders. I will be using f150 specific Fox 2.5" coilovers and F150 specific UCAs. This combination will net around 10" of front travel and about 12-13" of travel in the rear. Which for me, is perfect for general wheeling and some fun mild pre-running.

Thanks for the heads up on Race Desert, Clutch, I always seem to forget about that site.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, SDHQ, RPG, Texas Motorworx... They all have take-off parts. The front end of my truck will not be Raptor parts. Its way too much money to retrofit a f150 into raptor. The rear of my truck will have raptor parts. No long travel suspension here, so no need for glass fenders. I will be using f150 specific Fox 2.5" coilovers and F150 specific UCAs. This combination will net around 10" of front travel and about 12-13" of travel in the rear. Which for me, is perfect for general wheeling and some fun mild pre-running.

Got it...thought it might be cheaper than going Fox/UCA's

Thanks for the heads up on Race Desert, Clutch, I always seem to forget about that site.

You're welcome...seems like there are always good deals that come up on that site.

Might even fine used coil overs and UCA's...and you simply rebuild them.

T-FAST

Got it...thought it might be cheaper than going Fox/UCA's

You're welcome...seems like there are always good deals that come up on that site.

Might even fine used coil overs and UCA's...and you simply rebuild them.

Would really be cool, but your looking at UCAs, LCAs, brake lines, Spindles, tie rods, half shafts, larger fenders, and coil overs. At the end of the day you have an 8" wider track at the front and stock width at the back. I don't even want to know what a rear axle would cost.... lol. Just not monetarily reasonable, and at the end of the day your just wondering to your self why did I just spend 10K to make my truck a raptor when I could have just bought one.

My inner child would love one, but realistically I don't need one. My truck, when its complete will be able to do just about anything a "stock" raptor could do. Sounds good to me!

Clutch

<---Pass
Would really be cool, but your looking at UCAs, LCAs, brake lines, Spindles, tie rods, half shafts, larger fenders, and coil overs. At the end of the day you have an 8" wider track at the front and stock width at the back. I don't even want to know what a rear axle would cost.... lol. Just not monetarily reasonable, and at the end of the day your just wondering to your self why did I just spend 10K to make my truck a raptor when I could have just bought one.

My inner child would love one, but realistically I don't need one. My truck, when its complete will be able to do just about anything a "stock" raptor could do. Sounds good to me!

Shoot, the direction you are going is more than fine...spend the money saved on gas, food, and beer. ;)

T-FAST

Did some exploring today. Had a really good time!

dlm9h4.jpg

2vw8ae0.jpg

21blttc.jpg

2cwld06.jpg

2yjsp79.jpg

ixziad.jpg

1498lj9.jpg

5lx8n5.jpg

27zer8i.jpg

Big50

Adventurer
Truck looks great. Wish Ford offered this color on the Raptors!

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. I almost went this exact route when my 2011 Raptor was totaled. If it weren't for all the aftermarket parts that I already purchased for the 11, I would have gotten an FX4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior