Examples of a limited off road / urban trailer on a budget

rogue_rager

Sorry if this topic is already covered but...
Sitting here in Afghanistan I stumbled across this site while chasing down a day dream of a teardrop trailer. Now I have totally shifted my focus into creating something for me, by me and not blowing all that Uncle Sam gave me and keeping wife happy.

My limitations are
- Must be no more than 1500lbs loaded to be pulled by a Honda Element
- A budget of about $1400
- Enough storage to support 2 adults, a small, a medium and a large dog
- quick setup and take down, load and go
- also handle two bicycles

Original plan was to buy a 48x60 trailer (or something close in size) and add two storage boxes laying long ways and bolted into place ( like truck boxes ) add a hitch mounted box. Then some water can holders. And finish it off by getting or making some form of rack system or cage that the cross bars would sit about 30 inches to 3 foot from the deck of trailer that could be used for bikes, kayak or a roof box and so on. I have searched for examples to see if anyone has done something like this on a non-off road trailer but have been coming up short. Any advice, guidance or example???

fowldarr

Explorer
There are a cople of guys on here that have turned your standard enclosed trailer into something like what you are describing

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Go to http://www.tnttt.com

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers. These guys have some amazing builds. I've seen a lot of these in person (see my signature -we have a homebuilt teardrop) and they are incredible. Chances are, if you've got a question, somebody there has an answer. BTW my user name on that forum is the same as the one I use here.

Thanks for your service, BTW. I was in A-stan 10 years ago with the CO ARNG.

WahooCreek

There's a site out of Texas relating to fishing from a kayak that has several builds/conversions of trailers for carrying kayaks.

jsherb (spelling) has a really thread on this and other sites detailing the conversion of the harbor freight trailer.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ther-Fiberglass-Trailer-Kit?highlight=utility

Also, be on the look out for threads by a fellow named armyRN , he also converted a HF trailer or northern freight trailer.

Here's one I've bookmarked:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-build-based-on-a-utility-trailer?highlight=

You can also search this subforum for "utility trailer" and find several good threads.

rogue_rager

Awesome thanks for advice. I will be sure to check out all the resources. Right now the lesson I'm learning is when I start laying it out on paper, the budget goes quick. I may go back and push my total to 2000. Couple more questions though.
- Anyone have experience with the cost of having a welder make a basic trailer rack system? Something like a mini truck ladder.
- Can the metal of a cheap trailer handle welding or are there issues with mods like bigger tires, drilling into the frame so on?

BTW Martinnmpr - the Gan is not as fun as used to be. The cowboy up and handle business days are gone, think Kosovo 99-2001, but with a little bit of IEDs, IDF and attacks mixed in.

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Keep an eye out on CL for a cheap trailer that you can tear down and build frame up. I started with something similar, did a spring over lift, new wheels and tires, new box, tool box, lighting, paint etc. and got to where i wanted to be with the trailer, and still only about $600 into it. Should leave plenty of room for custom rack and storage

First edition
Greenhorn1.jpg

Re did the box, added new wheels and tires, tool box and jack
trailer3.jpg

JKJenn

Adventurer
Check out Dinoot trailers. Jeff worked with them to develop a DIY fiberglass kit based off a Jeep tub, using the Harbor Freight frame. I was strongly considering picking up one of their trailers until I ran across an M416 at a reasonable price.

rogue_rager

That would be a ton of fun. Unfortunately I do not have access to the family garage living away from home. That is another priority when I hit State side again is to sell house and move to a place a little further out and a small garage. After going over it, I will start the first trailer on a 4' x 6' or 40" x 48" base add a floor and install two 44" x 20" storage boxes then a tongue box. The rack is looking like I can make and bolt together using square perforated tube (like that of some road signs). Right now I figuring about 600 ish for cost. Still though when we drive HWY 1 here in Helmand, Afghanistan and I see a jingle truck with stuff mushrooming over the sides and a car parked on top of that!! My little trailer idea seems.. well little. I really need to start taking pictures of trucks and trailers here because no one would believe it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Jingle Trucks

Jungle trucks

Attachments

• 280px-Colourful_afghan_truck.jpg
    280px-Colourful_afghan_truck.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 617
  • dsc00351.jpg
    dsc00351.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15

gordinho80

Adventurer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80921-Offroad-Camping-Trailer-Build

Still very much a work in progress....
2012-10-08

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Still though when we drive HWY 1 here in Helmand, Afghanistan and I see a jingle truck with stuff mushrooming over the sides and a car parked on top of that!!

I love Jingle Trucks.

Seems to be an India/Pakistan/Afghanistan thing, though. Didn't see any in Kuwait or Iraq.

NFADUDE

Any build thread? Looking to get more info in your build... Things like the canopy setup and the sink?
Sorry no build thread, its an ever evolving design, probably 1000$ total at the moment. the trailer is modular,and does everything from camping to trash duty,so it must remain flexable.the canopy is simply a 6x8 tarp, the poles are adjustable ones from walmart and attached via split collars welded to the trailer. I've added to this with a 4x6 that canopies the bed area and a 12x8 that extends over the rear area, no pics of that . The sink is a 5 gal bucket split in half with a drain fed from pressurized(either a bike pump or the jeeps OBA) 5gal water can, 10gal water on board. The whole setup, work table,tarps, sink etc will go on either side of the trailer depending on how the campsite looks. I've also added a swing away rear tire carrier and a chuckbox that fits onto the dropped tailgate..
5f05839e83061fffaf2e5a387bc23a80_zpsc3b4aca9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior