Martin Portable Refrigerator

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Anyone heard of Martin portable refrigerators, they sell them at Sail locations here in Canada.

The model they carry is 45L and is $375 regular price, they often have 20% off camping supplies so that would put it somewhere below $300 (plus tax).

It also has the option to run off propane, claims it will maintain the cold temperature for 35 days on a 20lb (standard bbq size) cylinder. I am assuming it uses propane evaporation as the coolant. I dont know how much energy this thing draws, but for those without a dual battery setup offers a nice bit of reassurance to slap on a 1lb propane tank and let it run over night if you are worried.

Not much out their on the internet (they do seem to have a line of propane spaces heaters but I cant find a company website), just wondering if anyone had heard of them or has any experience

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The "3-way" type fridges (LP-AC-DC) are not very efficient on electricity and seem to particularly not work that well on DC. They also shouldn't be ran on propane in a vehicle as it needs to be vented. OK if its for a permanent installation perhaps - but not as a SUV rear cargo type use.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
http://www.sail.ca/

that is the store URL, they started in Quebec and there are 4 or 5 in Ontario now, their website isnt great and doesnt list everything they sell (including this fridge)

I do understand that running the propane wouldn't be good in a vehicle, but at night time it could be hauled our of the truck if needed. Would a power inverter fix the DC power issues? run off 120 AC?

highdesertranger

Adventurer
you can not run an absorbtion refer off 12v for very long, takes a huge amount of energy. also in the desert with the higher temps 90-100 a 20lb cylinder is going to last about 1 week. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior