M101CDN2 Mod Qstn?

twitchrider

Hey,

I have an M101CDN2 trailer. My plans are to clean it up & use for camping & utility purposes. I want to know what your thoughts are regarding separating the tub from the frame for restoration. My thinking is that the frame & tub would be easier to handle and I plan to mod a tailgate into the tub. I'd appreciate any feedback.

brentbba

Explorer
M101CDN trailers have the tub welded to the frame unlike M416's. Are you sure you want to separate it? Seems like more of a PITA than it's worth. Only took four guys about a minute to flip mine over and place the tub down on a couple of 2x4's to work on the underside.

Does it really need to be taken apart? I agree it is much easier to flip over and clean, prep, seam seal and paint. These things are a lot more fun to use than tear apart and re-build. Use it and upgrade as necessary in smaller projects is advise I wish I had followed on many of my projects. One has to have a lot of disipline because once it is apart the sky becomes the limit on the things you can upgrade along the way adding time to the build. If you choose, a set of eyes, ears, a grinder with a cut off wheel with a steady hand makes short work in removing the tub. Can you weld it back together? I recommend the tub attached to add the tailgate. It is much more stable and helps you keep it square. Pics?

Toycdn

Observer
Just strip everything from the tub / frame and sandblast it together. I would not break the welds unless you really have to.

On mine I didn't even touch the underside of the tub with the sandblasting. It has a thick coating on it that was in good shape.

hollaback55

Explorer
if your trailer is made in 1992 its going to be in good shape unless it was used hard. mine looked great underneath, had hardly any use on it at all. plus it comes sealed from the factory with a thick rubber like coating underneath.

if it does need complete resto just flip it over blast it and then coat it. strip all the suspension off and our good to go. then flip it back over and go to work on the top side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior