Expedition Trailer and a Conventional Campground

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Hey guys,

Just curious how you guys handle a conventional campground? I've seen some campgrounds with vehicle restrictions at campsites, trailer restrictions, tent only, etc. etc.

So if you have an expedition trailer setup with a mounted RTT, do you guys get hasseled at a commercial campground? Do they let you go to a tent camp spot or do they force you in between big rig RVs??

Just curious, not a huge issue but wanted to know if anyone's encountered problems before. I may be doing a cross country trip and when I can't find open land to camp on(can actually difficult as I'm sure most know...), I may need to stop at conventional campgrounds. I've never done so with a RTT mounted expo trailer.

kai38

Explorer
It seems to be different at every place I've stopped at.
Traveling to Alaska I was allowed to stay free since I didn't need electricity or water, other places I've been sent to the tent area
Explain that you will not need any services just a place to sleep overnight they might make a deal on the fee.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
On the couple of times we have stayed in our Conqueror, I just tell them it's a pop up camper and I don't need an electric spot. I always try to get a tent site, but most CG will not allow the trailer on them. Saying it's a pop up is so much easier than explaining it's a RTT on a trailer.

STREGA

Explorer
There are some National Parks that have campgrounds that are tent camping only (Grand Tetons has one) and they do not allow RTT's, must be ground tents. I have never used a tent site with my RTT, I just use a regular site when I do use a developed campground which I try not to do but sometimes you have to. Be prepared to answer a lot of question/picture taking from people that have never seen a RTT before. My favorite question I ever had was from a young girl who wanted to know how I got my tent up on the roof of my FJ and even more importantly to her why I would do that. After I explained to her how and why she said " wow that's the coolest tent I have ever seen, I'am going to tell my dad we need to get one of these". Later on she brought her mom and dad by to see this tent on the roof of a car, not sure mom/dad were as impressed with it as she was.

troseph

Yellowstone Grant Village Campground forced me into an RV spot for the RTT on a small trailer. It wasn't fun listening to generators and water pumps every morning and night.

I actually got kicked out of a tent spot for the RTT on my truck last summer. I really think it comes down to the camp host.

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Since there do appear to be issues with developed campgrounds, are there any RTT Trailer friendly chains? Anything I should look for? Or is it just hit or miss and can't really tell until showing up? I ask because there may be plenty of unplanned stops where I may only have a day or two to call ahead.

Again, I may be making a cross country trip this summer, and I'd love to know what to look for when finding the next place to stop for the night. And even though the Expo Trailer allows me to stop anywhere, the law may not agree! haha

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Hard to call ahead and ask, Most people on this side of the Mississippi never heard of a RTT.

I have asked about roof top tents in ********'s, Dunhams, Gander Mountain and REI outfitters..............None of the staff at the listed stores ever heard of a RTT.
Bass Pro Shops sells one model.

Just my two cents............

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
If you stay at campground, just tell them it's a popup but that you're ok with staying in the tent area if they are.

The biggest problem staying in a place like that is answering the 35000 questions.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am glad you asked this question because I have thought about it, too, especially now that I am picking up an M416. I was fine at Colorado NM last year with the RTT mounted on my roof rack and at Sarah's up at Presque Isle in good old Erie, PA. Lots of questions from guests. It was a little embarrassing having people watch me put it all away at Sarah's, lol.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
On the couple of times we have stayed in our Conqueror, I just tell them it's a pop up camper and I don't need an electric spot. I always try to get a tent site, but most CG will not allow the trailer on them. Saying it's a pop up is so much easier than explaining it's a RTT on a trailer.

This is my exact experience. Not worth trying to explain usually. I've only had problems once, and I was able to talk my way through it... But it definitely depends on the individual in the office or the host. Here in my area it's hard to not go to campgrounds, but we have a few near us that are pretty nice.

Don

-

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I have my favorite places and we try to reserve a spot in the area we want, or I usually go to state campgrounds that are first come first served. Usually they are vault toilets and electric only at most (usually not even that) so it keeps a lot of the RV's away. If asked I usually say pop-up or if I am in a mood I screw with them and tell them I mounted a tent on a trailer.

Joanne

Adventurer
If you stay at campground, just tell them it's a popup but that you're ok with staying in the tent area if they are.

The biggest problem staying in a place like that is answering the 35000 questions.

I finally made up a pre-printed handout that told a little about my little trailer, had a link to my build website, and a link to the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer website. Folks were really happy to get something they could take home with them for later web surfing.

Joanne

loup407

Adventurer
We use state and national park campgrounds from time to time, and quickly learned that its all about the approach with the camp host. Ironically, the closest we've camped to a generator was at Overland Expo. I also carry a healthy supply of Adventure Trailer brochures. I go through a lot of them. If you are introverted, you do not want to deploy your RTT in a place like Zion. However, we've met some super nice people, and more than a few members here.

Tom and Elaine

Observer
"Knock on Wood" We haven't had a problem with the Tentrax staying in the tent areas in both private and public campgrounds other than folks stopping by and wanting to see how it "works". We just ask for a tent spot and go from there. Tom and Elaine:camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94