To Rover or not to Rover... LR3 purchase consideration...

Nikson

Explorer
Looks great!

So far so good... :)

Funniest thing happenned today while running out of the car to the store...

The warning chime kept staying on after I've pulled out the key and was ready to shut the door... I thought it was my lights being on, but when I looked at the dash, it showed "KEY IN IGNITION" warning, although key was already in my pocket...

morrisdl

Adventurer
Nice - I have had my 2006 LR3 for 5 years now. A wheel bearing recently was the 1st problem I have had (somewhat common in <2007). I ran General AT2 285/60R18 and really liked them. Moved up to 32.1" GY Duratrac 275/65r18 and have been really impressed. I had to pound down a bump in the right rear wheel well at 3 o'clock and relocate a sensor wire in the front left to run stock height with no rubbing whatsoever. Even access height is not bad in the occasional parking garage.
Comparison:
IMAG0226.jpg

Duratrac's in action:
Uwharrie+-+Dickie+Bell+Climb2.jpg

Nikson

Explorer
Nice - I have had my 2006 LR3 for 5 years now. A wheel bearing recently was the 1st problem I have had (somewhat common in <2007). I ran General AT2 285/60R18 and really liked them. Moved up to 32.1" GY Duratrac 275/65r18 and have been really impressed. I had to pound down a bump in the right rear wheel well at 3 o'clock and relocate a sensor wire in the front left to run stock height with no rubbing whatsoever. Even access height is not bad in the occasional parking garage.
]

Thanks for the info...

Are you running something like Johnson's Rods or just at stock height settings?

Nikson

Explorer
Also,

hows your speedometer settings (off by much vs GPS & dash readings), as well as overall response of the engine/tranny/shift points change to the larger size tire,

or differences are very insignificant?

morrisdl

Adventurer
Good questions. I swap in some adjustable ride height arms when I go offroading, but otherwise I run stock height. Initially, I did run off-road height fulltime for a few weeks while I worked out the rubbing issues. My roads here are too twisty to run that way all the time. The speedo reads 2-3mph low at highway speeds. When I 1st got the duratrac's I felt like braking took a little more push on the pedal, but no difference in braking distance (this could have also been related to the pads and rotors were shot). No perceivable differences in the drivetrain. They hum a little until I reach 60mph and then the wind noise cancels it out completely.

Nikson

Explorer
Good questions. I swap in some adjustable ride height arms when I go offroading, but otherwise I run stock height. Initially, I did run off-road height fulltime for a few weeks while I worked out the rubbing issues. My roads here are too twisty to run that way all the time. The speedo reads 2-3mph low at highway speeds. When I 1st got the duratrac's I felt like braking took a little more push on the pedal, but no difference in braking distance (this could have also been related to the pads and rotors were shot). No perceivable differences in the drivetrain. They hum a little until I reach 60mph and then the wind noise cancels it out completely.

I've really been having hard time weighting out - worth/not worth type - opinion on going with a 30.05 vs 31.50 size tire, 3/4 clearance - makes that much difference???

I see it being a difference between a smaller 31in vs 35in... but when is only a 1/2 to 3/4in difference in clearance... is there a point to it?

Having your GYs thou - another story - lots more tread to grip with etc, yet I'm thinking that a good Toyo AT2 is overall sufficient for most of the trails...? or...???

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Going with the 31.5" tire size is a no brainer, they fit, they provide a significantly greater sidewall height and air volume over a 30" tire, and generally improve off road capability in every respect, and without any penalties.

The real question is in going with +32" tire sizes, which have tradeoff's in fitment and what you need to do to accommodate them.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Here is what I have found with going taller. The more the better. The extra sidewall, especially on the 18's, matters. I run 275/65-18. This a 32" tire. I moved the brake sensor harness on the front left and flattened the body flange down in the back. I have had minor damage to two wheels because there was not enough sidewall. Holcomb Creek and Nightmare Gulch, CA. were the guilty trails. In limp mode, completely deflated bags, the only rubbing is going lock to lock on the front an it is minor. I had a rear sensor fail on the freeway at speed and the truck dropped to the bump stops. That was a fun little ride. I have continually increased the size of my tires and will move up to a 275/70-18 once this set is done. Again for the extra sidewall. When running 20psi, not that low, I have seen the side wall flex down to less than inch. The LR3 limitation is that it always high centers. The wheelbase is great for room and highway driving but is its weakness when crawling. I will be adding airbag spacers to address the next size up in tire. I did run Sasquatch Rods, great rods by the way. I have replaced with the stock rods and now run a software calibration instead. To run a 33.5" I will have to trim my sliders and cut a bunch of plastic in the front wheel well. The rears should be good, albeit tight.

morrisdl

Adventurer
JAK, Sounds like a lot of work to get to 33", but I am excited to see how you do it. 33" will also look more size appropriate for a truck the physical size of the LR3. The stock wheel size looks make it look like a matchbox car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles