Aspen X Trails Kelly Tear Drop build

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
We have started a new trailer, we are a couple of days down the road. This will be a top of line trailer. These are custom builds, and I will try to show you more detail than I have in the past.

Again, the strongest, most trail worthy off road trailers made.

Hope these give you an idea of how they are made, stick by stick, sheet by sheet.

Bob

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 241
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 208
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Fitting for 36 gallon water tank and skid plates.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 134
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 139
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 156

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Should have pictures of the water tank and skid plates on today. I started upper walls yesterday and have about 1/3 done. Of course the easy 1/3. Ordered in a new ARB slider for the fridge, supposed to be changed so want to see and set up fridge for clearance under stove.

This one will be a little different in that the frame will be completely powder coated with three different colors. Also the complete frame will be sand blasted tip to toe, top to bottom. Rhino lining will be an extra charge, but concentrating mostly on the lower frame and fenders. The fenders will be different on this trailer. I am not welding them to the frame, but bolting them in several places. You still will be able to walk on them and will offer the same inner fender protection from rocks and other debris pulled up into them. It makes it easier and more effecient to bolt them on.

I am making the roof a little different with 2x1 surrounding the doors and forming roll cage over the top. This also makes the roof stronger for the AC, this one does not have an AC, but will be built to accomadate if the customer decides down the road he wants it. Pre wired with breaker dedicated to it. No TV, DVD or XM stereo in this one, but will be wired for future possibilities. Hope to bring you guys up to date with photos sometime today.

Bob

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I don't know much about Aspen Trails Trailers, but is the tear drop a new design for you guys? I noticed on the site it's mainly bigger trailers and what not.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
There are two builds on this site, and we really are only building tear drops. Mine are a little lareger than the others in some respects. A little longer, taller in the rear and narrower. All the videos are of my trailer being taken on trails. Not sure where you are seeing larger trailers. I have been building trailers for over 25 years. I have only built 3 tear drops, building the fourth with a story on this thread Kelly build. Mine are designed to be the strongest, most trail worth Tear Drops. Most are wooden upper frames, mine are integrated steel. If you check out the current build you will see pretty much how they are built. If you watch the video on Carvacre trail, you will see what the trailer is capable of. I have over 20K on the one in video, nothing has broke, TV failed due to vibration I think and the micro wave, but both lasted two years. Above their original warranty.

Have never even come close to rolling the trailer as all the weight is just above the axles. Mine are nothing like the competition. All hand made individually, stick by stick, sheet by sheet. If you would like to be included in the build thread, PM your email address. You can follow the whole build and hear the customer/our conversations on what he wants and how we make it happen.

I only build 4 to 5 a year.

Thank you for your interest.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Not the best site name, I have decided. Thought it would cool to have the X represent Xpedition, works good in the logo, not so good on the internet, but I made my bed, so will lay in it.

Thanks Thom for helping me there.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I think you will like the skid plate/water tank part. It really was a PIA. The tank is the exact same size as the inside of my frame. Was so happy with that, but the tank varies from 1/8 to 1/4 inch wider than claimed.. Could not move the frame rails out as I already had the axle for the trailer, so had to route through the frame. I do not like going through the frame due to vibration over time wearing spots in the wire. I think I have figures a way to stop that, foam insulation spray into the tubes, filling them after the wires have been pulled, and then seal off with silicone around the entrance and exit areas.

The skid plates are a major pain, but the came out fantastic. I got a few pictures to post yesterday, but today what I did yesterday does not work. Duh. Not a computer giant by any means.

This trailer is a little longer than the past ones, gave it more room for a ProPex propane heater, but not installing it in this trailer. But will design and make it work for the next one that wants it.

I am hoping to take this one to the Expo. If the owner will allow it. And if it is done.

Again thanks and I appreciate your kind words.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I think there's confusion because there are multiple aspen trailers. This builder is AspenXtrailers http://aspenxtrails.com/ Not these guys

http://aspentrailrv.com/
http://www.aspentrailer.com/

Not the best site name, I have decided. Thought it would cool to have the X represent Xpedition, works good in the logo, not so good on the internet, but I made my bed, so will lay in it.

Thanks Thom for helping me there.

Bob

Oh I see. I've seen the site before. I just searched the wrong site and the other name didn't click in my head.

John E Davies

Adventurer
I am following this thread closely. I am impressed by your metalwork. And I am looking forward to seeing your trailer at OE 2013.

Can you comment on your suspension? I am no fan of the Torflex for washboard roads, and for the possibility of bushing failure. The big pluses for Torflex are its simplicity and very cheap replacement cost. Would you consider offering an independent coil or airbag suspension with adjustable shocks, or will that screw up too much of the under body layout (tank location, etc) .

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I am not sure this one will be there, but the prototype will be there, as I am staying in it. Will have a better idea in the next month or so. Wiring the trailer is one of the tougher tasks as I solder and shrink wrap every connection possible. Once that is done I will have a better idea of how long it will take to finish.

I am picking up the monster battery and solar controller in the morning I think. 255 amp hour battery that weighs 158 pounds. It lasts forever. Military grade. Of all the things I have added to the trailer this battery is the most impressive. Old Sarge left his fridge on and put the trailer away, 3 weeks later he pulled the trailer out, and the battery was at 12.2, with no charge, no interuptions. He and I were both amazed by it.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Doing great, riding my bike a lot. Thought the build photos would be on here today, hopefully before the weekend. I just cannot get this thing to post them, i succeeded once, but some how it eats them. lol

The monster battery arrived today, went up 187 dollars since the last one. I love them, but may have to start using a regular battery system.
Stove, water heater, water heater door, water pump came to, but the sink was wrong. Now have to special order it. 2 to 3 weeks, so I ordered three of them. The hot water heater is the main component. Everything works off that as far as building the back of the trailer. They come in two sizes, one considerably smaller than the other. Something this critical, I like to have my hands on them.

Pictures coming soon I promise.

Bob

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94