Turbo Diesel Trooper Expedition Build

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Updated 10/9/2013: I will keep the mods list in this first post updated as the project progresses.

This thread documents my build of an expedition vehicle from a 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel with an 85 horsepower c223t engine and a 5 speed manual transmission.

GOALS

I plan to build this for desert camping roadtrips in Baja California Mexico and other southwestern areas. I want to safely access away from the road free camping, but off-roading for it's own sake isn't my goal.
  • Ultra-reliable
  • Fuel efficiency (over 25mpg in full expedition trim)
  • Simple and field serviceable
  • Mild (slightly above stock level) offroad ability
  • Very low budget (under $6000 total build cost including vehicle)
  • Self contained for 1 week

PHOTOS

View attachment 151708
704786_10100495384432618_1574202100_o.jpg

MODIFICATIONS AND EQUIPMENT

Camping Gear:

Reliability and Monitoring:

Safety and Recovery Gear:
  • Smittybilt XRC8 winch
  • Darlington Off-Road Custom Winch Bumper
  • Delta Plow Boat Anchor
  • Smittybilt snatch block
  • SPOT Satellite Messenger
  • 8 gallons water storage
  • 5 gallons spare diesel fuel

Nav/Audio:
  • Equalizer w/ Aux input added to work with stock stereo
  • Custom built laptop mount for GPS navigation
  • Lowrance GPS
  • Coleman 400W Inverter
  • Apple Macbook Pro

Major preventative maintenance:
  • Rebuilt rear axle
  • Replaced fuel tank
  • All synthetic fluids
  • Replaced all wear items in engine bay (timing belt, water pump, etc.)
  • Rebuilt injector pump

Attachments

• 475382_10100307550897528_525769067_o.jpg
    475382_10100307550897528_525769067_o.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I am on planetIsuzu, I'll check out your guys build threads!

I finished dropping in a new diesel tank last night. The old one was rusted beyond repair and leaking at the seams, and I had to cut off every bolt with a dremel tool to get it out! I couldn't find a replacement anywhere, so I ended up using a newer fuel injected gasoline trooper tank, which was almost a drop in replacement once I replaced the in-tank pump with a straight hose.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Sasquatch, I just read your threads in detail. Great stuff! I would like to eventually do a frame-off rustproofing of my trooper as well... and I'll probably copy you with the custom molded vinyl floor- that looks awesome!

How much does your boat weigh? I have a 3,000lb Catalina 22 sailboat I used to tow with my old expedition rig (the Volvo Turbo Wagon) but this thing just doesn't have the power for that... so I'm looking for a smaller sailboat the trooper can tow. Also, where did you get your custom rear bumper w/ integrated hitch? I can't find a decent hitch for this thing. I already paid/ordered a DOR front bumper but need to save up for a rear.

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Tons of upgrades and repairs! I still have a lot to do before I can do a real trip, but it's a work in progress.

Custom fabricated winch bumper built by Darlington Off-Road Products, and Smittybilt XRC8 winch:
isuzu.jpg

The winch didn't work at all when it was first installed... turns out it came mis-assembled and the spool was jammed on the motor shaft. I was able to disassemble it inside the bumper, and get it working. The bumper/winch combo is super heavy, and I'm going to need stronger front torsion bars.

The rear axle oil seals blew because the breather was clogged, so I rebuilt the rear axle. I had to take it to a machine shop to get the bearings pressed on and off.

This thing has been slow as heck, could barely do 60mph... turns out it had no turbo boost enrichment:
2.jpg

The injector pump also had broken mounts, and was held in place just by the injector lines! A friend is rebuilding the pump and welding the broken mount for me:
1.jpg

Next I need to replace the water pump and timing belt- hopefully I can plan a short 'expedition' in a month or two!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Heh, I don't remember them being exactly spritely anyway, so not having the turbo would indeed suck.

Looking good otherwise. Joe builds sturdy (read: heavy) bumpers, so upgraded torsion bars would be a nice thing.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Yea, this bumper sure is heavy! I need a 'lift' just to get back to stock height!

I'm going to try to "tune" this thing for enough horsepower to maintain 75mph on level ground in Overdrive with a full expedition load and roof tent. I think it will be possible with an intercooler, slightly more boost, and an adjusted injector pump (slightly more timing advance & fuel).

Before increasing the power output, I will need to add EGT, boost, and cylinder head temp gauges so I can see if my modifications are safe for the engine (thermally).

This engine is known for weak connecting rods, and I think more boost might actually protect the engine from this! More boost means more power at lower RPMs, and lower shift RPMs equates to reduced stress on the rods- peak stress on the rods is inertial (reversing piston direction) and doesn't increase with increased boost and fuel.

Reliability and longevity are my #1 concern, but my experience with old diesels suggests minor increases in boost and fuel on indirectly injected diesels does not harm durability significantly.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I'm trying to find a way to add an audible alarm for the coolant level, any ideas? It has an all brass radiator with no external pressurized tank, so I suspect I'll need to drill a hole in the top of the radiator side tank, and find a float sensor that can screw in from the outside.

Unfortunately, most stainless steel float sensors are designed to install only from the inside, and there's no internal access to the radiator tanks:
Stainless_Steel_Float_Sensor.jpg

I might be able to use one of these:
duckbill-side-float-switch-stainless-steel.jpg

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Project update

I finally installed a GPS navigation system built from parts I already owned. It uses a Macbook Pro running Delorme Topo North America, an old lowrance iFinder GO backpacking GPS w/ USB cable, an ebay laptop mount, and a coleman 400w inverter. It's very cool to see a 3D view of the terrain and trails ahead! I also added a serious offroad lighting system that is totally hidden. The stock halogen bulbs have been replaced with european Hella H4 bulb holders that have high wattage hi-beams.

2013-10-05 at 11-17-01.jpg

I was going to build a drawer system, but decided on just canvas army surplus zipper duffel bags instead. It turns out this works awesome! Everything stays in place and is quiet offroad, and is very easy to access. Last weekend we took a trip to Anza Borrego. We camped in Blair Valley, and then spent a morning exploring the Mud Caves:

2013-10-05 at 11-16-01.jpg2013-10-05 at 11-58-00.jpg

I haven't calculated the fuel economy yet but in two days of offroading plus about 200 miles of highway driving we used only 1/3 tank of diesel, which I think is about 7 gallons. This thing is slow but the slowness is worth it for great fuel economy, and it doesn't have any problem in deep sand or steep offroad grades due to insanely low stump puller gears.

I had planned on a rear locker, but I no longer think it's necessary. For the type of mild offroading I do (get to a remote campsite to go hiking) there's no real chance of getting stuck without it- and I have good recovery gear. I'm not really into pushing the offroad limits of the vehicle, and want my wife and dog to have enjoyable and relaxing trips.

I'm very happy with this rig- the total cost including purchase price and all equipment was under $6k... and it's outfitted to be comfortably self contained for weeks or more in the wilderness.

My next plan is to get an ultra lightweight cruising sailboat (Montgomery 15) which is also fully self contained for weeks, but weighs under 1,500lbs and can be towed behind this rig to remote lakes, bays, and beaches. Sounds crazy, but I think it's do-able.

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Where did you get the rebuild kit for the injection pump? I havent been able to find one...

This Diesel Kiki pump is a Japanese made licensed replica of the German Bosch VE pump, which is used on about 90% of older diesel vehicles (including all VWs, Volvos, and most Cummins pickup engines). A search on eBay for "bosch VE rebuild kit" should show up tons of them.

I didn't get the rebuild pump or kit myself, I sent it to a friend who runs a business doing diesel injection repairs. I wanted to do it myself, but it looked like it requires a lot of special tools, and experience to do one properly. My friend said this was particularly difficult because of minor differences from the Bosch pumps. I also had it professionally machine tested before reinstalling it.

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Very cool ride. I would love to get an old 4 door trooper diesel but it hard to find one in good condition with gen III rods.

The previous owner rebuilt my engine, but I never could figure out what kind of rods it has without tearing it apart. I am very careful to never shift past 3500rpm, hopefully that will be enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior