I am posting this for a good friend that builds those trucks for life since many years. He also build my Toyota HZJ75 camper before he built his.
It's a german made truck with TOP quality! No comparison to most "so called" expedition campers you see on the streets where everything already rattles on the highway due to poor material or just crappy quality. This type of quality camper you usually only see in Europe or when someone from there travels around NA. Materials like the modern sandwich plates or even stupid things like the drawer lockers so everything keeps closed even on heavy 4x4 roads you won't get anywhere in NA.
He got a low mileage truck and completly restored it and built the cabin in 2010. It was over a year full time job. He traveled now in north america with it the past 2 years and didn't drive often offroad.
All the pictures of the built can be seen here: http://www.reisenomaden.de/html/mercedes_1017.html
If you have any questions or are interested in it please PM me or email him directly on his homepage. He is interested in selling the car mid this year in USA or Canada. Price you make up with him, depends also on the equipment you want. He is not sure how it would work with the customs and taxes, but that surely is something that can be solved!
Here the most important specs... it's too much to list everything!
1978 Mercedes 1017 AF
Restoration of complete truck and new cabin build in 2010
Truck got 90.000 km/ 56‘000miles
OM 352 Engine with 5,6l displacement with a power of 168HP
Legal load max. 12tons
Empty it’s 7.3tons
- build with sandwich plates made of Aluminium with Polyurethane in between (super isolation!)
- the cabin sits on a 4 point frame so it keeps flexible when the truck frame starts to move on 4x4 roads
- 2 x spare tire holders
- motorbike holder (it can be pulled out)
- tree branch protector on top
- inside the cabin everything is made with 15mm (0.6”) multiplex wood and everything is protected with marine laquer or protected with Resopal, a waterproof coating
- bed is 1400 x 2000 mm (55“ x 78.8“)
- Waeco compressor fridge 50L (13gal)
- Kramer gas oven 30L (8 gal)
- integrated 2 flame gas camping stove together with sink, everything stainless steel for easy cleaning
- 2 x 6kg gas bottles
- water filtering system from Katadyn (2 faucets, one with filtering, one without)
- 400L (106gal) fresh water tank, protected with extra pan against leaks inside cabin!
- 40L (10.6gal) grey water tank
- Porta Potti toilet with SOG venting
- shower and toilet in a room at entry. Also made with 30mm (1.2”) sandwich plates and 2mm (0.08”) Aluminium pan as floor with 2 drainage
- drawer sytem below bed for tools etc. Accessible from outside too!
- 2 big outside doors to access big compartments below bed for tools, chairs, canoe, what you want!
- passage to drivers cab can be closed and locked
- 24L (6.4gal) hot water boilder
- Espar 5kW water heater (with 2 fuel pumps for higher altitude) with 3 heaters inside cabin and an additional heater for engine through a heat exchange device
- 5 x Seitz windows 1000x450mm (39.4“ x 17.7“)
- 2 x roof windows including ventilators
- high quality Victron battery chargers, 40 A, 12 V
- 3 solar panels with a total of 390 Watts
- 2 x 200 Ah AGM batteries
- DC/DC converter 12 V to 230V, 3.000 W (for North America this can’t be used. Please let me know if you don’t need it!)
- DC/DC converter 12 V to 110 V, 500 W
- battery status computer
- 10.00 x 20 Fuchs wheel tank rims with 365/80R20 trailer tires or 365/85R20
- air tank shifted away to get more space for the bigger Diesel tanks
- custom made Diesel tanks. 2mm (0.08“) black sheet, 1x 330L (87gal), 1x 380L (100.5gal) and 1 x 30L (8gal) inside car for heater and as spare tank. All tanks got 3 way manual valves.
- Separ Diesel filter (mechanical & filter)
- custom made exhaust muffler
- custom made aluminium stair on bearings. Can be easily pulled out when parked and pushed back below the cabin during driving.
- 2 x big boxes behind rear axle and below cabin to put other stuff in there (chains, recovery stuff etc.) + 1 box behind right front wheel with integrated grey water tank
- custom made start battery holders
- aluminium roof beam
- aluminium sand ladder holders
- new made heavy duty tropic radiator with mesh in front to protect against bugs etc.
- moved up air filter with Zyklon filter
- Recaro Seats
- 4 x Sand ladders
- different recovery gear like spade, pulling devices, recovery pillow (not sure of the right word!), shackles etc.
- 4 x chains for the wheels
- 2 x complete spare tires with rims
- small Motorbike 80 ccm
- big tool box
- generator, 230V, 1800W
Thanks Expedition Portal for the Add!