ExpoScout's 03 Tundra

beartoothclimb

Still here...

So after about two years of putting off mods I went ahead and made an order from Wheeler's last night. Steel wheels and 5100s are on the way. I threw in a diff drop kit just for the heck of it. Now I just have to decide which tires and which size of tire...

I'm really leaning towards the 265/75 as I don't feel like running into any rubbing issues or cv problems. But a part of me wants 255/85s. I really don't know that they'd be necessary though with what I plan on doing with the truck and I feel like they might cause more problems than they are worth in the long run.

I actually took a measuring tape to the fenderwells yesterday and the rear sits 3" higher than the front. So I'm likely not going to do anything to the rear right now other than the 5100s and I'll try the front on the fourth notch (one less than the highest setting). Hopefully this will accomplish what I want without negatively affecting anything.

I gotta start saving for a winch bumper now but I have an impending move coming up (hopefully out West) so who knows when I'll get around to that. The wheels/tires/shocks is certainly my main priority right now.

Oh, and the odometer is up to 46k now :p I'm waiting til I get out west to really put the miles on her.

Wheels look good! You got a link to where you got them or a brand/model?

ExpoScout

Explorer
Looks great!

Thanks Derek.

It's at the shop getting an alignment now and I'm having them replace a torn steering rack boot as well. I could've done it but I just don't have the time before we head on a trip this weekend....plus it needs to be done prior to the alignment.

ExpoScout

Explorer
truck is looking good. i need to do the diff breather extension asap

Thanks. Yeah, it's a nice useful, easy mod. When I removed the factory breather it blew off pressure...even though its supposed to do that itself. Now there shouldn't be any buildup at all.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I wish I did the PM1 battery when they where going for $250. Now. They are 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim65wagon

Very nice! Truck is looking good!
That's the same spot I put my diff breather. I used a lawn mower fuel filter fur the breather.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ExpoScout

Explorer
Very nice! Truck is looking good!
That's the same spot I put my diff breather. I used a lawn mower fuel filter fur the breather.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I've used all sorts of small filters for breather filters. They work well.

I just got off the phone with the shop that has the truck for the alignment. Now mind you that all I did was put the 5100s in the 4th notch and put the 265/75s on with the 4" BS wheels.....but they said that the "tie rods are in a bind" and that they did not know if there was going to be anything they could do with it :squint:

There was a shimmy at 45mph which I attributed to the alignment being off. But they are saying that they might not even be able to...strange considering there seem to be a ton of people with no issues with this same (and even more extreme) setups.

EDIT: They just called back and another person (the owner of the shop) said that he thought he could get it fixed. So we will see.... Anyone have any input on this?

ExpoScout

Explorer
That don't make no sense.... Check tundrasolutions

You're right it doesn't.

Yeah the tie rods should not be affected. It's not lifted that high. Just tell the to align it!

I thought the same thing...

They got it taken care of though. Not sure who was looking at it first (I wasn't there, just heard it over the phone) or what they were thinking. But it seems to be good now. I just drove it and it was good to go. I then went back to discount tire and had them re-balance the wheels and use weights on the outside of the wheels too. That plus the alignment fixed pretty much all of the "shimmy" that I was experiencing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior