Campfire mat? or other idea

FettsWay

Adventurer
We camp alot along the river and therefore build campfires on the gravel bar. While the fire burns, rocks explode alot with small fragments, we have found them burned into our clothes and even had close calls with them hitting our face.

I heard there was a campfire mat that is fireproof that you lay on the rocks before building the fire that might help? Is that true?

Or I thought about packing a bag of sand with me to spread on the ground before we build the fire? If you dig a pit, there are just more rocks.

Any input on this or other ideas?

Thanks.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Idk about a mat but if you have a truck you can bring a washing machine insert and use that. They work pretty good for fires, as they glow red they put off a lot of heat.

spunky2268

Adventurer
You will still get the heat going through the blanket, though less. The blankets I used when packing required a layer of mineral soil over the top to provide insulation; you built the fire on top of the soil. You could probably use sand from the bar over a piece of heavy, 24oz. canvas.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think i large plow ferrow wheel would be a neat and easy to carry option, just lay it on the rocks and build a fire, if you cant locate one a large wok, but its more dished and will take up more space.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
You will still get the heat going through the blanket, though less. The blankets I used when packing required a layer of mineral soil over the top to provide insulation; you built the fire on top of the soil. You could probably use sand from the bar over a piece of heavy, 24oz. canvas.

I agree with Spunky on this one. Many places require that you have not only a blanket like that but that you bury the blanket under a bunch of sand to help disperse heat/not burn the ground, or just carry a fire-pan. I've seen everything from two oil pans (14 inches across and 4-5 inches deep) one upside down on the ground, the other (that you burn things in) right-side up so that it's removed from the ground and doesn't scorch whatever is underneath. Currently I'm using a folding grill that I got at Sears for about $20. We use these on the river and they're awesome!

Cheers,
West

FettsWay

Adventurer
We camp on the gravel bars out of canoes when doing overnight trips on the river, so weight and size is a concern. I like the blanket but didn't realize you can't burn firewood directly on top of it, and had to use an elevated fire pit stand.

Maybe I should just pack some sand/dirt and spread it across the ground to build the fire on? Just really wanting to avoid the exploding rocks.

- Fettsway

We use fire blanket remenants. It is nomex cloth which resembles fiberglass cloth. We use it at work when using air arcs for cutting very thick steel to drape over equipment to protect from the molten flash. We also use it when welding above conveyors. It works great. Completely fire proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior