M416 Build - Phase II - Addition of Hardsided Folding Camper Top

bluebruin

Adventurer
more progress

P1020698.jpg

started on walls. welded 1/2" square tube frame. voids will be filled with 1/2" polyisocyanurate rigid insulation. Outside will be skinned with FRP (fiberglass) panels, inside with 1/8" baltic birch plywood.

P1020699.jpg

Skinned the lower portion of the interior walls. Then sealed all the seams with 3M 740. Too lazy to weld ALL of these seams!
P1020703.jpg

welded in a window frame with flat bar.
P1020705.jpg

Here are some details of how the windows will work. I am making my own. Main reason being, all the RV type windows I can find are too thick when you add all their sliding panes screens, and bulky frames. So, they would make my walls 2-3 inches thick, which I don't want, since these have to fold up on top of one another and fit under my lid. Trying to keep the overall profile of the new camper top 7-8 inches high. Similar to a canvas rooftop tent.
WINDOWDETAIL1y.jpgWINDOWDETAIL2.jpg

The windows will be hinged, and will be able to be popped out about 12 inches using a Truth Hardware Push Rod, like this:
http://www.truth.com/products/Hinged-Window-Hardware/Operators/Push-Bar-Operators

Windows will be 3/8" thick polycarbonate. I will have quilted insulation on the inside that rolls up like a shade when not in use, and will velcro down and seal around the window opening to keep us warm at night, or to provide privacy.

that's it for now. 1 month till summer. lots of work to do.

TheThom

Adventurer
Looks well thought out. Make sure to account for the push bar hardware thickness when your stacking your wall panels inside. I've seen more than a few projects derail because of hardware thickness that wasn't accounted for.

Looks great/

bluebruin

Adventurer
yes, good advice. I think it should fit with the pushbars. I left an inch of space between each level of stacking panels to account for hardware and the unforeseen.... guess we will see!

bluebruin

Adventurer
more welding

Finished welding on the two end walls. Attached hinges.
P1020715.jpg

Welded top of lid that will go over the folding walls. Center hole is for a hatch that will be able to open while you are sleeping, or to let the hot air out when summer/desert camping...

P1020716.jpg

hatch detail.jpg

Here are the windows. 3/8" polycarbonate
P1020717.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
progress on lid

worked a bunch on the lid. its getting heavy... hope it will not be too heavy for me to lift!

Used 20ga to skin the lid. Center hole is where a hatch will be located. It will be gas spring operated and have a screen on the inside. So, we can sleep under the stars! Then if it starts raining, just pull the latch closed and secure a couple latches to hold it shut.

P1020721.jpg

here is the hatch framed out with tubing.
P1020724.jpg

inside of the whole lid assembly.
P1020725.jpg

Installed rigid insulation in the voids. Painted the inside of the lid.
P1020728.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
more welding

Here is the lid with the hatch installed. Insulation installed in all the voids.
P1020730.jpg

Installed gas springs on the end walls.
P1020731.jpg

the lid sitting on the trailer for the first time. It fits pretty nicely and covers up all the insides.
P1020733.jpg

Hoisting this awkward lid into the air to allow the walls to unfold has been a bigger challenge than expected. I had one mishap (read domino like incident) that ripped the hinges off an end wall. I am upgrading all the hinges to heavy duty door hinges.

I am also adding limit straps (not straps but steel rods) that you put in place after the top is up to keep it all in place if its windy. I added some sleeved tubes on the end walls that you slide into place during deployment. Once one wall is up, you stabilize it with the tubes, then you can proceed with lifting the other end of the lid and unfolding the 2nd end wall. Once the two side walls are up, the box is complete and should be sturdy (I hope).

More photos soon.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I was thinking one side wall would make the lid, with a window possibly. Less weight, but I have been working on an aframe, but I like the four wall idea. I would have to do it out of aluminum, and all accessories would be under it. End walls would be the same length, open side walls first, then bring up ends, with the top coming over from one of the walls. Make any sense?

The roof would be the last deployed, and even with aluminum most likely would take two or a pulley system. I will build a miniature when I am done with the current build.

Bob

bluebruin

Adventurer
hi bob... not sure I follow. I am sure there a million and one ways to accomplish the same type of trailer. I just modeled mine after that european "folding caravan" youtube video. The weight is a definite issue. I can lift it myself so far, but I am concerned about how top heavy my trailer will be. Guess we'll see how it handles, no turning back now! I wish I could have done aluminum, but its expensive, and I don't have a way to weld it. The skin doesn't weigh all that much, its just all that tubing, and the fact I used 1/8" flat bar all over. I am sure I could have used lighter gauge steel in a lot of areas, but my local steel supply is "structural" steel and I don't have a lot of choices. Anyway, I'm excited, its coming together! But, I'm behind schedule. I had hoped to by done by June, but its not looking good. A lot of work left to do. Here is a picture of how it stands tonight. I got all the supporting mechanisms put on and its rock solid now with the top up. With the side walls up, it will be even more sturdy. P1020739.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Likewise I wonder about weight and whether you ought to be investigating HD springs. Do you have any estimate of how much the top will weight? Presumably you plan on cutting in a tailgate cos I can't see you lifting this massive weight to access anything.

I would be adding Jacks/supports for the front and rear end of the trailer when stationary. Say front as in later photos you seem to have removed the stock stand. Keep the Ebrake if possible unless you plan on using wheel chocks.

bluebruin

Adventurer
I am planning on stabilizers in all four corners. they will actually be jacks so I can level out for comfortable sleeping. Stock tongue foot is still there.

I am planning on upgrading my gas springs inside the tub to lift the camper top actually. A tailgate isn't a bad idea though. I will try the springs first, I don't love the idea of having to drag everything out the back end to access it.

I will have to go HD springs at some point. I actually would like to fabricate an air bag, trailing arm setup. we'll see. No extreme trails for me for now, first trip or two will be testing the waters with the extra weight. I'd guess I have added about 300-400lbs so far.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles