M416 Build - Phase II - Addition of Hardsided Folding Camper Top

bluebruin

Adventurer
ebrake is intact also. I am also considering swapping the hubs with the correct bolt pattern so I can share a spare with myjeep, as opposed to spacers I'll be running initially. If I get new hubs, I'll get some with electric brakes integrated to help handle the extra weight.

bluebruin

Adventurer
walls done

4 walls are done. door is done.
P1020745.jpg

stared on exterior skin on walls. Using FRP (fiberglass panels) from home depot, smooth side out. Screwing to steel frame with bonding washers. Using 3M 540 sealant to glue panel to steel tubing as well.
P1020753.jpg

I plan to router out the windows with a sacrificial flush trim router bit after the glue is good and set.
Inside view of wall and door:
P1020747.jpgP1020754.jpg

These gate latches are on the inside of the side walls at the top of the wall. So, when you deploy the camper and fold up the side walls, you go inside and latch the walls to prevent them from collapsing in.
P1020752.jpg

Side walls folded down.
P1020755.jpg

I'm behind schedule, but making good progress and things are going together pretty well. Folding system works well.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
A word of caution. figure some way to make a tie off on the outside, for the first couple of runs. Wind does funny things. I think the idea is a great one, but great ideas normally have a few problems hidden at first. I am really glad I followed this build, will be in Colorado this summer, may shout out and see if I can see it up close and personal.

Keep up the great out of the box thinking, man!!!

Bob

bluebruin

Adventurer
When are you coming out to CO? I hope I'm not home and I'm out camping in this thing!! ahah. yeah, if you want to swing by it would be great to meet you.

The fiberglass is done, totally glued and screwed on. I hope to weld the hitch back on and pull the trailer outside to router out the window opening this weekend. got a lot of family things going on, not sure it will happen. I'll post some pictures if I get it done.

bluebruin

Adventurer
I was just checking out some of your build threads.... nice work. You'll have a good laugh when you see mine! Oh well, its the fact that it will function how I want ( I hope), and be within my budget that counts for me. Would be nice to have something so slick and professional as your trailers though! Looking back now, it would probably work even better for me to build a lifted teardrop from scratch, and store my gear inside during the trip, and unload it at camp to make room to sleep. That's what I do now more less with this design anyway.... Not sure I want to be in and out of the box/tub with the trailer deployed anyway. Maybe I'll sell this one day and start over. Your trailers would be a lot less top heavy which is a bonus offroad for sure. Too late to turn back now! At least mine will be unique. I'm sure I'll get a lot of what the hell is that? questions.
Lee

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Mine are about function, not beauty, slick pretty wood finishes, wooden boxes on steel frames absolutely make no sense to me. The trailer industry quit doing 20 years ago. We do not drive things made that way, why we drag them around is beyond me. I appreciate out of the box thinking, you have proven that what you thought out, would work. That is a major accomplishment. Most just copy what someone has done years and years ago.

We are headed to Ouray the 14th of July, may go on to Denver. I have family there. The FJ Summit is in Ouray the 17th thru the 21st. Then we are going on the AllPro expedition through the Grand Mesa and the mesa by Glenwood Springs, on to Jackson Hole, and up into Montana before returning home. The wife may fly back after Yellowstone.

I really like your thinking out of the box. I have thought about doing something similar, but with aluminum above the steel main frame. Eclipse RV has a compound that will keep it from corroding. My idea is a little different. I plan to build a scale model of it after the Summit. In honesty tired of the tear drop building. They are just too much work with my design. Way too much welding, too many angles, too many curves. A real PIA that no one can appreciate until they do it.

Any trailer you have you are going to unload. Tear Drops do not have enough room inside or outside for that matter to carry everything you need. I built the last one with a shelf that holds the solar panel and action packers. To me that is the best answer. I used to just throw them out when I got where I was going and hit the bed, with this one you can get in and sleep without moving them if you want. Unfortunately mine does not have that luxury. May modify it before the Summit but doubtful. I am putting the Progressive Dynamics box in it though and building a quick release propane system for it though.

Now I am thinking your a UCLA fan by the name tag, if so all this nice talk is over, your going down sucker!!!!!! Big time Nebraska fan, saw the *** kicking at the Rose Bowl. Actually expect it to happen in Lincoln. Can hardly wait for college football to get here.

Bob

bluebruin

Adventurer
I plan on some thin wood 1/8" baltic birch on the inside, but only because I need something light to cover up the insulation... but yeah, square everything sure makes things go faster! True, we can "camp" like an RV in a walmart parking lot on a roadtrip, and all our stuff will be secure and packed away which is nice. Good to have the option to not unload. I guess I am thinking in terms of backcountry camping which is what we do 95% of the time.

actually, the bluebruin thing was after my jeep build up. deepwater blue jeep. had a blog called project Blue Bruin. As in blue bear.... a tough "bruin" that could go anywhere... type of thing,. never thought of the association with the college. but that's all most people think.... oh well, made my bed now lay in it, right!? ahhaha I went to CU (colorado) and so I hate the Huskers anyway!! hahhhha.. would have been much better to do this in aluminum, but I don't have a welder for that.

bluebruin

Adventurer
for sure! good thing I don't care much about football. Too busy building things to watch tv :)

Welded on the new tongue tonight. Sweeeet..... the jeep tailgate/tire swing (& massive spare tire) now clears the trailer. That will be so much nicer. Extra 12" in length really helps the maneuverability when backing up too.

So, I have a bunch of misc details and welding to finish up. Then its time to pull it back out of the garage, and router out the windows (dont want fiberglass dust covering everything in my garage). After that I can move on to painting and interior. I have more pictures I'll post of my progress soon.

Installed new tires and wheels. Wow, this thing is a monster. 37's to match the jeep are pretty nuts on a trailer. Extra weight of the new camper top on the leaf springs really makes them flex. I was thinking it might be too flexy, but I'll do some test drives to see. I rocked it by hand back and forth, its about the same amount of rock as my jeep which has a 6" lift. I only have 4-5" of travel in the leafs before they bottom out into the frame.... I was at my local 4x4 shop this week, saw an air bag kit called load lifter 5000 ultimate. Might look into something like that to make the suspension stiff while on the highway. I have a compressor on the jeep, so that would work out nicely.

I tried to weight the new camper top + the original lid I fabricated. If I did it correctly, I think it weighs 600lbs. The trailer nameplate says it weighed about 650 stock. So, if I am sitting at about 1200-1400lbs empty, that's not too horrible. My camping gear can't weight more than a few hundred lbs.

If it does not behave on the road and offroad like I need it to, I can always chop off the 8" tall lid that sits under the camper top, and drop the camper down onto the top of the tub. That should help with COG and driving manners. I can also reverse my spring over axle lift. Or fabricate a new trailing arm/air bag suspension.

wish this was moving along faster, but no time between work and 2 kids these days. Summer is ticking away. must finish soon!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I know this may be a PITA but is there any chance you could make a video of how it goes up/down? I'm curious as to how you make it all work, folding this into that and those coming down to cover whatever... Nothing fancy, just maybe turn the camera on and put it up or down. I'm diggin' this and can't wait to see it finished. :)

bluebruin

Adventurer
I know this may be a PITA but is there any chance you could make a video of how it goes up/down? I'm curious as to how you make it all work, folding this into that and those coming down to cover whatever... Nothing fancy, just maybe turn the camera on and put it up or down. I'm diggin' this and can't wait to see it finished. :)

for sure! Soon as I get a little further along, and I pull it outside, I'll do that. I can't unfold it now, its too tall inside my garage with my tires on it!

bluebruin

Adventurer
I chopped up the original tongue, and added 12" of lenght, sleeved it, and welded it all back together.
P1020771.jpg

Old tires are shot anyway
P1020759.jpg

Old tires vs "new" ones. Bought these on craigslist for $100.
P1020761.jpg

Had to add spacers and wheel adapters to make these fit. New wheels are same bolt pattern as jeep so I can share a spare. Eventually I will swap the hubs.

Been working on a lot of little details. Welding shut end of tubes, welding shut little holes etc..

Here is how it sits now. Quite a beast. Its about 6ft tall at the top of the luggage rack.
P1020772.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
deployed it

Pulled it outside. Here are some shots of how it will look on the road/trail.
P1020773.jpg

P1020774.jpg

P1020775.jpg

fully deployed the camper top for the first time. Went pretty well! Its a 2 person job. I have to lift the top one side at time while my wife puts support braces into place to keep the whole thing from dominoing over. But works pretty well. I think it will take about 5 minutes to setup.

P1020781.jpg

Opened the hatch for the first time. This thing is like 15ft tall! My 3yr old son loves it, he keeps asking when we go camping and "sleep on top of the trailer". That is a 6ft ladder to give a sense of scale.
P1020783.jpg

P1020784.jpg

P1020785.jpg

While I have it outside, I'm going to attempt to router out the window openings.

Last edited:

bluebruin

Adventurer
getting closer

routered out the windows. starting to look more like a camper.

P1020786.jpg

Had to use a VERY small flush trim router bit, since my square tube frame in the wall is only made of 1/2" tube.
P1020789.jpg

Then used a bunch more 3M 540 sealent to mount aluminum angle to the corners of the walls, as well as all the seams where FRP meets steel around the operable windows.

P1020790.jpg

primed the fiberglass (FRP) panels with Zinsser BIN primer.
P1020794.jpg

P1020793.jpg

Intermitent thunders storms today have made working outside a bit of a pain. But, we need the rain! Fires are all over Colorado every summer now. There is one burning 3 miles from here, 600 acres.

P1020795.jpg

Notice the new custom ladder in that photo. I spent the morning desinging and buidling. Its nice and wide, 2ft wide. The bottom of the ladder is adjustable to conform to whatever uneven ground we end up camping/parking on. I used two harbor freight roller stands that I chopped up. LIke this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-capacity-roller-stand-68898.html

There is a tube that slides within another tube, and you just tighten the handle to clamp in position.

At the top where the ladder rests against the trailer, I'll use quick release pins to secure it. When traveling, I plan to use the same quick release pins to mount to my trailer luggage rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke