Suspension limiter straps/brackets

Kellikastle

Suspension limiter straps/brackets
Has any one used these on off road trailers?? The trailer I have bounces a lot on the road and is just scary off road when it is unloaded or even lightly loaded even at low speeds. I am thinking that limiter straps could help with this and be unhooked for off road use when loaded. My trailer is a 8 foot truck Bed trailer with the stock suspension and shocks. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Kellikastle

OK, so I talked with some one with a lot of years experience building and repairing trailers about this. What I was told was, with the suspension I have now, the limiters would keep me from tearing up my shocks but not keep the trailer from jumping when unloaded unless they were very short. He did say to use them to save the shocks from getting destroyed but to make them about 2” shorter than the shocks at full extension and not to worry about unhooking them off road as the shocks would “top out” any way and limit articulation.
I see his point! Any other views on this out there??

Cody1771

Explorer
they only thing the limiting straps do is stop your shocks from being ripped apart if you over flext your axle, your leafs will flex much further than your shocks are capable, and if your AT is running airbags it will prevent your airbags from being ripped open. are you sure your shocks are ok? you might want to concider taking out a leaf, sounds like your springs might be to stiff when unloaded, if they arnt flexing your shocks wont do anything and it will just bounce on the tires. you want some flex even when unloaded.

Kellikastle

I had put new, cheap shocks on it, they are trashed from the empty test drives and will need to be replaced. The springs are the stock 1/2 ton F-150 springs attached to the original rear 8.8 axle assembly. It has a lot of spring bounce and sets high when unloaded. There is a small amount of upward play before it tops out the shocks but not a lot. I plan on building in or hard mounting a lot of the equipment I will carry so it will stay at about half the total planned load when finished. I test pulled it with two -55 gal drums of water, two full size spare tires, a full 20lb propane tank, 10 gal of fuel and 500 lbs of bagged sand, 10 -50 lb bags. It was little problems and totally no bounce. The water alone weighed 917lbs . The drums were up front behind the propane and fuel, the rest was laid out to about to about one foot forward of the tailgate.
With my truck and truck camper loaded I am still going to be under the total weight limit of the truck and the full trailer way under the tow capacity. I have no idea what the trailer weighs so I guessed at 1000lbs.???. My truck is a GMC ¾ ton HD diesel 4x4 with the factory tow package. I have a Warn 6000lb winch under the back of the truck and a Warn 8000lb winch on the front, so if the trailer gets stuck like an boat anchor, I can unhook and drag it out to me....I hope!
It has old car tires 215/75/15 on it now. I will be replacing those before I take it out on the road with 245/75/15 D or preferably E truck tires and run them at near full pressure. Eventually I want to replace the rear axle assembly with one that can mount the same 8 bolt 16” wheels on my truck.
Q. This has gotten heaver than I originally thought. Should I worry about this much weight pushing the rig?
Q. Any one have an idea what other expedition trailers weigh??
Q. Should I put electric brakes on it??
Q. I would like to replace the factory dual tanks and use them as transfer tanks for diesel fuel. Any advice??

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
they only thing the limiting straps do is stop your shocks from being ripped apart if you over flext your axle, your leafs will flex much further than your shocks are capable, and if your AT is running airbags it will prevent your airbags from being ripped open. are you sure your shocks are ok? you might want to concider taking out a leaf, sounds like your springs might be to stiff when unloaded, if they arnt flexing your shocks wont do anything and it will just bounce on the tires. you want some flex even when unloaded.

The airbags on an AT won't be ripped apart if there are no limit straps. The limit straps are there to prevent excessive side to side sway. Without the strap the trailer will sway to the limit of the air bag extension and to the internal air bag bump stop in off road conditions.

With air systems the movement is extremely fast and obeys Newtons third law of motion "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". If the air bag is compressed it will want to expand extremely quickly in the other direction. The speed of the movement is what makes this suspension so formidable off road. The trick is to limit this movement with a limit strap, and prevent rebound with a shock.

Hard to tell what's going on with this trailer without pictures and accurate unloaded and loaded weights.

Kellikastle

OK, the truck bed trailer is a stock 1986 F-150 8ft, bed and rear end, original leaf springs and axle assembly. The load will be around 1800lbs + the weight of the trailer.
IMG241_zps8b596aa2.jpg

Kellikastle

The shocks that I had put on the trailer originally were too short, the auto parts store gave me the wrong shocks the first time. I replaced them with the correct size and better shocks and put new 215/75/17 ST tires on it and all the problems went away. I am looking for a pair of steel wheels 15x8 to use with bigger tires but don't have them yet. I may still put limiter straps on the trailer just be over cautious. I also am wanting to put a pair of RV water tanks under the bed of the trailer, 35gal front & 20gal rear, where the original dual fuel tanks were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000