RV Cabinets

jcook5003

Hey Guys-

I just wanted to see what some people around here were doing for cabinets in existing trailers? My wife and I are planning on remodeling the living quarters on our horse trailer and were looking for ideas. While I dont use it for Overland travel I do use it to drag across fields and "remote national forest camp sites." The trailer is a well built Hart unit that is all aluminum.

I worry about using standard home cabinets in the trailer as they are fairly heavy and I worry about them staying hanging and in place while bouncing down the road or gravel road. I certainly have enough woodworking skill to build the simple "face plate" only style cabinets that are in the trailer but would prefer a pre-fab unit simply to save time. I will be completely gutting the unit so I can use whatever sizes I need.

Advice? Opinions? Ideas? Pictures? Links?

I love this forum and thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
recently been using aircraft interior parts. While not plug and play they are easily remodeled to fit the needs and are extremely light and durable and for the most part cost effective.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
I think you could get away with buying RTA(Ready-To-Assemble) home cabinets of good quality(all plywood construction, no particle board, etc) and assembling them with ample use of glue and additional fasteners. The downside to that is, as you suggested, they will be heavy. I would NOT trust simple pre-fab cabinets that were not assembled with this use in mind to hold up long term. Then again almost every RV I've ever seen has cheap-***** particle board cabinets in it, and they seem to be ok??

My toy-hauler's cabinets are unlike any cabinets I've seen before. They are simply framed out in dimensional lumber(1x3s I think?) to provide the overall size and door locations(think skeleton), and then skinned with 1/4" aluminum covered luan inside and out. They are pretty stout all things considered and should be relatively easy to build. All you would really need is a saw, screw gun and a router(to cleanly cut out your openings). Should be fairly quick to construct as well.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
recently been using aircraft interior parts. While not plug and play they are easily remodeled to fit the needs and are extremely light and durable and for the most part cost effective.

Interesting... what are good sources for used / out of service aircraft interiors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94