The AR-15

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
That case is awesome! Is that a Stevens shotgun? It looks like one that's for sale right now on palmetto state armory for under $200.

Thanks mclovinal: It's a weatherby 12ga.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
Sure. Steel frame and hinges: fiberglass box with aluminum insert. Double locking. I built it for my own use for my jeep jk but after it was done I decided to take it one step further and turn it into a product. Still working on that but I'm very close to production : did get a provisional patent in it. Production version will be all aluminum. Here is a pic of it closed.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/16/fc87fb9b9d800a2f5e352646d4a00431.jpg

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Thank you (sorry for the delayed response). Please post in this thread with updates on the production version. I'm very interested.

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
db7241ceb5124e9664d822f63bdef8db.jpg

This is awesome!

Scott Brady

Founder
Is there a favorite red dot optic at the moment? Mine has seen some serious use, and actually served a tour in Afghanistan, so I would love to hear about the newest, greatest, lightest, etc.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I like my acog. X4 magnification is enough to help old eyes at distance but still low enough for closer stuff.

CodyY

Explorer
Is there a favorite red dot optic at the moment? Mine has seen some serious use, and actually served a tour in Afghanistan, so I would love to hear about the newest, greatest, lightest, etc.
T-1 is still the standard as far as I'm concerned. I'd tell ya about it but I can't afford one

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I have and still prefer the aimpoint micro t1. Robust build quality, very lightweight and ridiculous battery life. In one word - functional.

Interesting sidenote: I was inspired by KC Eusebio to try shooting a hand tossed clay pigeon with a pistol. Well I couldn't do it with a handgun, but I did it with my 300 AAC AR15 with aimpoint micro t1. The clay was in the air about 25-30 yds away. Doubt I'll ever be able to do that consistently (or maybe ever again for that matter) LOL

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Used to be a father and son team did exhibition shooting 22 rifles. They would flip quarter size washers with crayons shoved in the center and shoot the crayon out of the center of it. Iron sights.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Impressive. I've ran my lightweight AR (no glass) through a couple 3 gun matches and rifle only matches. It's so much fun but I struggle with the small targets past a 150yds. I'd like to build a dedicated 3 gun AR with the soon to be released vortex 1-6x strike eagle or the vortex pst 1-4x depending on how the reviews look on the strike eagle. I don't make money shooting competitions otherwise I'd get the vortex razor :sombrero:

Ray_G

Explorer

I'm an ACOG guy for my go to weapons, though I've used a trijicon reflex and Aimpoints on rifles in combat too (and had Marines with me using EOTechs to good effect as well). That said I'm playing with the Mepro RDS and so far have been pretty happy with it. Seems to combine the wide FOV of the EOTech with significantly increased battery life. Though not on par with the lifetime of an Aimpoint its good enough in my book. Seems durable thus far, and comes with IDF pedigree. Been thinking of throwing it on top of my 10.5 upper with an A2 sight behind it for cowitnessing and running it as an HD platform.

KiwiKurt

Explorer

Depends on what you are looking for, imo. I have a few for different purposes.

I really like Elcan Specter DR's and Acogs. The Specter is a bit heavy, but being able to adjust zoom from 1-4 power with a leaver is nice. Acog's are a pretty known quantity in terms of clarity and reliability and are cheaper than the Elcan. They are also pretty durable and hold zero well. I will run these on my standard length uppers for "field" use. The zoom really helps at distance.

For urban/short barrels/or un zoomed The way to go is either the EOtech or the 2moa aimpoint micro. The 4 moa is too much dot. I've used them both extensively, and I like them both for different reasons, but over all like the eotech better. It has a larger window for better field of view and picks up on target faster. I generally avoid the multidot ones, just stick with the standard circle/dot. That being said, if I were to find a smoking deal on an aimpoint micro, I'd jump on it. very reliable sight that holds its zero very well. for size, weight, reliability the aimpoint is the winner. Eotech wins on speed, just not reliability.

Last edited:

darkie3495

Impressive. I've ran my lightweight AR (no glass) through a couple 3 gun matches and rifle only matches. It's so much fun but I struggle with the small targets past a 150yds. I'd like to build a dedicated 3 gun AR with the soon to be released vortex 1-6x strike eagle or the vortex pst 1-4x depending on how the reviews look on the strike eagle. I don't make money shooting competitions otherwise I'd get the vortex razor :sombrero:

I would recommend saving up for the 1-6x Razor. I ran the 1-4x pst for a few matches and it worked well, but once you have a chance to shoot the Gen 2 you'll wonder why you didn't buy that first.
15589739866_84700f423d_c.jpg

Current 3-gun setup:
17160815512_2b4cb6a9aa_z.jpg

Picture of my first 3-gun rifle which was a 14.5" with the 1-4x:
IMG_0943.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior