Tent Cot turned into RTT

AFSOC

Explorer
Very clever, nice work. I have a Tentcot double in my arsenal, my son has an old flat top single and we find them ideal in certain camping situations to stay up off of roots, briars and deep sand. I like that all four sides can be opened up for screened ventilation. The double is particularly robust, standing up to gale force winds.

If I may ask, why do you want the tentcot mounted so high on the vehicle? What are the advantages over conventional off the ground pitching offered by tentcots?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I think the whole RTT thing is about quick and easy set up for nights on end when over landing just pop open and everything is ready to go. No need to dig out stuff if late or if just for one night.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Oasis RTT? was doing something similar some years ago with a commercially produced RTT, lightweight and removeable at camp, would eliminate a few burdens of a traditional RTT. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

The Oasis II, since discontinued. We've loved it. The tent cot is a great adaptation for an RTT without the weight. The Oasis II weighs in at 39 lbs.

Tsetup.jpg

ventura911

Adventurer
Been wanting to this ever since i got my Gobi roof rack. I just welded up some simple brackets, took the legs to the TC off, and bolted everything to the roof rack. It didnt take me long at all to get it made and bolted down. It works good, but i need to tune it in. i need to get some padding so the TC doesnt rub on the roof rack. I also need to have my wonderful Mother in law sew me up a waterproof cover. I put my 2 1/2 year old daughter up there and she loves it. For the family i want to buy the double tent cot and do it up the same.

I did something similar, though I chose to attach it in an extended, but not fully-deployed, state to allow the mattress and bedding to remain inside (yes, I know it looks like a bodybag! lol):
image (3).jpegimage (11).jpeg
image (4).jpegimage (12).jpeg
image (5).jpegimage (13).jpeg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
The thing about the new tentcots are the legs. They went from bars to posts. Luckily I got a new old style with the bars. I hate digging the feet out of the dirt, and for a RTT, would make too many individual pressure points. That, and if you use the legs and it moved enough, over the side you go.
BTW, I got a M416, so need to build a lid for it and my tentcot will be placed on that.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Ventura, that looks good! Nice and minimalist. Simple. And about the legs vs. bars problem, just drill some holes in a 2 by 4, drop the feet in the holes, and bolt the 2 by 4 to the roof rack.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
To each, his own. The tent cot is a great product, but I really don't understand or see the value of mounting and deploying it on the top of the vehicle. I'd lash it to the roof but deploy it on the ground, much safer and handles wind better especially when using the vehicle as a break. IMO. Thanks for sharing pics. Nice house!

BADDANDY

Adventurer
The great thing about a tentcot is that it doesn't need to be permenantly mounted anywhere, but can be used anywhere, i.e., ground, roof, top of trailer, in a trailer, inside a screen room, old cabin, rest area windbreak, etc.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Plus they're wicked cheap, compared to what you (over) pay for some RTT's. Not all of us overland in Earthcruisers, some of us just camp, sometimes even in t-shirts and flip-flops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94