Tent Cot turned into RTT

Been wanting to this ever since i got my Gobi roof rack. I just welded up some simple brackets, took the legs to the TC off, and bolted everything to the roof rack. It didnt take me long at all to get it made and bolted down. It works good, but i need to tune it in. i need to get some padding so the TC doesnt rub on the roof rack. I also need to have my wonderful Mother in law sew me up a waterproof cover. I put my 2 1/2 year old daughter up there and she loves it. For the family i want to buy the double tent cot and do it up the same.

Attachments

• tent cot 3.jpg
    tent cot 3.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 113
  • tent cot.jpg
    tent cot.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 132
  • tent cot 2.jpg
    tent cot 2.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 104

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Had the same idea, but length wise and just placed as is on a wooden floor if a rack ever fell in my lap for cheap. I'll be using mine on the ground until I get a M416, then using it as a RTT on the trailer's cap.

Yeah, i had it length wise first but then there was no room for anything else to go up there, and no room to walk. thinking about making up a ladder if i get the double TC for my family

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Oasis RTT? was doing something similar some years ago with a commercially produced RTT, lightweight and removeable at camp, would eliminate a few burdens of a traditional RTT. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
A ladder is what I would think would be required for lengthwise too. The single is easy to lug around and would'nt be needing a permanent mounting, but those doubles are heavier, especially the Cabelas double. My XL Tent cot has gotta be 1/2 the weight of the Cabelas double.

Yeah I haven't looked on the size or weight on the double, still waiting on a good deal on craigslist. I have the ladder in the rear that comes on the gobi it is good for now. I will let everyone know how it works out. We do a lot of one and two nighters doing bike t-shirt races, mountain biking, camping, pretty much what everyone else does. Think it is going to help my setup a lot.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
A ladder is what I would think would be required for lengthwise too. The single is easy to lug around and would'nt be needing a permanent mounting, but those doubles are heavier, especially the Cabelas double. My XL Tent cot has gotta be 1/2 the weight of the Cabelas double.

x2. Those cabelas double cots are almost 60 lbs, and they're not much smaller than the size of my ARB RTT. They sure are cheaper though, and they deploy even faster. Hm... now you have me thinking...

BADDANDY

Adventurer
They may be more like 75lbs. I couldn't pick up the one in a box by myself due to the weight and size, unlike my Tentcot, which is no problem with one hand. The one bad thing about a Cabelas double is that it has a center bar running lengthwise down the middle. Mainly that would be an issue for someone that plans on sleeping in the middle, but it is big and roomy. Oh, also, the rainfly is flat on top which holds the water unlike the domed Tentcot.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I have been wondering about something like this. As I find RTT's to be a huge investment for a tent. But I know they are probably really good to spend the 800+ on one. But this seems like a better idea in the long, I mean what happens if you destroy your RTT in a roll over or what not.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Called it!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/86557-why-are-roof-top-tents-so-expensive-any-home-made-ideas?p=

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83912-Sleeping-in-the-back-of-a-JK?p=1185809#post1185809

s7_516987_999_02.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier