Finally have a keeper cummins to build...

rikinwyoming

Observer
Finally, after trading back and forth 4 different trucks,,, came across what I wanted to build my expedition rig...1997 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 diesel truck. The truck has the 12 valve cummins diesel engine. Starts and runs great. Doesn't burn any oil. 4x4 works good. Truck only has 171k miles!!! Turned up the pump a bit. It also has the NV4500 5 speed manual transmission. The transmission has been rebuilt about a year ago. It has a upgraded input shaft and and a heavy duty dual disk clutch. The truck also has a Fass 150 gph fuel pump. The exhaust is a better breathing and performing 6 inch set up. It has a 8" suspension lift with 37-12.50x17 Pro Comp mud tires on aftermarket 17" rims. This truck has NO RUST. Both the heat and A/C work great! I have installed a new A/C condenser and aftermarket headlights, ranchhand front bumper. Once I got it I replaced every leaking seal, so no leaks at all. Also for reliability replaced all the u-joints!

In the garage waiting to be installed I have a 12k winch and a portable winch cradle. Hopefully will get the 00 wire to wire the front and back for that soon... Today I picked up this contractor topper, I wanted one with the full doors on the back but with my budget ended up buying this one (ARE brand) for $200 today. Also picked up a 110 gallon fuel tank which will be mounted in the bed up by the cab of course.... Gutted the shelving in the topper already and getting ready in the next week or so to insulate it. Topper also has two solar fans on the top for ventilation...Also planning on building a floor organizer but that is the spring project!!

Here's a few pics,, and yes I am very happy with her, getting about 18mpg now so no complaints,, once the aux tank is in I will hold 145 gallons,,,that should get me anywhere I need to go!! lol

topper2_zpsb61f1005.jpg

topper1_zps02758226.jpg

Boz

Observer
Awesome! I love 2nd Gens and thats a darn good looking one. If you plan on keeping the 8" lift, ditch those short arms for a long arm set up. I believe there are a few companies that offer them but if I still had my 2nd Gen, dodgeoffroad.com would get my business (no affiliation, just opinion). Short arms suck for anything over 4" of lift.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Solid rig! My only suggestion is to push the front axle forward a few inches with some longer control arms or a leaf spring conversion.

Boz

Observer
Thank you for the compliments,, and ya I am planning on replacing the short arms the articulation is horrible...

:cool: The ride improvement is worth it by itself. I went from a 4.5" short arm kit to 6" coils and long arms and it was night and day.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have to agree with everyone else that your Dodge is a very fine :Wow1:example! It looks like the truck already has most of the mods needed to get you where you want to go both on and off-road. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with that beast and also seeing some pics of your rig in the bush. Thanks for posting up! Cheers, Chilli.:)

rikinwyoming

Observer
Thanks, putting a steering box brace on this weekend which ties into both sides of the frame and puts a bearing on the bottom of the steering box...hopefully will take some pics...

rikinwyoming

Observer
Getting the tank ready to be mounted into the bed, still working on the framing for the mount but here's the tank ready to go and lined!!

auxtank2_zps8375583f.jpg

rikinwyoming

Observer
Put the new steering box brace in today and some back up lights...
The lights are just cheapie wallmart ones, but angled them so that they should light up the rear corners of the truck pretty well at night. At the amount of lift I have the standard reverse lights don't cut it...I mounted them inboard as hopefully it will protect them from being smashed... I don't use the bumper step to get into the truck with I step on the hitch, so it should be good to go...
reverselights_zpse262f167.jpg

The steering box brace I really like, and made a helluva difference. I have no play in my steering anymore even with the large tires. The brace mounts to the same bolt holes as your front stabilizer bar. You also remove the nut and split washer off the bottom of the steering box and replace them with an extended shaft which then goes into a nice big bearing...the unit is cnc cut from 1/4 inch steel and I believe shipped the unit was about $130...here's the link I found it on...http://salina.craigslist.org/ptd/3628358661.html
Oh, I forgot to mention that with 8 inches of lift, I had to fabricate some extensions for the front steering stabilizer, hence why the stabilizer brackets do not mount flush to the frame. The brace is mounted to the frame and sandwiched inbetween the frame and the adapter plates for the stabilizer.
steeringboxbraceandbearing2_zps229befae.jpg

steeringboxbraceandbearing_zpsf8250b30.jpg

n2dfire

Observer
Nice Rig, Very Nice....I totally agree with the long arm suggestion, but for me the real question is...did you get the Miller?

rikinwyoming

Observer
Nice Rig, Very Nice....I totally agree with the long arm suggestion, but for me the real question is...did you get the Miller?

As in a miller welder to get the fuel tank cage made? Yes I got a welder in the garage now so things should move along a little quicker...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz