GMC 1500 AWD Van

86cj

Explorer
I have been lurking on the 4x4 camper van section off and on for years and would like a GMC 3500 4 door Cargo Van with the Quigley 4x4 option:drool:. Looking at the resale of newer chevy vans the $50,000 Quigley was hard to justify. I would like to give a special thanks to all the AWD 1500 owners here. We just ordered a GMC AWD 1500 passenger van and deciding to get the van was made much easier due to all the info here, thanks again:sombrero:

Finding the AWD van new or used to test drive has not been easy, BTW they drive real nice, we had to order to get decent options (like 3:73). It's not a 4x4 but AWD should be better for snowy road miles and good enough to see some forest service roads in the summer, if we want to go deeper into the woods than that, we can tow a Jeep LJ.

To keep it light it won't have a full camper package, it will have a quality bed (that is ready all the time) with storage for totes or coolers underneath, a 12V fridge/ battery and porta-potty. We don't mind camping in the rain, but have packed up one to many wet tents.

I am “trying” to ignore all the lift threads but do plan on some real tires immediately, BFG A/T's 245-75-17 or 265-70-17 both 1” taller than the stock 245-70-17's. I will look at the Cooper AT3 in person before I go with my old favorite though.

My choice of steel gray color has been discontinued along with our other two choices sandstone beige and silver, Dark Blue it is. (Sorry MrNacho)

BTW: MrNacho your van looks good with the lift and partially black wheels, the pic's made me feel better about going with my 4th color choice.:Wow1:

I am looking at some 80-20 for a sleeping platform and my wife is looking at curtain material today, it begins…….

Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
aloha,

In the process of Converting a 2010 AWD Chevy Express had it lifted yesterday, putting new shoes on tomorrow; would love to compare notes if your down...

JeepMI

Observer
Very cool! I drive a chevy express for work and it's a great driving van. I see them with 200k+ miles all the time, very reliable vehicles.. Make sure you post some pictures when you get it!

Desert Dan

Explorer
Sounds Great.

Post up some pictures when you get it.

Keep it simple, light and versatile.

I keep wondering why GM doesn't make a 3/4 ton AWD van?

86cj

Explorer
Van at Dealer.jpgVan Side.jpg

It took exactly 8 weeks for delivery, but arrived in great condition with no issues.
The GMC dealer was apprehensive about ordering the van and getting stuck with it (nobody has these in stock here), their comment almost made me walk on them. They realized my slight and became very helpful and diligent for a great experience. While we were picking up the van and doing the paperwork the Van generated ALOT of interest on the lot, to their surprise and my gratification.:ylsmoke:

The local Discount tire took my 4 mile old tires in as trade and put on 5 BFG A/T 265-70-17 E load range. I have not had any rubbing in the first 40 miles but will lift the front it a little if it does. This is my first 1/2 ton with rack and pinion steering and really like how well it drives and rides.

First on the list is mud flaps, undercoating, paint protective film, cargo van rubber floormat over the carpet (carpet pad is at least an inch thick) and some Wet Okole seat covers...

I bought the rubber floor at the local cargo van outfitter and had a hands on tour through the warehouse and all the goodies, a weatherguard mechanic grade cabinet will be going in the back.
My van like all 1500 pass vans only has two bench seats (2500's have 3 or 4), the floor rails go all the way to the back of the van. They are a big lump under the carpet in the cargo area, they also have many bolts along their whole length. I am going to leave them rather than cut them behind my last seat, the rails will be drilled for platform mounts and save me from drilling through the floor. There is little info about seat rails out there......
BTW: I noticed my first post only thanked the AWD1500 owners on here, I appreciate all the Vans posted here big or small...............

Reactions: FMF

Accrete

Explorer
Greetings,
I read you were pondering including a bed platform with storage under...
IMO there is no better _bed_ for home or rv than the Froli Sleep System. I have one in my 2010 Chevy 1500 AWD van conversion (link to build thread). My wife liked it so much we actually put one in our home and then our 38ft 5th wheel we now full time in.

Here is a photo of the interior, it does have a 24" fiberine roof on it...but the bed platform is at the right size to fit a 70 quart YETI or 70 qt ENGEL cooler as shown in this image:

TCLawdInteriorv2c.jpg

Also, just an FYI here is a photo of the outside, i read you were not really going for a big lift or tires, i kept the stock 245 70 r17 and really like the ride with the 10 ply side walls i now have on there with aftermarket rims (still stock size, and no lift).

TCLawdVanSM.jpg

Best wishes on your build.
Thom

steelheadbum

Adventurer
86cj
Welcome and congrats can't wait to see it all come together, but the journey never ends....$$$$ lol.
"What's wrong with a little ground clearance"
unebujeq.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wanderbum

New 2

Hi All... I am new here and am in the same new project boat! Just found/ bought a used 2006 Express AWD passenger van only 58,000 miles! Sooooo... looking forward to seeing how your build goes and researching for my own! YEEHAW!

86cj

Explorer
Thanks for the comments, I am a big fan of ground clearance and am Trying to ignore all the lift threads, how much luck I have is yet to be determined. :sombrero:
Pic's like steelheadbum posted are a bad influence..........The first Ford I ever considered was a new Ford Quigley van, just sayin'......
Accrete what PSI are you running, I started at 45psi and think the ride is not harsh at all for load range E.....

I found a place that sells the wax frame coating for GM vehicles, http://store.daubert.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=D&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=Noxrust&Product_Code=1786061
I have not received it yet, but there is not much info out there about the issue. I want to touch up some areas of the frame.
The one bench will stay most of the time, so this is the beginning point. A bare interior cargo van with the rear A/c heat, factory window package and all options was very close to the passenger van in price, but did have the drivers side 60/40 door which I like. The pass van had a headliner, ductwork, floor insulation, window trim, seats and legal belts for close to the same money.. I worked at a Van Conversion company years ago and always liked the factory parts as much as possible for longevity. I will miss the drivers side door and envy all you guys with real ground clearance.

Attachments

• Rear Inside.jpg
    Rear Inside.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 251

Accrete

Explorer
...Accrete what PSI are you running, I started at 45psi and think the ride is not harsh at all for load range E...
Well...since i'm a black-top kinda guy ~95% of the time... i do run them up at about 70psi and i LOVE the handling. The van drives like it is on rails. And the wet-road handling is very sure footed.

86cj

Explorer
Update

The Van is coming along well and we hope to go camping soon, so far the basic stuff is done.
Inside we have a place to sleep and some lockable storage, I also added some extra sound deading and insulation, the first row bench will remain. The body got some rubber undercoating and wax type anti-rust sprayed into all the panels. I had to trim the front mudflaps twice to clear the 265’s with no lift. The Wet Okole seat covers fit like a glove and make the seats more comfy and warmer. Instead of curtains we cut out Reflectix pieces a little oversize and they stay tight against the glass for a great sunshade. I need another battery and some area lighting, the only wiring I have done was cut the 2 rear speaker wires and plugged them into some 8” marine speaker boxes for a big improvement. The rear two channels had 4 full range speakers that were really muddy and weak, we don’t often listen to music when camping, but like to Jam on the way there!
I decided to use the floor rails instead of fighting with them and have come to like the idea even if my clean sheet of paper ideas all had to change. The whole platform only has 4 mounting brackets with a single bolt each, the cabinets mount to the floor and walls. I was worried the rear cabinet would conflict with sleeping but when the mattress is made it should be flush with the top. I am glad we can sleep sideways in the van it helps a lot, raising the bed closer to window height helped gain a little. A portta potty will fit right inside the back door on the drivers side......

There is not much info out there on Passenger Vans or AWD Vans, I hope this helps some people looking at one.

Attachments

• Van floor rails.jpg
    Van floor rails.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Van rear open.jpg
    Van rear open.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 465
  • Van side open.jpg
    Van side open.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 436
  • Wet Okole seat covers.jpg
    Wet Okole seat covers.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 378

southpier

Expedition Leader
i'm planning on unloading the Tacoma and moving to a van in about a year.

Q: why a 1500 series? is that a half ton rating?

Q: did you have AWD experience prior and (2 part question) do you like it?

following along; thanks

86cj

Explorer
The GMC AWD only comes in a 7300lb GVW 1500, it's not a heavyweight offroader.
I have had 4x4's for the last 20 years but this the first AWD, the Auto Trac option on the last GM worked flawlessly. The van has a 65%-35% rear bias on it's AWD and has been un-detectable so far it feels RWD. I think GM did a good job on the ride and handling, I wonder if the van conversion folks helped them out, it goes down the road great even in the wind.
I was not eager to buy a Full size van but the test drive went great, the 5.3 with a 3:73 does well. I asked a lot of random contractors about their GM vans prior to considering one and they are highly recommended, almost never in the shop was the opinion. Their "drives great" comments were what made me take the Van idea seriously. The 6.0 engine guys did not like the gas mileage 12-14 and the 5.3 guys were surprised at the highway numbers close to 20 mpg's. So yea I wanted a 3500 4x4 Quigley and am doing a good job of convincing myself the $15,000 cheaper AWD 1500 will take us all over this country and be OK to live with everyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior