Needs ideas: packing for 4

Ramjet

Explorer
I recently picked up one of the Mountian Hardwear duffle bags, they rectangular in shape and pack really well. I guess I don't have to mention RedOxx? They make some bombproof stuff.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I have faced some similar challenges, compounded by trying to fit it all in a Jeep. We just use duffle bags, sorted a few ways:
1. Dad and son share one duffle for 80% of activity/attire
2. Mom and daughter share one (larger) duffle for 80% of the activity/attire
<snip>
Calico-800-10-L.jpg

You fit all that and 4 people into that Jeep? That's some impressive packing. :bowdown:

Honu

lost on the mainland
We went out let each kids pick out a camp pack pillow
I use down but kids and wife used big synthetic was just to much room wasted
So now we all have camp pillow ? Space saved is worth it I ended up with a large nemo and I put just a touch of air and a fleece folded up under its very nice and comfy

Man these are some great ideas. I too struggle with the full size pillow thing. It makes the nights better but 4 pillows is so much space. I like the down pillow idea. I also have a travel pillow I got at rei that works well, maybe three more are in order.

khronus79

Adventurer
We use large REI classic duffel bags http://www.rei.com/product/795134/rei-classic-duffel-bag-large, 1 for each member of the family. The storage pouches doubles as a toiletry/personal stuff bag and they go attached to their respective duffel bags. Before my wife used to pack everything on 2 huge expandable luggage bags and to get to one thing you'd have to get everything else out, I hated that.
We recently went on a 2 week trip and the duffel bags provided enough room for everything we needed, smaller bags also forced us to rethink what is really essential.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You fit all that and 4 people into that Jeep? That's some impressive packing. :bowdown:

Yeap, rattle free. I was always good at Tetris. I have progressed over the years. Started with this:

camp-26-L.jpg

Then this:
IMG_1643-L.jpg

IMG_1647-L.jpg

(boy did I hate having that tire in there)

Before we migrated to the Jeep, and eventually figured out how to pack more efficiently:
IMG_1853-L.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Packing...ha! I'm borderline OCD when it comes to packing. I'm actually packing as we speak for our DV trip tomorrow with 8gals of extra fuel and 8gal of water etc.

My packing usually starts a few days in advance because I arrange and rearrange stuff, try different boxes, containers etc to find the best location for things. Having a roof rack helps a lot but I do my best (if possible) to keep the weight up top to a minimum. Here are some things I've learned from others and from experience:

1. Don't bring the whole living-room and the kitchen sink, keep the weight as light as possible and in the camping spirit. This doesn't mean you have sleep under a tarp either. Just like with finances budget things i.e. allocate one box for food, one bag for clothes etc as appropriate for your truck and family.
2. Use the roof (cargo box, roof-rack etc) for camping equipment (tent, pads, chairs, table etc) that tends to be bulky but not too heavy.
3. Build a storage platform or drawers efficiently to allow storage below and on top of it without wasting the precious cargo space.
4. Use containers and strap them down well so they don't become projectiles in case of an accident either on-road or off.
5. Keep the heavier items as low as possible and in front of the rear axle (preferably in the middle of the truck if possible) or at least right over the rear axle.
6. Light, bulky items can go towards the very back of the truck i.e. behind the rear axle.
7. Check everything again to make sure it's all strapped down.
8. Weigh your items and accessories to know where you stand in terms of GVWR.

Roof-top canvas bag.
F654333C-6389-4C53-ACA4-E92CC7DBC2A4-3343-0000016F7EC1EF7B_zps96a8a073.jpg

F0C1437F-A967-431D-BD26-88AAA40C6F5D-3343-0000016FE100327D_zps0f9f9985.jpg

Low-profile storage platform ($30)
IMG_1413Custom.jpg

Day trip setup (2 adults, one kid and 50lbs dog):
42FA4E4D-0A97-4552-9B59-EB052C8B9606-8177-0000055315A87AF2.jpg

Four day setup with solar-shower, porta-potty etc (2 adults, one kid):
6F959CF8-CDFB-40A8-8538-2335DB4A8556-3343-0000017334FDA2CF_zpsf5044ccb.jpg

D0949BA2-2B8B-410D-A277-4AB34DBDA3BB-3343-000001737695C455_zps93056601.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Russell, your tag says Locked and Lifted now. I dimly remember that thread, did you opt for front and rear ARB's ?

preacherman

Explorer
Stioc

I love the idea of packing to fit a pre set size instead of packing everything and then trying to fit it in. Great suggestion, it is camping after all.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I like full size firm pillows and carry mine from home but make it packable by stuffing in a lightweight dry bag, compressing fully then close the roll top. It will be about 1/3 normal size but could easily be made smaller. The dry bag does double duty as an extra pillow for reading, etc. Place some spare jackets inside and close with as much captive air as desired.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
we also recently went the duffel route but we went with large ones and we put the kids sleeping bags and pads helinox chairs and all their stuff in them this way we each have our own bag
got tired of 4 sleeping bags 4 sleep pads 4 clothes bags 4 chairs etc.. just way to many loose bags :) so now 4 main bags !

so far it works pretty well once the sleeping bags are out the duffel has a lot of room so finding stuff is a bit easier since some room to move things around all clothes in pack cubes using the ones from Ikea since they are so cheap :) also have some left over that are nicer time will tell how the ikea holds up ?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I really like that system. I could see using this in our truck camper. Everyone gets their own bag and color and then the tote gets parked inside. I may have to find one of those.

theclymb.com has the Mountainsmith Modular 4 bag on its site right now for $65 + 20% off with "wintergear" as the code bringing the total to ~$52. I just bought one at that price, PM if you're not a member and I will invite you.

Giovanni Ground

I am also planning to have a wonderful campaign with my family in the coming days but the problem is same like you.
I am also finding the solution of appropriate packing of all needed things for my trip.The mentioned tips and methods are great and i will definitely follow the suggested ideas.
I would suggest you to take clothes according to the temperature of the area where you are going for your campaign and also take aid box with you.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I use an Action packer for all of the sleeping stuff. Fullsize pillows go into one of those huge ziplock bags with the one way valve on it so I can squeeze the air out. it gets squished to like 2-3" thick with 3 pillows in it. Cloths go into Patagonia Black Hole duffels. I find them as nice or nicer than the North Face bags and cheaper. I use a 60L and my wife and kid share a 90L.

Firesong

My wife used to get really upset that I would take over packing the vehicle. My OCD. However I let her pack once. We couldn't find a damn thing once we got on site in the mountains. She didn't know where she packed stuff. Don't get me started on packing the vehicle... Tetris is right. My wife isn't great at video games. I do let her set up tents and stuff lol. Now she only gets mildly upset till we leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94