Trying to get a trailer

fowldarr

Explorer
So, I have been keeping my eyes open for a trailer to haul all my camp gear, and for hauling scout gear. This is what I have found. Before you judge...it is $600, and he has a little room to move.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363661031.753500.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363661044.197061.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363661052.963613.jpg

fowldarr

Explorer
It will be a slow build if it happens, fix the rust first,or at least do something to slow it down, make sure lights work, then eventually get to the axle, trim those fenders, etc.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
First off, we don't judge or flame here. Just a group of great people with a lot of knowledge.
Second, they are all slow builds, we are always changing something.
This trailer looks like a great starting point. First, like the others stated, lose the axle.
Make sure the new axle has brakes. You won't regret. If you use the same bolt pattern, you will only have to carry one spare.
Don't get overwhelmed. Finish each item you start before you move to the next.
Ask as many questions here as you can. There are no stupid questions.
LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES! Not that I ever make any, just sayin.

Jeff

Woods

Explorer
I flame and judge and I'm pretty sure I'm here.

For what you're looking to do, that looks like a great start. What's your tow vehicle? As long as it will handily pull the weight, I don't see much of a downside.

First off, we don't judge or flame here. Just a group of great people with a lot of knowledge.
Second, they are all slow builds, we are always changing something.
This trailer looks like a great starting point. First, like the others stated, lose the axle.
Make sure the new axle has brakes. You won't regret. If you use the same bolt pattern, you will only have to carry one spare.
Don't get overwhelmed. Finish each item you start before you move to the next.
Ask as many questions here as you can. There are no stupid questions.
LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES! Not that I ever make any, just sayin.

Jeff

WahooCreek

Flamer vs. Non-flamer . . . There's some humor in there somewhere.

To the OP:
Looks ideal for toting a bunch of scouts' gear.

You might do some searching for threads and websites where scouts have customized the interiors of enclosed trailers with various shelving needs, etc. I've seen them before but never bookmarked them, so no help for you. Rack on top looks like it could handle a canoe or two as well.

fowldarr

Explorer
And maybe some kayak racks on the side. I have a 2012 tundra, should pull it just fine. I will have to look into axles. I really don't know much about trailers so it will definitely be a learning curve. I can't get out to see it for two weeks. Hoping he still has it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Send him a deposit and ask for a BSA discount.
or donation "Tax deductible" I like the trailer It will make a great start.
You may be able to get some Merit badge classes worked in there as the boys work on it.
Find a company that will wrap it for the Scouts. That would be cool!

Be Prepared!
Mark Harley Eagle Scout 1988

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior