View Poll Results: How many chocolate chip cookies can you eat in one sitting? Overland unrelated

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • One. I am dainty

1 2.27%
  • Two. one to inhale and one to nibble

3 6.82%
  • Four. Two for me, two for you

8 18.18%
  • All of them...cookie monster style!

32 72.73%

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OPERATION: Overland VEHIcross

Red face OPERATION: Overland VEHIcross

Follow Us On Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VehiCR...46676208766370

Twitter @VehiXAmerica

So I have so far kept this whole thing hush hush but, it's time now to reveal my plans. I have a 99' VEHIcross that I am planning on eventually taking on a jaunt down the PanAmerican Highway to Patagonia. For now though I will be taking a maiden voyage from Anchorage Alaska to San Diego California down the PCH and over to Phoenix Arizona. Even better I will be doing my trips to benefit The Crossing Church in Birchwood AK and it's missionary endeavors. http://www.crossingtonewlife.org/site/missions.htm

My wife and I will begin next April 2014 leaving from Chugiak AK, heading down the AlCan, to Kalispell MT to see my dad, and then eventually to San Diego. I will accompanied by my buddy Harlan on his adventure bike, and copiloted by my beautiful wife.

In a bush plane yesterday

So I have hit it hard making the VX as ExPo ready as possible, I have to contend with limited space, and the electronic failures that come with modern/limited run vehicles, but I also have the benefits of having a short wheelbase, high ground clearance and dashing good looks.
    For starters I built a front bumper and added some big ***** lights

Then I built a drawer and a cutting board

I then built a rear bumper (sort of) basically just a tow/jack point.

next thing we have on order is the RTT that comes next week, the vinyl wrap with the links to the Facebook, Twitter feed, Church Missions, and the logos of the sponsors, as well as the name "VEHIcrossAmerica!"
    We planned for a three week trip so we can enjoy the camping, food, B&B's, adventures, and general rabble-rousing/swash-buckling.

I need to still fashion an on-board water system, accumulate the camping gear, change the fluids/belts, spare tire, aluminum skids, get more GoPro cameras. get more sponsors, build the website, debug the lights, instal VisonX lights as interior lights, make brochures to drum up support for donations, get a Ram Mount for the iPad, and mount the HiLift.

I welcome any and all suggestions. If I can get a sticky on this thread being that it will be a year long race to outfit my team and rig for the journey. I will also post all of the camping trips up here we are taking to test our gear and vehicle, learning to cooperate on the journey. If anyone wants to donate money to children's missions I will link to the organization later, or you can donate gear for the trip, anything you think we could use or need would be greatly appreciated. We are all making sacrifices for these trips and these kids, it's going to be a great journey.
    Last edited by Ala5ka; 03-23-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Awesome! Love the Vehicross, and it sounds like a neat trip.

- Andy

interesting choice of vehicle.

will the interior space grow on you?

I've had the VX for three years now and space is always an issue but the RTT should help. Nobody seems to do much with the VX in this way so I'm hoping others may jump on board later

Check out the OVERLAND VX page on Facebook and find out how you can support children in developing countries!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VehiCR...6676208766370#

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of extra parts I should carry with me?

One thing to point out is where you mounted those huge lights blocking airflow to the radiator, it may not be an issue in cooler weather but could cause overheating in warmer temps.

I put those lights low so they don't reflect back into my eyes. I have two radiator fans., and transmission cooler for those hot days I just picked up some parts and oil. I need some ideas on how I should carry extra fuel, and water. The RTT is right on the bars so no rack, and no tire gate, not sure how safe it is to carry in the cab. And water, should I go tank or Jerry can?

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    I put those lights low so they don't reflect back into my eyes. I have two radiator fans., and transmission cooler for those hot days I just picked up some parts and oil. I need some ideas on how I should carry extra fuel, and water. The RTT is right on the bars so no rack, and no tire gate, not sure how safe it is to carry in the cab. And water, should I go tank or Jerry can?
    My radiator fan pulls over 4000 cfm and would still get warmer than I'd like before I moved my lights, so just keep it in mind.

I will test and retest. Worst comes to worst I pull them off when I head down south, keeping an eye on my temperature for sure

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast