OPERATION: Overland VEHIcross

How many chocolate chip cookies can you eat in one sitting? Overland unrelated

• Total voters

Ala5ka

VX'er
Follow Us On Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VehiCROSSAmerica/346676208766370

Twitter @VehiXAmerica

So I have so far kept this whole thing hush hush but, it's time now to reveal my plans. I have a 99' VEHIcross that I am planning on eventually taking on a jaunt down the PanAmerican Highway to Patagonia. For now though I will be taking a maiden voyage from Anchorage Alaska to San Diego California down the PCH and over to Phoenix Arizona. Even better I will be doing my trips to benefit The Crossing Church in Birchwood AK and it's missionary endeavors. http://www.crossingtonewlife.org/site/missions.htm

My wife and I will begin next April 2014 leaving from Chugiak AK, heading down the AlCan, to Kalispell MT to see my dad, and then eventually to San Diego. I will accompanied by my buddy Harlan on his adventure bike, and copiloted by my beautiful wife.

IMG_1439_zps4bae8b74.jpg

IMG_1437_zps4488cbcf.jpg

In a bush plane yesterday :)

So I have hit it hard making the VX as ExPo ready as possible, I have to contend with limited space, and the electronic failures that come with modern/limited run vehicles, but I also have the benefits of having a short wheelbase, high ground clearance and dashing good looks.
For starters I built a front bumper and added some big ***** lights

IMG_1426_zps853aca42.jpg

Then I built a drawer and a cutting board

IMG_1441_zps28e3fe22.jpg

IMG_1443_zps2476604a.jpg

IMG_1442_zps80dccdd4.jpg

I then built a rear bumper (sort of) basically just a tow/jack point.

IMG_1429_zps29a27381.jpg

IMG_1445_zps426ee43b.jpg

next thing we have on order is the RTT that comes next week, the vinyl wrap with the links to the Facebook, Twitter feed, Church Missions, and the logos of the sponsors, as well as the name "VEHIcrossAmerica!"
We planned for a three week trip so we can enjoy the camping, food, B&B's, adventures, and general rabble-rousing/swash-buckling.

I need to still fashion an on-board water system, accumulate the camping gear, change the fluids/belts, spare tire, aluminum skids, get more GoPro cameras. get more sponsors, build the website, debug the lights, instal VisonX lights as interior lights, make brochures to drum up support for donations, get a Ram Mount for the iPad, and mount the HiLift.

I welcome any and all suggestions. If I can get a sticky on this thread being that it will be a year long race to outfit my team and rig for the journey. I will also post all of the camping trips up here we are taking to test our gear and vehicle, learning to cooperate on the journey. If anyone wants to donate money to children's missions I will link to the organization later, or you can donate gear for the trip, anything you think we could use or need would be greatly appreciated. We are all making sacrifices for these trips and these kids, it's going to be a great journey.

Last edited:

Ala5ka

VX'er
I've had the VX for three years now and space is always an issue but the RTT should help. Nobody seems to do much with the VX in this way so I'm hoping others may jump on board later

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
One thing to point out is where you mounted those huge lights blocking airflow to the radiator, it may not be an issue in cooler weather but could cause overheating in warmer temps.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I put those lights low so they don't reflect back into my eyes. I have two radiator fans., and transmission cooler for those hot days :) I just picked up some parts and oil. I need some ideas on how I should carry extra fuel, and water. The RTT is right on the bars so no rack, and no tire gate, not sure how safe it is to carry in the cab. And water, should I go tank or Jerry can?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I put those lights low so they don't reflect back into my eyes. I have two radiator fans., and transmission cooler for those hot days :) I just picked up some parts and oil. I need some ideas on how I should carry extra fuel, and water. The RTT is right on the bars so no rack, and no tire gate, not sure how safe it is to carry in the cab. And water, should I go tank or Jerry can?

My radiator fan pulls over 4000 cfm and would still get warmer than I'd like before I moved my lights, so just keep it in mind.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I will test and retest. Worst comes to worst I pull them off when I head down south, keeping an eye on my temperature for sure ;)

Ala5ka

VX'er
Met with the designer who is sponsoring the vinyl wrap, the theme will be topo maps! Expect to see a huge Expedition Portal logo and Overland Journal logo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles