Anyone heard of the Auburn Gear ECTED Max Locker

I learned about this locker a couple years back from a Toyota forum I belong to. Its a selectable locker that is fully locked when engaged and a limited slip when disengaged. To me this seems like the best of both worlds, but I haven't heard much talk about it or seen any build threads where it was used. Anyone have experience with this locker?

Auburn Gear ECTED Max Locker

Link to User/Installation Manual

Does anyone have any experience with this locker / limited slip combo?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've seen enough of them fail to function as claimed that I wouldn't buy one.

Contrary to their marketing, it is NOT a real locker. There are no engagement pins or splined collars of any type to lock out the rotation of the spider gears.
What it is is a limited slip that becomes tighter when you "engage" it (if you read the description, it explains how little balls in a ball-ramp applies pressure against the limited-slip clutches to "give you a solid axle assembly"). Problem is it can still slip if there's enough torque differential (and it usually does).

I would suggest sticking with what's proven (ARB, or maybe the Yukon Zip lockers are decent also) whether it's for serious trail work or even for just moderate use. I can't think of any one time I wanted a limited slip where either a plain open or a spooled diff couldn't work. Far fewer little parts to fail inside the ARB or ZIP too (I've got about 40,000 miles on mine and so far it's been great).

LR Max

Local Oaf
Pass. As said before, never seen them work, only fail.

ARB if you want a manual locker but as long as you don't have Jeep Wrangler TJ wheelbase, you can put a detroit auto locker in there and NEVER know its in there. Best part, it just works. The thing I hate about the manual lockers is people tend to use them AFTER they get stuck. That doesn't help.

In comparison, the Detroit just works and can push you through most everything. Works great.

Giviner

I had one up front in my TJ several years ago when it still had stock axles and 32" rubber. It worked just fine, did what it needed to do, but it was a complete ***** to un-lock afterwards. Picture yourself backing up, weaving, etc trying to un-lock this thing after a day of wheeling.

I wouldn't buy one again, much better options out there. I've got a detroit and an ARB in my jeep now and they are both awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94