Recovery - Helping others - when and when not?

Derek G

Observer
When I come up on a stranded rig I willingly wait patiently until they ask for assistance. That way it was their idea. I also let them connect the tow strap. I'll inspect the connection but its all on them. They got stuck, they asked for help, they connected to my rig they told me to pull. That way it's all on them in a nice and pleasant way. What every you do do not ask for payment. The law says you need a license and insurance for that.

All good points. I ALWAYS make the other person hook to their vehicle.

Rvl

My last truck had front and rear winches and I rescued everyone
I straggled into every camp last.....exhausted

The thing that pissed me off was that alot of guys dont carry proper rescue equipment
I wore thru 2 winches and tons of other gears

hilgeg

I kind of enjoy the challenge of recovery – so I may have put myself in some riskier situations. There are some simple rules that I apply though:
1. If winching or pulling is needed – the other driver must hook their car/truck up.
2. You can use my tools for recovery, but please don’t abuse them in the process.
3. Let’s talk the plan with all pitfalls through before attempting.
4. Use common sense and good manners. Prove that good people can help each-other.

Two months ago at the Oregon coast a guys Ford f-250 had quit down on the beach. It was getting dark and he wanted off the beach before the tide went up. I offered my help and let him know my rules. He hooked up his end of the recovery strap and we started up the 40 percent grade cement access ramp. Half way up (I’m in 4-low, locked, and supercharged) a pop stops us dead in the tracks. He attached to a tie-rod. After getting his permission I attached to his frame and drug the now cock-eyes vehicle the rest of the way. Yes it broke. But he was still thankful not to lose it to the tide.

mowerman

Adventurer
Recovery doesnt have to involve vehicles stranded by location or climate - most the the recoveries I do are where a vehicle simply breaks down.
then I have a few rules...
Is the vehicle in a dangerous position? If yes I will offer to tow, very often a police car will be sat behind the vehicle and they are only too happy to let me tow the vehicle to a place of sfaety.
Is it a lady on her own? Yes, stop every time. Very often they may have already phoned recovery company/husband/dad/boyfreind/significant other and may not want help.
Is it a lady with kids? As above.
Is it a man on his own? I have a look at the location, time of day, danger to other road users of his vehicle. I am cautious here because it is not unknown the the UK to stop for a lone male 'broken down' only to have half a dozen others jump out, duff you up and clear off with your motor.
2 or more men on their own? Tough - they can push it.

mowerman

Adventurer
What percentage of those break-downs are British made vehicles?

ha ha! Well, there are not many vehicles built in the UK any more, but those that are are 'japanese' or LR, but it would not be fair to say most are built in the Uk that break down.
Any muppet can run out of fuel whatever they are in :)

ha ha! Well, there are not many vehicles built in the UK any more, but those that are are 'japanese' or LR, but it would not be fair to say most are built in the Uk that break down.
Any muppet can run out of fuel whatever they are in :)

Just poking fun. And yeah, the smart folks who run out of gas on the road probably shouldn't be driving.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Just poking fun. And yeah, the smart folks who run out of gas on the road probably shouldn't be driving.

See it all the time but I don't know how someone can actually let this happen. Hell when the light goes on you still have plenty of time to get to a gas station. And if you live in remote areas you should definitely know better. Either way my neighbor who's a state trooper carries a few gallons of gas in the trunk of his cruiser for these exact situations.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Yes, like my Jeep. It sorta works, sometimes. Mostly not. However I never go anywhere without a Jeep can or two for backup.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Sometimes vehicles run out of fuel because the gauge malfunctions.

I feel like that's something you should know ahead of time, yes they can fail on you while you're driving but at the same time it's something you should be able to notice. For example, if I've gone 200 miles and my gauge reads full, something is clearly wrong.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
One thing I will do is go out of my way to recover a vehicle or help someone who is hurt. I could give a crap about liability. But that is just me. One of the lessons I learned being in dire straights in freezing weather in Iceland with a broken axle is that some of the human race (I would like to think a majority), are good natured people who want to help and don't expect anything in return. But then again, I haven't been sued for helping someone either. :)

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles