And now, for something completely different...

Mobryan

Adventurer
Poking around some old bookmarks tonight, found this guy:

View attachment 12995

1966 IH Travelall Ambulance, V-8, 5 speed, 4x4, 35" tires, 20" extension, fiberglass roof, winch, some other gizmo's. Reminds me of the Travelall's built in the 60's for the Bishop/National Geo. expeditions.

Last I heard, the owner was vacillating between using it for another Panama/Guatamal trip, or selling the whole thing to help finance a RTW boating trip. I wish I had his problems :bowdown:

I'd love to put a Sportsmobile/Earthroamer type interior in, add a rack above the front doors for dirty/cruddy gear, rework the drivetrain a bit, and show just how far "no-tech" can go now. :D

Matt

Last edited:

Ironduff

Observer
JUst guessing, and assuming an original Cornbinder drivetrain, the V-8 is a 345, and the 5-spd has a real low 'granny' first that pushes low range into the sub-basement.

I had an '71 Scout w. a 304 & the wide-ratio four-speed, and I could load rocks on the tailgate (collecting to build a dry-stack wall) while it idled unattended uphill across a field in low-low.

Yep, that'd be a real cool 'no-tech' unit.

Jim H.

Mobryan

Adventurer
Duff- 304 and the T-34 OD 5 speed, with the "fast" 6.32 low gear. A friend has a 57 B120 with the T-35 5 speed, 7.17 low, and 4.88 gears, it's a great fencing pickup, you can build the fence almost as fast as it idles along :D

U-Joint- My thoughts exactly, snag a SAE 3 flywheel cover and tranny adapter, a slightly warmed 4BT would give better milage, adaquate acceleration, and be lighter then the IH 304 anyhow :D

Matt

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Neighbor on the other side of the hood has a Panel in that body style. Well I think its a panel, It has no windows. See if I can get a picture of it this week.

Never met the guy but might have too. I think he uses it to haul wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles