doublers, planetary crawlers, underdrives,,,, whatever you call it?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i just purchased a 1985 Chevy G20 with a pathfinder conversion. i haven't even got it home yet,put in the shop to make sure somethings were not gonna be an issue. anyway it's got thinking of different things i'd like to do to it. i am wondering what you all thought about installing an under drive and what cheapest way of doing might be.

i don't know exactly with tranny is in it or t-case right now so i cant give specifics. just interested in general feed back on the issue. thanks you all.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Is it automatic or manual?

If you've got an automatic, just install a REALLY nice trans cooler and you are good to go. You can get very slow with an auto trans which is nice. If manual, lets hear more about it. If you've got a SM 465 4 speed or a NV4500 5 speed in it, then you are probably in good shape.

Also what engine? If its an 85, realistically it doesn't have the same huge ridiculous power that newer engines have. If so, I'd look into a NP 231 based doubler. Cheap, plentiful, and quiet. Should be strong enough as long as you don't have a torque monster of an engine. I've been hearing people talk about weird clunks coming from their 203/205 doubler packages when the front hubs are locked. Then again, depends on what annoys you.

Of course Atlas brings so much win. I'd say drop the cash and get a 4:1 2 speed and be done with it. If you need higher gears in low range, then select a higher one with the trans (if you've got an automatic, you can upgrade the transmission with a manual valve body, probably put a shift kit in it anyway just because it'll make it feel SSSOOOOOO much better). I mean, 3 or 4 speed Atlases are cool, but I never see them. Also the Atlas 4 speed is just an atlas 2 speed with a Klune-V bolted on the front of it. Also look at Klune-Vs to see if that is what you want.

I pretty much haven't heard anything good about the monster transfer cases. Which is sad because I always liked them. Oh and the 3 speed monster...yeah, its a MONSTER.

Also if it has a 205, there are kits out there that change the low range to 3:1. This would be a great compromise between "keeping things stock" and having a better low range. Also you'd have a fresh transfer case when you are done.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
the motor is a jasper 305 with rebuilt auto transmission i dont know what type of t-case or transmission its got. something like the klune-v was what i thought was best solution

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Thanks I'll have to check that out. I appreciate the input I have received.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior