Is the Yaesu FT-8800R old?

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I have been looking at getting a mobile radio for my Jeep and it seems that everyone likes the Yaesu FT-8800R. However, I see that Yaesu has the FTM-350AR, which "looks" more appealing to me. Then I see the FTM-10R which looks more modern also. So now I'm wondering if this is the new trend, and all their radio line will be upgraded soon with these better looking user interfaces.

Anyone have any information on plans to revise the 8800R? I'd hate to purchase it now and then see the new modern version of it come out in a few months. So far, I can hold off with my mobile and be okay for trail runs and vehicle-to-vehicle comms if need be.

What do you guys think?

4RunAmok

Explorer
I hope not!! I still use mine!!

It's got more features than I've ever used.

The PROBLEM with the FTM-10R is power. It's not 50 Watts.

I think the 8800 has been replaced by the 350AR and the new 400DT. I've been thinking about getting a 350AR, but can't justify it since there's nothing wrong with my 8800.

Expedition Leader
What do you guys think?

It depends on what you want to do with your radio.

The 8800 is their basic dual-band workhorse. You can monitor any two frequencies at once and it will do cross-band repeat. It will always be a useful radio even if they come out with a new one. Yaesu tends to make incremental changes and upgrades to their radio line, so its replacement is unlikely to be light years ahead or different. The 8900 is more-or-less an upgraded 8800 already.

The 350 is their answer to the popular Kenwood TM-D710A. It comes with a TNC built-in so it is ready-to-go for APRS. Although it is otherwise a full-function dual-band dual-receive radio that will do anything the 8800 will and more, its primary market is the APRS user. It's expensive enough that not many would buy it if they're not going to use it for APRS.

The 10R is a compact radio with a waterproof control head. I think it is really made for the ATV crowd, but if your expo vehicle is open to the elements you might like this radio. It has a bunch of other "features" I find strange and would never use myself, like commercial AM/FM radio reception, a PA, Bluetooth, and a built-in mic (no hand-held mic supplied). My own opinion is that it is a radio in search of a market, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'll have to look at the 10-R. The Jeep is running out of room to mount stuff. Using my handheld in it now and being waterproof, well the Jeep leaks like a sieve. No mic though? Thats weird.

lbrito

Broverland Expert
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I hope not!! I still use mine!!
I think the 8800 has been replaced by the 350AR and the new 400DT. I've been thinking about getting a 350AR, but can't justify it since there's nothing wrong with my 8800.

Had to look up this 400DT, but this is exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote this post. Looking at it on HRO, the user interface looks pretty nice. I know this will probably be at a price point higher than the 8800 but, it does sort of highlight further that Yaesu is going to be moving its mobile line into more robust screens that lend themselves to better user interfaces.

I see the manual for the 8800 has (C) 2009, so that would put it into its 4th year on the market, hence I wondered if Yaesu runs some kind of 5 year upgrade cycle. They are also doing this rebate thing, which makes me wonder if they're trying to clear out stock for something new coming down the pipe.

The 8800 fits my needs in that I'm looking for dual band (2m/440 Independent Operation), and cross-band repeat with a remote head mount. Just the basics.

But, as mentioned, some of the new radios are coming out with a few new features and much nicer screens. I suppose this is what you mean by incremental upgrades, and I shouldn't expect to see a FT-9800R But, it is starting to seem like maybe it is time for a new model sans APRS with upgraded display. If anything, these newer radios may drive the price down on the 8800's. Perhaps I should wait till summer and see where the 400DR goes and if anything else is announced.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I think the 8800R goes back to at least 2005, maybe even 2004 (I've had one since mid-late-'07 I think I bought it)

Like said the 8800 is a great workhorse radio with a receiver unsurpassed by anything I've seen other than my old Icom IC-R7000 commercial-grade receiver (and just barely at that). If you don't need built-in APRS stuff, I don't see how you would go wrong if it's simple voice communication you're after.

Radios like the 8800 endure because people continue buying them because they work well.
My experience has generally been when a company has an excellent product like this one and they replace it with something else, the replacement never works as good. Just something to think about.

dockbox

I think the major point is that HAM radio equipment does not become obsolete in the same way other electronics do. They have a much longer service life, even if they are two or three generations old.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The FTM-400DR is in a different class than the FT-8800 and FTM-350. It's a digital-capable radio, do not expect it to be cheap and probably at least as much or more than the 350. I sort of doubt the FT-8800 is going to leave their product line. I just don't see the FTM-350 as a suitable replacement, if for no other reason as it's not simple to join the face to the body for stationary use. I think the FT-7900 and FT-8800 probably are the basis for a ton of go boxes, emcomm stations, etc.

The only reason the 8800 might go obsolete is a whole scale move to digital or the community wants to go narrow band. The FCC isn't going to force us to narrow band like in the commercial world and we'd have to agree on a digital mode before we can even think of throwing in the towel on analog FM. It would not surprise me at all if Yaesu is still selling the FT-8800 in 10 years.

There's not much to improve with it that the 350 doesn't do (mostly background TX on the non-selected secondary side is the only fault IMHO). Probably parts obsolescence is about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94