two parents, three younglings and a pug going south

bikeymikey

6999147f-182f-4f5b-930b-3a923ef4c8e1_zpsda671a6c.jpg

this is the vehicle ( info in sig) we're most likely going to use to go on our 3-4 year trip down the pan american highway. since it's going to be 5 of us (three small chitlins, my wife and me) we're most likely going to be pulling a small trailer too (think private time for mom and dad).
things that i have done:
-driveshaft u-joints
-steering column and shaft replace
-replaced all the power steering bits (pump, box, lines)
-3g alternator upgrade
-parking brake cables and rear brake shoes, cylinders (the shoes were fine, but when i removed one of the drums the wheel cylinder spewed fluid all over them)
-40-20-40 bench
-tires

i removed the old kelsey hayes brake controller since this truck's got rabs. in the process i had to replace the line that goes from the mc to the rabs valve. i'll also replace all the rubber hoses. the front pads don't show much wear and they're even.

i think the front axle is leaking, since the pass steering knuckle is always kinda damp.

i'm going to install a new battery ground cable and probably replace the starter. i've had some no-start issues which i want to eliminate. well i have eliminated them, by cleaning the connections at the battery and at the block, but i don't know how bad the ground cable is under the insulation. so might as well replace it.

i will replace all the steering linkages and the king pins too.

i would check for codes, but it seems like i'm missing one of the connectors for the scan tool ( the smaller connector).

here's the point to my post:

while the engine (460) runs real smoothly, and the transmission (zf-5) shifts well, i'm wondering if it would be wise to do preventative rebuilds on those two items. i do get some rattling noise coming from under the truck when i let off the gas while in gear. the only reason i hear it is because i removed the shift boot. noise goes away completely with shift boot on. on the engine side, at the very least i would want to clean out the oil pan and make sure i don't have a clogged pump in my near future. knowing that the engine has to come out for that procedure anyway, why not get a full rebuild?

the camper is a 1988 four wheel camper grandby model, it needs a front lift panel and the sleeping base in the cabover section is sagging. i'll probably drop it off at ATC or FWC to get that done, plus new canvas with the arctic pack option.
so there it is. i am looking forward to your comments, but really just wanted an excuse to post a pic of the truck

bfdiesel

Explorer
looks sweet. If you are going to do a 460 rebuild have the heads ported and a bigger exhaust valve put in, I would also do an RV cut cam.

bikeymikey

Always nice to see another brick nose ad FWC around here :). Keep us posted with updates.

i don't like to admit this, but i'm really into the aesthetics of the bricknose. i used to have a 9th gen f150 and thought that was my favorite body style.

looks sweet. If you are going to do a 460 rebuild have the heads ported and a bigger exhaust valve put in, I would also do an RV cut cam.

forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what will those mods accomplish?

bikeymikey

i also want to mount the camper on a flatbed and build boxes on the outside for storage and camp kitchen. thoughts?

mkitchen

Explorer
Have you spent time in it yet?

Before making a lot of changes, excluding vehicle upgrades, spend time with and in the truck/camper and see what jumps out at you as really needed. We are all different and come to our own conclusions as to what is truly needed. I for one like to make sure that I have the power needed to run two Cpap breathing machines and I like to be able to stay somewhere for a while without a generator so solar comes in handy. Even those conclusions took some time though.
With the three kids, make sure you have some things that can help to keep them busy and interested in the trip. I also found over the years that less daily mileage helps to keep mom and kids happier. Sounds like a great objective though, so go for it!
Mikey

bfdiesel

Explorer
With stock 460's the exhaust is limiting to making more power, porting opens up the intake and exhaust flow. Rebuilding you have to rebuild the heads anyway. A RV cut cam is good for low end torque. I had a '87' with this work done would get as good as 14 mpg empty it was also bored over a bit, and would pull with the gen one cummins up the mountains here in Colorado. Still have days where I regret selling that truck.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Nice truck, and envious trip plan!
The flatbed is a great idea, though as said above, everyone is different. The FB allows much more flexibility, and as you said concerning locked storage boxes- priceless. Especially given said trip route...
All the best, and I also second using it as much as possible prior to sort out bugs, and develop what works best for the five of you.
Cheers

bikeymikey

Before making a lot of changes, excluding vehicle upgrades, spend time with and in the truck/camper and see what jumps out at you as really needed. We are all different and come to our own conclusions as to what is truly needed. I for one like to make sure that I have the power needed to run two Cpap breathing machines and I like to be able to stay somewhere for a while without a generator so solar comes in handy. Even those conclusions took some time though.
With the three kids, make sure you have some things that can help to keep them busy and interested in the trip. I also found over the years that less daily mileage helps to keep mom and kids happier. Sounds like a great objective though, so go for it!
Mikey
we have spent a few weekends in the camper up in the mountains. which is how we determined we need that arctic pack. and probably some more insulation underfoot. but those trips were done before #3 was born. so we need to do some more camping.
you're right on with the daily mileage. never more than 100 miles a day.
Nice truck, and envious trip plan!
The flatbed is a great idea, though as said above, everyone is different. The FB allows much more flexibility, and as you said concerning locked storage boxes- priceless. Especially given said trip route...
All the best, and I also second using it as much as possible prior to sort out bugs, and develop what works best for the five of you.
Cheers
yeah, it just seems like the right thing to do. as it is, i set up kitchen right on the side of the truck anyway, so why not have a box on the side and use that to store kitchen stuff on one side and general dirty stuff on the other? my concern is regarding the frame of the camper. it might be unfounded, but would the flatbed transmit more of the frame twist to the camper? or not? i'm probably not going to do any rock crawling, but what's your guys' take on that?

With stock 460's the exhaust is limiting to making more power, porting opens up the intake and exhaust flow. Rebuilding you have to rebuild the heads anyway. A RV cut cam is good for low end torque. I had a '87' with this work done would get as good as 14 mpg empty it was also bored over a bit, and would pull with the gen one cummins up the mountains here in Colorado. Still have days where I regret selling that truck.

ah. so with more exhaust at the heads, would i have to upgrade the exhaust manifolds, and the rest of the system too?

Erik N

Adventurer
I had a 1990 just like that.

Loved the room, and it tracked like a train on the freeway. Towed a heavy work trailer great too, and it never overheated even in 100+ degrees.

It stranded me 3 times:
1st was steering column plastic shift part broke.
2nd was the cat. truck went from running fine to unstartable in 1/4 mile
3rd was the tranny. Just gave up the ghost one day.
And I could never get the parking brake to work worth a damn. Just wouldn't hold the thing from rolling.

Have fun on your trip! Bring a set of Torx bits.

arktrekker

Adventurer
I am actually in the process of gathering parts and ideas for a build up on my '93 crewcab F350 as well. Glad to see i'm not the only one running one of these older rigs. I find my cab to be roomier than my friends 2012 crewcab and I just like the body style better, not to mention grabbing her with 90k at a military auction.

bikeymikey

we're on the road! finally

I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but just wanted to update you kind folks on our whereabouts... We're in Baja, just arrived in our favorite city of La Paz yesterday. We just spent a week free camping at Playa Tecolote and we're here to take showers, get supplies and hop on the hostel's wifi.
Myrtle, our trusty truck has seen a bit of a change. Gone are the Grandby and pickup bed. She now has a flatbed with an 8ft Alaskan Cabover. I had storage boxes fitted to the sides.
So far she's been doing well, except for the fan clutch going out in in San Diego. The engine didn't overheat (I'll attribute that to the Water Wetter I put in the rad) but the fuel pump relay did and we were a'sputtering across the border. Once in Ensenada, I walked into a auto parts store, asked for a "embrague de ventilador" to which the clerk said "un fan clutch, para tu 89 f350? si, lo tenemos, 750 pesos" (about 55 bucks) and 10 minutes later I left with an AMERICAN MADE fan clutch. The next day I was on the beach, installing it while the younglings were playing in the sand... Couldn't get better than that.
Anyway, my wife's blogging about the trip, and taking a lot of pictures. Read up on it if you'd like,
http://withalittemoxie.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles