Expedition Trailer - Scratch build

balu4k

Adventurer
YES, Inspired various builds all over this forum and after an year of thinking thru it i finally pulled the trigger to build one for mine. After looking into various models / designs all over the forum i decided not to reinvent the wheel but just follow majority of the design told over this forum and make few modification to fit my need as and when i progress. I am not a hardcore offroader yet but would like to travel / drive / hike to more interior places.

To start with i was looking for axles and was able to find one in craigslist for cheep. Its a new 3500# axle with electric brakes. its a 4" drop axle. i am not a fan of the drop axle so i am going to order a straight axle. yes the amount i paid is very less compared to worth of new brakes, hub and springs.

I am going to order the 3500# ezlube dexter axle with hub to hub 70". This trailer will be pulled by sequoia so having a 70" with 31" x 10.5 x 15" tire would have the track width follow the rig.

I am software engineer and pretty new to this trailer concepts with respect to hands on. i just have theoretically knowledge and I know practical knowledge is much better and hence here to ask questions and suggestion hoping the members would help me.

few questions:

1. the clearance of the sequoia is 9" to the road. its 2013 Limited pretty much stock. i will be lifting the sequoia using the 6" lift kit available in the market. regardless the sequoia axle to road is clearance is not going to increase until i change the tires and it might add couple of inches. Given thats the clearance i will have on the rig, i will be able to attain that clearance on the trailer just by spring under. do you think do i really need to consider the spring over on the trailer ?

2. what is the advisable clearance between tire and the side wall of the trailer. i am thinking 1.5" this with this i will be able to get the box size of 50" width. i am trying to make the box as big as possible :)

so experts advice / guide me.

btw, this is going to be a slow build because i get to chance to work on this only on the weekends just few hours.

here is the pic of the drop axle with 31's on it with which i am starting with.

WP_20130318_001.jpg

WP_20130318_002.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Wonder if slow builds get slow responses. :)

On the clearance between tub and tire. Since all the weight and flex takes place at the lower third of the tire, you should be fine making that gap smaller. An inch is a good safe harbor size.
Ditch the axle you have. Get a replacement axle built the way you want it with hubs to match.
I'd build the truck first to help you position the trailer so its level with the Sequoia when loaded.

balu4k

Adventurer
Wonder if slow builds get slow responses. :)

On the clearance between tub and tire. Since all the weight and flex takes place at the lower third of the tire, you should be fine making that gap smaller. An inch is a good safe harbor size.
Ditch the axle you have. Get a replacement axle built the way you want it with hubs to match.
I'd build the truck first to help you position the trailer so its level with the Sequoia when loaded.

Thanks rockwood. Yes i am going to order a new straight axle and asking them not to weld the spring perches. will decide on the spring position once it arrives and will weld it my self.

natvet

Observer
I went with 2" clearance from trailer tub. Big tires and big rocks and you never know...A little extra clearance wouldnt hurt.

balu4k

Adventurer
M416

See what i got home today .. found this on craigslist today for cheep so changed my mind from scratch build to building up this 416. few pics of what it is as of now. surprising part is the seller has been owning this since 1977 and he has title that has been issued in 1977 ( printed using ribbon printers :) )

Now i have to figure out how to change the title of this post else i need to start a new thread because its no more scratch build :)

WP_20130411_011.jpg

WP_20130411_012.jpg

WP_20130411_013.jpg

WP_20130411_014.jpg

WP_20130411_015.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94