GVWR exceeded by camper

Sam1938

I'm planning on putting an ~3200 lb wet wgt camper on my F250 SuperCab 7.3 Powerstroke. My vehicle wgt is 5890 and the GVWR is 8800. How safe is that?

FishPOET

Adventurer
You need to take it to the scales fully loaded.

Once weighed divide your drive axle weight in half and check it against the ratings for your tires.

You do not want to overload your rear tires.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Worse case?
If you get in an accident, you can be cited or sued as at fault for an unsafe rig, whether you were or not the one causing it, that's if you survive an accident due to driving an overloaded vehicle exceeding component capabilities. Don't forget to add about 1,000#s for 4 people and all your junk for 3 days camping too.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
GVWR is kind of like the safety of speeding, a little over is probably going to be okay. But start to go too far over and you are asking for trouble.

gm4x4lover

Observer
I'm planning on putting an ~3200 lb wet wgt camper on my F250 SuperCab 7.3 Powerstroke. My vehicle wgt is 5890 and the GVWR is 8800. How safe is that?

There is a reason most TC manufactures recomend dual wheels for camper aplications like that. I have a similar camper to that and I use a F350 super duty dually. I also have a single wheel k3500 that i use to manuver the camper into storage on my property and it feels squirly. Also is yours a long bed or a short bed? Wheel base makes a big difference as well.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

I just sold my 7.3 F350 crew that had a GVWR of 9200 because with my camper on (3400 wet) I was 2400 lbs over!!! I had the highest load rated tires I could find, (3950 lbs per), Firestone airbags, all new shocks, bushings etc etc. The truck carried it ok, but you can't change the fact that you will be over legal weight.

I just bought a dually with 11,000 GVWR, and I might still be even a bit over weight. I suggest you get a lighter camper, or bigger truck. As mentioned above, if something goes wrong, YOU could be the one in serious trouble.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Everyone is NOT overweight with truck campers if you shop for a camper weight that matches the truck or vise versa. Unless like me, you start out ignorant what GVWR and camper weight means. My first 2 were, my last one wasn't. Believe me, the driving experience you have driving a TC combo that is not overweight far overwhelms the feelings you have being overweight.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Everyone is overweight with truck campers, as long as your good on your back axel and tires your golden.

I agree that many are, but not all. I was surprised when shopping for our camper that so many camper dealers told us we'd be fine with a 3/4 ton truck when that clearly would put us way over the GVWR.

We've had our rig ('99 F350 SRW with a Bigfoot C25 10.6) on a scale and loaded for a trip we are right at the GVWR.

With SRW trucks you are very likely to find tires are your limiting factor. Careful selection of tires and attention to inflation pressures will be important.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Same experience here. I was NOT overweight with my 8'6" Skamper pop-up on my '05 Dodge 3500 srw. I WAS way over with the F350 srw and my current Adventurer 10T. The new '98 Dodge 3500 drw should have me very close to gvw. I am pissed at myself for listening to the RV salesman who told me the F350 would be "fine". I can't wait to haul the camper on the dually. It should be way more comfortable. The F350 carried it ok, but I was never "comfortable" while driving. I do have a class 1 (A?) license that allows me to drive any tractor trailer combination. I am used to driving heavy, but with an appropriate rig.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Is a simple matter of knowing your rigs PAYLOAD capacity.

Weigh it empty, and know the max GVW

For most Ford 3/4 and 1-tons you will be better suited with a lower geared, smaller cab than otherwise.

For example, a 3.55 geared 4-door F350 4x4 will have much less payload capacity than a 4.10 geared standard cab F350 4x4.

My '97 F250 has a greater payload capacity than most F350s for this reason. Its current payload capacity is 3100 lbs, mainly because it weighs less. It weighs 6800lbs, where many 4-doors weigh nearly 8k. GVW is typically 9900lbs.

Much of the reason I have never been a fan of heavy off-road bumpers, winches, skid plates, etc. You detract from the payload capacity every time you bolt something on.

762X39

Explorer
I am pissed at myself for listening to the RV salesman who told me the F350 would be "fine".
The "salesman" will not be defending you in court or attending your funeral service. I have a decent trailer/truckcamper manufacturer (Taylor Trailers) 20 minutes from me that never steers me wrong but at the end of the day, it is up to me to be legal and safe.Most people have a hard time getting past the whole "really big truck but very modest camper" thing until it goes sideways.:coffee:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The "salesman" will not be defending you in court or attending your funeral service. I have a decent trailer/truckcamper manufacturer (Taylor Trailers) 20 minutes from me that never steers me wrong but at the end of the day, it is up to me to be legal and safe.Most people have a hard time getting past the whole "really big truck but very modest camper" thing until it goes sideways.:coffee:

Really? Do ya think? I guess you didn't read the part where I mention having bought a dually...

Okanagone

This is a huge issue out there. I see it all the time. Huge camper/trailer on a 1500 or 2500 truck, and the tail is wagging the dog. Unless a few RV dealers start getting pulled into lawsuits where an overloaded truck with camper or trailer is involved, the sales people will continue to sell the biggest (spelled $$$$$$) rig they can. Depending on where you are, many jurisdictions in North America can scale anything, including an RV, provided the GVW is over 10,000 pounds, not the registered or actual weight, the rated weight is what determines this. The GVW is determined by the engine, transmission, chassis (frame, springs, axles, brakes), and tires. If you exceed what the manufacture states is the maximum safe weight for that vehicle, you may be completely liable in a collision. Know what you can safely carry before you make any RV purchase, or buy the right hauler for what you want. It could be the difference between life and death.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles