Columbus Carbon mounting

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Robert

The Columbus (and all AutoHome tents are best when installed on crossbars. The rack pictured should work well if you fit a pair of crossbars between the side rails - or on top of the rails. The mounting channels on the Columbus run parallel fore and aft and are 24.5" center to center. They are 57" long, but max spread of the bars is 52" - and about 48" is perfect, allowing some room for fore and aft adjustment.

If you have questions, give us a call at 888-852-2359.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hi Robert,

Mike's advice is correct, that is the approved method, but there are always alternatives. This is a picture of a concept we did about 15 years ago.

Gold+Landrunner.jpg

AutoHome tents have a very strong flat composite base. The mounting rails don't extend the whole length of the tent and are attached by bolts that go through the base. We drilled holes in the base and used similar bolts and plates to go around the bars, and it worked well. You can use crossbars but in this case it adds complexity, weight, expense and raises the tent. We wanted a clean simple look.

Rvl

Mike's advice is correct, that is the approved method, but there are always alternatives. This is a picture of a concept we did about 15 years ago.
View attachment 151278
AutoHome tents have a very strong flat composite base. The mounting rails don't extend the whole length of the tent and are attached by bolts that go through the base. We drilled holes in the base and used similar bolts and plates to go around the bars, and it worked well. You can use crossbars but in this case it adds complexity, weight, expense and raises the tent. We wanted a clean simple look.

Did you put 2 U-bolts on the front tube and 2 down either side and 2 on the back?
Is there a crosspiece in the center of the rack between the 2 side rails?
I want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible

Thanks

Robert

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
What is the size of the tent - small? medium?

What is the outside to outside measurement of the rack?

Rvl

I will probably get the small , but also thinking about the med
I will measure the roof today and guesstimate
I dont have the roof rack it is being shipped now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior