Harbor Freight Badland 12,000 winch

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
The HF and Smitty winches are one in the same, tons of threads on the net about it.

I have a brand new SmittyBilt XRC-8 and it looks considerably different from the HF 9,000lb winch, however when I google for photos of the XRC-8 I find some old XRC-8 photos which do look like the HF winch. I suspect that the older model XRC-8 is the same as the HF winch, but the new design of the SmittyBilt XRC-8 is a totally different winch.

I have 2 an 8k and a 10k... So do I use it everyday... No... Do I climb rocks... No....
Is it slow... Yes... Is it heavy... Yes

Has it got me out of a ditch ... Yes ...

Mine has sat idle for 8 months mounted on my jk... Lucky I didn't need it... Plugged in the switch and she worked ...

If I used it everyday or was in extreme conditions I would think twice but so far as a " whoops I'm stuck in the mud"
They see to pull my 5000+ lb rubi out just fine

Now I hope I don't jinks myself..

I also think they placed 2nd in the write up some place. And I believe 8 out of 10 winches being used in America are built by our communist brothers in china...

cwadej

just a guy
I gave serious consideration to the Harbor Freight. Got the XRC8 instead. It did fine for several pulls. Very much not water proof tough. A few water crossings and it died. Not just the solenoid, the motor. It had about 1/2" silt in it.

I looked at the X20 to replace it, but opted for a waterproof Superwinch made in CT. Guaranteed dust and waterproof to 1m, all components.

in short, if I had needed the wich, it would not have been there for me.

idaxj97

Adventurer
I bought the HF Badlands 9k winch for my xj, I am 100% impressed with this winch my first time using it was on a 80'S chevy on 35's burried to the frame in mud and with 2 snatch blocks we recovered the truck. Was it slow... Yes, but why be in a hurry in a recovery then the second time me and my buddy recovered a toyota highlander from a ditch worked flawlessly and just the other day i pulled my friend from the mud it wasnt burried but all in all this winch WORKS, I am happy with my winch.

Edit: my one and only complaint was when we pulled the cable out to recover the chevy I found 3 kinks towards the end of the line so we put the bad areas back on the drum and kept working from there. I do plan on replacing the cable with Synthtic line here shortly.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I stopped by yesterday at the local 4 wheel shop here in Mukiteo, WA.. I was looking at the Warn 10K and the Smittbuilt 10K winches. The quality between the two is as different as night and day. ALL of the Smittybuilt winches had some serious issues with the engagment of the gear lever. The Warn was butter smooth and this was on the Cheap Warn line. For me a winch is used when you are in trouble. IE Stuck. It would really suck to have to walk out because you saved a $100 to $200 bucks on a "bargain" winch. If you call a tow truck in expect to pay $500 or much more depending on how far you are in. Worst case scenerio is that you die from exposure or dehydration ect ect trying to walk out. Best case scenario your friend comes in after you call him at 2am on your cell phone and yanks you out. Treat recovery gear like you would Emergency Gear. Get the best you can afford. If you need to wait two weeks for that bit of extra cash on your next check to get the Better winch then do so. Of course this is just my opinion. Good Luck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I was looking at the Warn 10K and the Smittbuilt 10K winches. The quality between the two is as different as night and day.
I don't think anyone would realistically compare the standard issue Warns, the U.S.-built ones anyway.

For a utility winch I wouldn't have a problem with the Harbor Freight ones but beyond the question of quality and reliability, the one thing I like about big name, long time winches such as Warn, Milemarker, etc. is you'll be able to repair them for as long as you own the winch. The cheapie winches are throw-away if anything breaks, practically speaking. It's not even for me so much about wearing it out but just the wear from being in the elements all the time. Once in a while you take your winch off, disassemble, re-lube and replace stuff that's corroded. Not even specifically gears or major stuff, but contacts or brushes can be sourced for 30 year old Warn winches.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Treat recovery gear like you would Emergency Gear. Get the best you can afford. If you need to wait two weeks for that bit of extra cash on your next check to get the Better winch then do so. Of course this is just my opinion. Good Luck.

x2. A replacement warranty offers absolute zero resolve to a current stuck in the wild. When your 5000 miles from the nearest Harbor Freight, you don't want to be second guess whether or not your winch will work. For that reason, I choose models with W on them :D Everyone has their preference and there are plenty of suitable models out there, 15 years of trail riding, competition rock crawling, racing, recovering and overlanding with Warn's has built my confidence.

Outback

Explorer
I don't think anyone would realistically compare the standard issue Warns, the U.S.-built ones anyway.

This was a comparison between the Budget Warn VR10,000 winch and the Smittybuilt 10,000 lb rated winch. The cost was a $100 difference between the two.

Outback

Explorer
Engo.jpgsmittybilt_x2o_12_winch.jpgBadlands winch.jpg[The Harbor Frieght, Smitty built and Engo winches are all the same winch. Just rebadged for the respective company. Hell you can order a shipping container full with your name and Logo on it like American Winch Company........

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The Harbor Frieght, Smitty built and Engo winches are all the same winch. Just rebadged for the respective company. Hell you can order a shipping container full with your name and Logo on it like American Winch Company........

While I can't speak to those three being re-badged identical models, it wouldn't shock me to hear one or two of them come from the same place as the other. Your absolutely right about 'XYZ winch' company offerings. Head to SEMA and AAPEX and you can find 30 companies selling the exact same looking Chinese made 4x4 gadget with a different name on them. Buy even a pallet and you can have your name on them. Winches, recovery straps, differential parts, locking hubs, etc. Some poorer remakes and reverse engineered products than others, some rather respective in their quality but one thing always shines through, they often won't be around in years to come, at least with that product. There is a realized value in buying a product you know you can service not just next year but in 10 or 15 years too. In the case of Warn, Ramsey, Milemarker, etc... you can still buy parts for 30 year old models. Hell, in the case of the Warn, I have a service center 15 minutes from my place in SLC that stocks parts for 8274 and older models. Will XYZ winch company be around to sell you a spare solenoid cover or cap down the road?

88Xj

Banned
I think I'm going to start looking for a used warn winch, I'd like to have a 12k because I often wheel with full size rigs and yank them out. But a solid 8k or 10k would suffice I guess if I found the right one.

I was not aware you could get parts for older winches like that and having a name to trust puts one at ease. Yes anything can still break obviously, but as stated the cheap winches are basically throw away or warranty if your lucky. I've seen used warns in used condition for around 200-400. A 12k warn popped up early this year for around 800. I thought of I could get 3 12k harbor frieght winches for that and passed. The smaller warns I didn't grab cause I wanted a 12k. Definitely going to start looking for a used warn even if its 8k just because the rebuilding/parts available. Kinda buy it once and never buy again unless you seriously damage it!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Another way to look at the expenditure debate.....
I bought an XD9000i brand new in 1997 for $750. I've replaced the hand control switch ($5 from the hardware store) and cleaned the contacts on one one of the solenoids (Free less the silicone to reseal the case). So that's $750 over 16 years so far = less than $50 per year.

I just don't know where some of these other, less expensive units will be in 16 years. A friend of mine bought a mile marker and the motor just turned into a big ball of rust inside. Junked it because it cost more to fix it than it was worth to him.

My 8274 was made in the mid 80's........Where will yours be at that age?

Outback

Explorer
Interesting, did you do any research before posting that to support your "observation"?

The winches are the one and the same. The end caps on the worm drives as well as every other component are identical. Would you allow another company build YOUR product identical as yours? I dont think so. The only difference between the "brands" is the color and badging. Two of the companies put a plastic finned thing on one end. Smitty built (i bet after seeing this and other similar reviews) has changed looks but from what I told are identical inside and thus made in the same factory still as the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles