Water filtration

craig333

Expedition Leader
I normally fill from decent water sources so I don't get carried away. I use one of these (https://www.campingworld.com/tastepure-kdfcarbon-water-filter-18478.html) before my tank and one of these (https://www.campingworld.com/shurflo-universal-in-line-water-filter-27873.html#q=water+filter&lang=default&start=10&cgid=maintain-your-rv/fresh-water/water-filtration) on the cold/drinking water. Hot water, dog water is not filtered. Should I ever leave the States I'd probably want more.

I also carry a https://www.rei.com/product/162897/katadyn-steripen-ultralight-uv-water-purifier and a small backpack size filter if I'm really unsure of my water but those aren't big enough to do the camper.

UV is measured in micro-watts per cm squared at 1 meter and the intensity increases exponentially as you move nearer.
Running a fairly small amount of water slowly around the outside of a 6-watt bulb is more than enough UV-C energy to kill most living things besides spores and bad ideas.
The water needs to be as clear as possible, which is why it is last in the line of filters.
While the bulbs are not terribly efficient converting electricity into UV-C, it takes a very small amount of energy to disable very small bacteria or waterborne pathogens, especially if they are only centimeters from the source of energy.
Very good information. But I have read where if using an activated charcoal filter it should be after the UV system. Seems particles of charcoal raise the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). One could add an inline TDS meter ahead of the UV to keep an eye on filtration system.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
In Oz, and in the rest of the world too I expect, 99.9% of town and city water supplies are kept safe via chlorination and filtration.
That is a simple, cheap and effective way to maintain a biologically safe water supply.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Another method of purification is with ozonation. I have never really studied it but have been around many commercial systems in bottle water plants. I would assume it would be a big power consumer. One thing I hated about working near the system was the horrible odor of ozone. BTW Ozone is lethal in large amounts. I can lower the oxygen levels in your body just like CO2 poisoning.

Alloy

In Oz, and in the rest of the world too I expect, 99.9% of town and city water supplies are kept safe via chlorination and filtration.
That is a simple, cheap and effective way to maintain a biologically safe water supply.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Another method of purification is with ozonation. I have never really studied it but have been around many commercial systems in bottle water plants. I would assume it would be a big power consumer. One thing I hated about working near the system was the horrible odor of ozone. BTW Ozone is lethal in large amounts. I can lower the oxygen levels in your body just like CO2 poisoning.

Many gov. will use Ozone for pre-treatment because it is much more effective than chlorine and does not generate trihalomethanes (THMs).

Ozone does not last long so chlorine will be used for post treatment to keep the water and the infrastructure sanitized.

If the Chlorine is too high people complain about the smell so it is kept to a minimum but this can create other problems. Iron bacteria is one of the things that will grow in old cast iron pipes.

Cities will flush the pipes to bring in higher concentrates of chlorine but in killing the bacteria TMH is generated. Regutaions to limit THM haven't been implemented.

Moral of the story....filter the water you drink

Ramdough

Adventurer
I appreciate the input. It is sounding like I might just need two different types of systems. My camper will have tanks that I will use sanitizers with filters and UV.

My house, will probably be just filters and UV. I do have a 4.5” x 20” whole house filter and softener. So I am looking at just an under sink system for drinking.

I have heard that you want a filter after UV to catch all of the byproducts of dead bacteria. But I have seen it both ways. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
This is what I use even though I buy RO ozneated water for the doghouse. It 's so easy to replace in a standard 10" filter housing.

dreadlocks

If your filter could catch the dead bacteria/virus it'd of caught the live bacteria already in one of the prefilters.. the only way your removing those w/filters is a RO membrane next.

Alloy

I appreciate the input. It is sounding like I might just need two different types of systems. My camper will have tanks that I will use sanitizers with filters and UV.

My house, will probably be just filters and UV. I do have a 4.5” x 20” whole house filter and softener. So I am looking at just an under sink system for drinking.

I have heard that you want a filter after UV to catch all of the byproducts of dead bacteria. But I have seen it both ways. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good filter to remove 99% of the junk so the UV is just insurance.

Joe917

Explorer
You need a 5 micron or finer before the UV light. Critters can be shaded by particles over 5 microns. Otherwise where the filter goes does not matter much. Filters before the pump may reduce pressure too much. Chlorine bleach and a 0.5 carbon block filter is very dependable.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
If the Chlorine is too high people complain about the smell
The active carbon filter will remove any chlorine remining in the water just before use.
Fine filters themselves will remove a lot of the bacteria in the water, but it is then concentrated in the filter which is a great place for it to breed, especially if not used for a time and especially if the chlorine level is insufficient.
The silver present in some filters inhibits that bacteria growth as does the chlorine coming through with the water, but after some time of no use it is wise to flush fine filters with 5 - 10L of chlorinated water prior to drinking.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior