Crossing borders is always one of the most challenging parst of an overland trip.
Everyone going through Central America has heard about the infamous El Amatillo border crossing between El Salvador and Honduras.
We frequently hear stories from travelers who have been charged up to $200 by immoral helpers.
Fear no more. Two of our forum members wrote this excellent and detailed guide. By following this guide, you may actually even enjoy your experience!
A Guide to Getting Through Honduras in One Day with your Mind and Money Intact
Written by Logan and Brianna Pribbeno
More information at http://PanAmNotes.com
AMATILLO Border Crossing (El Salvador into Honduras)
Remember: No necisita ayuda. Por favor, dejame in paz, no voy a pagar. Vaya!
$US accepted at all points from El Salvador to Nicaragua (despite what the border money changers say)
- Cancel El Salvador vehicle permit: $0. Drive past the big rigs, the office is a shack on the right side of the road, right after a speed bump. There should be several police officers nearby. Make 5 copies of the cancelled permit next door.
- Drive ~2km to a fork. When you reach the fork, take a left. You will be crossing the old bridge and taking what looks like a wrong turn away from a brand new bride on the right.
- El Salvador Immigration: a blue and white building with a parking lot on the right side. Hand over your passport at the window, $0.
- Leave El Salvador, enter Honduras, drive over the bridge. At the bridge, an official will take a copy of your canceled El Salvador vehicle permit.
- At this point a Honduran official requested our original title, registration, and passport. This seemed unusual so B jumped out to follow him around until he made his way to the Aduana building a few yards away.
- Aduana: on the right, an unmarked, white building with wooden doors. There is a copy shop on the corner and five parking spots out front. Park here and walk across the street to the blue and white immigration building (intersected by a road).
For the rest of the details, please follow this link