Over 65 years ago a British auto manufacturer known as The Rover Company was struggling to survive. Post war demand for the vehicles they produced was virtually non-existent and production was nearly impossible, due to a strict national rationing of materials for industrial and export products. Rover's chief design engineer, Maurice Wilks, knew that to save Rover they would need something new and very different from anything they had built before. He designed a small utility vehicle that was to be produced for just three years until the company was back on its feet. In 1948 they unveiled their new model, the Land Rover, which would not only outlive its three year production limit, but become one of the most iconic automobiles in history. This laid the foundation for future vehicles like this beautifully restored Series II.
According to the seller, the goal of this restoration was to keep the truck true to its heritage while at the same time turning it into a daily-driver with showroom looks. The project started with the frame being refurbished, and painting the body of the vehicle in its original mid-grey and limestone colors. For a factory fresh look, the interior was then redone including all new upholstery. To ensure that this Land Rover ran as well as good as it looked, the engine, axles, and transmission were all fully rebuilt, and new bushings, brakes, and shocks were installed. It's not often that I would say a vehicle is in nearly-new condition, but with a frame-off restoration, this Rover comes close.
Here's what the seller has to say:
We are excited and very pleased to offer this rare opportunity on this perfect example of a series Rover
Here is a near perfect 1958 Land Rover Series II complete frame off nut and bolt restoration.
· No expense spared, but kept true to its original heritage. Remember this truck is over 54 years old and near perfect. Ground up restoration including engine rebuild and painted in the original color scheme of mid-grey and limestone to showroom quality, yet retaining daily driver ability.
· First year of the"Defender" style and rarest of all standard Land Rovers.
· Sometimes called a series 1.5 because it still retains many of the series 1 features including the IOEV 2 litre engine.
· Original chassis, bulkhead and frame are rust free and have never been bent or welded. Truck had all parts removed down to the frame then sand blasted, primed and painted.
· Engine, transmission and axles rebuilt; all numbers are correct and match, all parts were sand blasted and refinished,
· This car is quite possibly one of the finest and the oldest example in the U.S.
· New galvanized front bumper, all new wiring, new upholstered seats, new tires including a spare
· New jump seats in the rear.
This truck was taken down to the frame and built back up. Frame is in perfect condition. There is no rust on this truck. She has been well cared for with loads of money and time spent keeping her in original like new condition. This is a complete nut and bolt rebuild.
· The engine has been completely overhauled - pistons, valves, bearings, timing gears etc... A complete rebuild, ·
· All new bushings, brakes, bearings, shocks etc,
· Frame is excellent, floors are excellent, doors are excellent, bulkhead is excellent, Truck is rust free.
Or go to gb4x4 dot com
Truck has no known issues and is being sold as is.