Here's a seriously rare vehicle - a 1993 Airstream B190 based on a Ford E350 platform, with a 4WD conversion kit from Advanced Adapters. The options on this vehicle are almost endless and it appears to be mechanically well maintained. The seller says that all it needs to hit the trail are a new set of tires and a new owner. For a buy-it-now price of only $24,000, this could be a Sportsmobile on a budget - with a touch of vintage Airstream design.
Here's what the seller has to say about this fantastic Airstream Designed 4WD:
This rig combines Airstream quality design and fabrication on a rugged Ford E350 van chassis, a reliable 7.3 liter diesel engine with turbocharger and 4WD. Use it as a mobile mountain cabin for hunting, fishing, prospecting etc., a beach shack for surfing in Baja, a home-away-from-home at remote construction sites, or take it to the big city and park in a standard size parking space.
It was custom built for a doctor and wife (avid wildlife photographers) and delivered to northern California in May of 1993. The first adventure was a trip to Alaska. The second owners used the rig to haul supplies from nortern CA to Baja and as a base camp while building their retirement beach house. Over the last 8 years we have used it to wander many of the backroads of the Southwest, visting natural wonders and ancient Native American sites.
It sleeps up to four with a 72” x 40” convertible sofa and a 72” x 76” sleeping area over the cab. Park style hook-ups include a 35’ 30amp power cord, city water hook-up, telephone and cable connections. The kitchen is fully equipped with a refrigerator, microwave oven and 4-burner propane stove with oven. The rear bathroom area includes a toilet, medicine cabinet with mirror, and a sit-down shower. The shower can also be used outside for a quick rinse. Ample storage is provided with overhead lockers, drawers in the kitchen area and under the sofa, and a hanging locker in the rear.
- Ford 7.3 liter diesel
- Ford 3-speed automatic with overdrive (rebuilt at approx. 78K mi.)
- 4WD installed by Advanced 4WD Systems of Salt Lake City, UT
- Hypermax Turbocharger (installed at approx. 48Kmiles)
- Reese tow package w/ electric brake control, rated for 10,000 trailer
- Onan 2.5 MicroLite GenSet with 26 hrs use - propane
- Dometic 11,000 BTU roof air conditioner
- Dometic 3-way refrigerator
- Panasonic microwave oven
- Wedgewood 4-burner stove with oven
- Jensen hood over cooking area
- Atwood 6-gallon water heater
- 12,000 BTU propane furnace
- “Fantastic” roof vent/fan
- Shurflo water pump (pressurized water system)
- 4 heavy duty deep discharge batteries – installed July 2009
- 30 amp Magnetek converter w/ 12-volt charger
- Solar battery charging system
- And more
Mechanically the unit is in very good operating condition and - at 83K miles - the diesel engine is just about broken-in. It should be good for another 300K+ miles. The Goodyear Wrangler HT LT2445/75R16 tires have approximately 75% of original tread, but are 8-years old and age cracked. Strongly recommend installing new tires before making any extended trips. If desired, I will arrange for installation of new tires of your choice - and at your expense - before you arrive for pick-up.
Cosmetic Issues (see photos):
- Functionally the unit is in very good condition, but with the following blemishes it won’t win any beauty contests;
- Front window of overhead sleeping compartment has a vertical hairline crack from top to bottom. Has been this way for over eight years and does not leak.
- Back end of right-side running board trim is broken off.
- Slight body damage behind right rear wheel opening.
- Slight body damage at outside edge of right rear door and ladder to topside. Looks like someone closed the door on an awning pole.
- One center hub cover is missing.
- Both FlexSteel captain’s chairs need reupholstering or new seat covers.
- The larger mattress section for the overhead bed needs re-covering.
- The curtains are a mix of the originals, some of which are deteriorating and/or stained, and some crudely made replacements.
- The carpeting is worn and has a stubborn stain in front of the stove area.
The rig hasn’t been used in over two years - time to let someone else begin their adventures. It is located in Southern California and is offered “AS IS, WHERE IS.” We’ll be happy to help you arrange for pick-up/delivery.