Tire Carrier Hinges - again

Which tire carrier hinge would you choose?

• AJ's Offroad Armor - double shear design

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Iron Pig's Beefy bronze bushing design

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Comp 4x4 Sleeve design

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • 4x4Labs 1.75 spindle design

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Other (EMS, Rockstomper, etc)

Votes: 24 26.7%

• Total voters

Box Rocket

Here's a couple better pics of mine (not that cell phone pics aren't super ;) )

dual shear boxed hinge
_MG_5897.jpg

2K lbs latch with safety latch. Diagonal pull into the rear face of the bumper.
_MG_5900.jpg

the swing arm also rests lightly on the top of the receiver tube. This helps support any downward force from added weight etc when closed.
_MG_5901.jpg

_MG_5902.jpg

88Xj

Banned
Sorry to bump this but I've got a few noob questions.

Whats the difference between this setup. I know this setup uses brass bushings which seem to be cheap to replace if the need so occured!
Here's a couple better pics of mine (not that cell phone pics aren't super ;) )

dual shear boxed hinge
_MG_5897.jpg

And this setup, (no idea what this setup uses)
Here's how I do my bumpers:
DSC03176.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

Both look stout and are double sheer, neither uses a trailer axle/spindle which I don't want to use! I'll be starting a tire carrier build soon and need to figure out the basics of which I should go with! It will be holding a 90lbs spare, 2 jerry cans (another 100lbs) & a high lift. Thats around 250lbs give or take.
I've been kicking around the idea of doing a double swing even...so I'm looking at some simple setups, that are strong and will stand the test of time, and that are easy to work on! Also they much be cost effective of course if I were to do 2 swings.

So whats the difference between the 2 posted above? And what is the 2nd on using for bushings/pivoting?

88Xj

Banned
looks like they all use bronze bushings to me.

Wow your right..I got ahead of myself I think looking at only the top pick. In that pic you can't see the bronze bushing at all lol. My stock jeep tire carrier uses bronze bushings and it still works today being 24yrs old..so they must be decent right?

seanz0rz

Adventurer
they have their limitations, but for this application they are pretty good.

I have heard of a few stories of them cracking. This is likely due to some bad tolerances between the outer tube and bushing and/or bushing and the bolt inside. even if they break, they are easily replaceable.

i went with Delrin for mine, but i have a substantially different setup.

88Xj

Banned
they have their limitations, but for this application they are pretty good.

I have heard of a few stories of them cracking. This is likely due to some bad tolerances between the outer tube and bushing and/or bushing and the bolt inside. even if they break, they are easily replaceable.

i went with Delrin for mine, but i have a substantially different setup.

Pics? And would derlin be better? I'm in the socal heat 90% of the time, so not much moisture..

ScoutII

Adventurer
There are hinges that use a bronze washer top and bottom and some that use a bronze sleeve and some that use both a sleeve and washer.
You could use all steel on steel, as the number of cycles is low. You only open your tail gate so many times in a year.

I did not want an easy swing open tire carrier, as to often I'm parked on a slope. I used the bronze sleeve/washer and just tighten the bolt enough to create some resistance. This way the carrier stays open even if gravity would want it to swing closed.

Something to think about too, is all that extra weight affects your suspension. I added a heavy duty sway bar in the rear and 1 more leaf to the spring pack. It's been a couple years now, and at times I pull a trailer. With that extra weight the bump stops can hit when off road. So now I might add some heavy duty bump stops like Timbrens

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper

Something to think about too, is all that extra weight affects your suspension. I added a heavy duty sway bar in the rear and 1 more leaf to the spring pack. It's been a couple years now, and at times I pull a trailer. With that extra weight the bump stops can hit when off road. So now I might add some heavy duty bump stops like Timbrens

Yes it does! And most of us add more than just a spare, like fuel/water cans, Hi-Lift, shovel (and dare I say it....) even an axe, all hanging way behind the center of the axle.

I added an Add-A-Leaf to my CJ, so it sat level again. Between the swing out w/gear, and the tools and spare parts in the tub, it was sagging.

Rides a bit stiff when empty, but really nice when loaded up. Well, really nice for a 30+ year old leaf sprung SWB Jeep!

:coffeedrink:

Jakeleverett

Adventurer
Hey Casper, I'm pretty interested in that hinge type that you've used. Do you have more pictures and/or info that you could share? Possibly a thread dedicated to it?

All great set ups and info guys!! I'm getting some great ideas!!

Thank you!

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
My bumper is based on Brian's design. ;) (I've seen it in person!) However, instead of a sheared bolt hinge, I used a spindle from Comp 4x4.

Bumper1.JPG

The non-hinge end of my swingout is completely immobile when secured. I have a Delrin pad on the bumper for the arm to rest on, and a compressible rubber pad on the forward stop. The clamp pulls the arm diagonally down and forward, locking it into the two stops.

Bumper3.JPG

Side View

Bumper2.JPG

Top View

Bumper4.JPG

The swingout arm can move up and down - in fact, I have to lift the arm to get it on the bumper (not very much.) I assume the flex comes from the spindle flexing.

burbaned'

Another person used the Dana 44 hinge.

One other advantage to this setup is should you break a hub, you have a spare in your bumper.
I'm doing basically the same thing. I should have pictures by sunday night...I had the rotor faced turned off, and am going to add a interference fit tube over the hub....The carrier pictured is welded directly to the cast hub.

BOOM!!!! this here is the way I'm going....love the spare hub idea, and that with this design, can lock it open with the hub.....and plenty of strength......

JPutnam

Observer
I am wondering what you guys suggest to use when making a swing out tire carrier to hold a 46" tire. I assume it weighs about 4k lbs. I know its kinda ridiculous. but I would feel alot more comfortable with a spare on my van. I am ordering the tires soon. I like the one towards the top of this page with the 2 hinges. kinda thinking something like that design. maybe with 1 inch bolts? or is there a better spindle out there that will be better? any input?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94