What is the greatest overland vehicle ever sold new in the US?

Scott Brady

Founder
Though not an import, my vote goes to the 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversary.

Yeah, what I really meant was "SOLD NEW IN THE US". I got it right in the title, but not in the body copy.

Good choice with the Rubicon

Clutch

<---Pass
Question: Why are most "overland" vehicles wagon types, instead of pickups?

I have and currently own both, and I always prefer a pickup with a topper over a SUV, you can haul more gear
plus keep that dirty gear separate from the passenger compartment. THe other thing I don't understand why some guys
remove their toppers and build a rack for a RTT, which leaves all the gear open to the elements and prying hands.

So my vote would be any pickup with a topper...want to narrow that down more, a Toyota...even further a 1st gen Tacoma, the 2nd gen close behind, then followed
by the 1st gen Tundra.

534482_10150739515944630_823118242_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I forgot to mention a Syncro Westfalia. That may very well be the greatest.

While own a Westy....not reliable enough to break the top 10. Don't let cuteness make decisions for you. ;)

Before a VW purchase is made, one should lay their thumbs on the work bench, have their best friend take a 4# sledge
and smash 'em, now if that person is quite alright with the pain...they should proceed and purchase a VW Syncro.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Question: Why are most "overland" vehicles wagon types, instead of pickups?

The Tacoma is super legit as an exploration platform. Mine never ceased to impress me, from the Arctic to the Darien Gap to crossing the Rubicon. It did it all without failure - not even a scratch.

There are arguments for both a truck and a wagon. The primary argument for the truck is total storage volume (and often payload), while the argument for the wagon is that all equipment is stored within the relative dust control and HVAC of the interior.

Rubicon Trail:
Top_10%20(3).jpg

Arctic Ocean:
bustin_drifts.jpg

Darien Gap:
2009_Central_America293.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
There are arguments for both a truck and a wagon. The primary argument for the truck is total storage volume (and often payload), while the argument for the wagon is that all equipment is stored within the relative dust control and HVAC of the interior.

Why I mentioned a truck with a topper vs a wagon. Different strokes for different folks. ;) I like them both, but the pickup (with a topper) just a tad more.
I often have a chainsaw/can of gas with me...no worries when it leaks in the pickup bed vs our SUV...and they always tend to leak don't they? ;)

I like this setup:

Truck 3.jpg

The Tacoma is super legit as an exploration platform. Mine never ceased to impress me, from the Arctic to the Darien Gap to crossing the Rubicon. It did it all without failure - not even a scratch.

So awesome.

Mine is nearing the 300,000 mile mark, with very little complaints getting there.

It has been such a great little truck.

Last edited:

SRN

Adventurer
While own a Westy....not reliable enough to break the top 10. Don't let cuteness make decisions for you. ;)

Before a VW purchase is made, one should lay their thumbs on the work bench, have their best friend take a 4# sledge
and smash 'em, now if that person is quite alright with the pain...they should proceed and purchase a VW Syncro.

While I have never owned a Westy, I know many who have. They are 'unique' in terms of reliability, but parts are everywhere (yes, not so much for the Synchro components) and they are quite capable for light off-road duty. They have all the comforts of home built right in and plenty of space for storage. Would it be my first choice? No, not by a long shot. But look at the number of people who have driven these around the world and I think you can say that they have proven themselves as capable overlanders.

Clutch

<---Pass
While I have never owned a Westy, I know many who have. They are 'unique' in terms of reliability, but parts are everywhere (yes, not so much for the Synchro components) and they are quite capable for light off-road duty. They have all the comforts of home built right in and plenty of space for storage. Would it be my first choice? No, not by a long shot. But look at the number of people who have driven these around the world and I think you can say that they have proven themselves as capable overlanders.

Sure I agree with you, I love "idea" of VW Westy Syncros, but it wouldn't make the top 10...top 20 "maybe". The older ones, sure you can drop the motor in a matter of minutes...but who really wants to do that along the roadside or in far off village when it is 110º or -20º out? Or even 72º! lol

On my list of "greatest" reliability is the first to be checked off. VW is way down on that aspect...have you read the article where the couple had to smuggle VW parts
into another country? ahh yeah no thanks. I am quite creative in keeping myself busy while on the road, but doing major automotive repairs while traveling in a vehicle with known reliability issues, not my cup of tea. Now if we got the Toyota HiAce...totally different story, but we don't...

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
But look at the number of people who have driven these around the world and I think you can say that they have proven themselves as capable overlanders.
Scott Brady is a serial list maker. It is only a matter of time before the "Ultimate 2WD Overlander" list is posted for discussion. The Westy should be prominent on that list. That discussion is also a legitimate place for Christian to submit his MB 240D.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There are arguments for both a truck and a wagon. The primary argument for the truck is total storage volume (and often payload) . . .

Well, that and they're extremely versatile. Want a topper? Sure - bolt it on. Want a slide-in camper? Sure - bolt it on. Want an open bed with a roof top tent mounted at cab-height? Sure - bolt it on. A flat bed? A custom camper-box? What ever - you can do it far easier with a truck than you can with the SUV's.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, that and they're extremely versatile. Want a topper? Sure - bolt it on. Want a slide-in camper? Sure - bolt it on. Want an open bed with a roof top tent mounted at cab-height? Sure - bolt it on. A flat bed? A custom camper-box? What ever - you can do it far easier with a truck than you can with the SUV's.

Good points.

I wonder why we rarely see a pickup in the #1 spot....well, it is on my list. ;)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Well, that and they're extremely versatile.

Agreed. It is interesting how frequent a wagon is chosen over a pick-up. With the new 4-door pickups, they are so dang convenient. I think for me, I like having everything inside the same space and I still like to sleep in a ground tent or inside the vehicle. But every couple months I drift off to imagining a Tacoma with 4WC. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles