Land Cruiser converts, please weigh in on your post-conversion thoughts

zimm

Expedition Leader
im not certain why there are comparisons to an 80 series being made, when the OP was asking about a 100 or a 463.

to get 35's on a 100 (lx in my case) spring packers and a front relocation kit, and some indexing are all that is needed, not 4000.00. thats just a blatant attempt at skewing the discussion. the front relocation kit can be had for 250.00 and is a two bananna install. while thats one part more than just packers on a G, you get the advantage of having the correct castor. for another 100.00 bucks, i recommend a set of airbags. they will give you another level of control with load, offroad, without killing the everyday plush of the LX hydro system should you decide to keep it. and guess what... you dont have to drive around corners two foot rally car style to keep the ECU from trying to take control of the car to prevent a fictitious accident. id sooner do double clutching. that issue alone will keep me out of an MBUSA model.

if you want a good deal on armor for the LX skip slee, thats robbery. i bought all my stuff, 3pc underbody skids, sliders front and rear bumpers with custom game carrier, dual winch mounts, spare tire, etc from Bumpit Offroad. he did a great job, actually a little overkill on the sliders, but some people like that.

totals
Skid plates $875
Sliders $675
Front bumper $900
...light cut outs $100
...tilt tube work $300
Rear bumper $900
...tire carrier $500
...Winch plate $200

take a look a similar from ORC or gwagonpreserve, or whomever, as you wont find many options out there. you'll dump twice as much into a G. example, for 700.00 the single tube sliders and they dont even attach to the frame, they bolt to the captive nut locations on the rockers. seven hundred dollars for two pieces of tube with 3 tabs welded on. thats all you'll find in the USA, non custom. three years ago, for the simple non integrated straight bumper a G requires, gwagonpreserve quoted me 1600.00 in the white, no brushbar, no light holes.

spend some time on P3 or Clubgwagon lurking and searching, expensive parts fail on G's with alarming regularity, from 700 dollar window regulators, to door handles, to seat controls, to springs shearing two coils in, (me). stuff you NEVER see failing on a lexus. its like they used a VW parts bin for the 463's.

the G is expensive to operate, and doesnt do anything any better than other cheaper options. you buy it for the same reason a basketball player does, IMAGE. its cool. you like to seen in it. the question i have, is, why are people so self conscious about admitting that? so what? a seiko tells time better than an omega, but id rather be seen with the omega.

the G is expensive to operate, and doesnt do anything any better than other cheaper options. you buy it for the same reason a basketball player does, IMAGE. its cool. you like to seen in it. the question i have, is, why are people so self conscious about admitting that? so what? a seiko tells time better than an omega, but id rather be seen with the omega.

Maybe you feel this way but some of us actually wheel our G-wagons and put them to the test. I don't care who sees me in it, I bought it because it meets all my needs. I already know who I am, I don't need a vehicle to make me feel good about myself. I have my kids for that.

It's a great vehicle. I would not pay to much attention to everything you hear on the internet and this applies to all vehicles not just the G500. The internet is a place where everyone goes to complain. It's hard to get a good representation of all owners on the internet.

If I were you I would look for a 2004+ because there are fewer electrical and window regulator issues reported. If a vehicles biggest issue is the window regulators, then it probably a pretty good vehicle and hopefully window regulators won't leave you stranded on the side of the trail.

Is the G-class perfect, no. But it may be as close to perfect as any vehicle ever built and it definitely belongs in the conversation with the Land Cruiser, Defender 110 and the Toyota Pickup. You just cant go wrong with any of them.

http://pangaea-expeditions.com/5-best-overland-vehicles-ever/

chris505

Observer
...The internet is a place where everyone goes to complain....
Truth!!!

There is allot of bad info concerning the G500 and big tires.

Many of us run 35" tires every day on G500 with zero lift and no rubbing, the wheel wells are huge.

G500s (463) dont have any wheel bearing issues, it's the old utilitarian 460s (1979-1989) that are known to need front wheel bearings every 40K mi.

Last edited:

hoser

Explorer
Even with the TC(Transfer Case) module trickery(pointedthree forum has the link to how to do this with the Star Diagnos or Autologic computer, you're changing two drop-down settings to try to make the truck think that it's running as close to 33's as possible...I can't remember if there is a combination for 35s, mserpe from GWagen Preserve or chris505, both on clubgwagen, could tell you as they've run 35's on a '02+ W463). I made the change to 33's and on tighter corners, my truck still tries to "keep me on the road" as it thinks I'm out of control. I've since learned to drive with two feet on curvy roads; left food brake a bit and right foot throttle. This seems to work the best as far as a the ESP light not coming on and pulsing the brakes to "control" the vehicle.
Thanks Koly, Chuck, mk, et al. This is what I remember, a work around for up to 33's but it sounds like you even with 33's it is not quite "calibrated." I'll have to check with those you mentioned that have been running 35's.

I've been wanting a G for awhile as well. The higher cost of parts and lower perceived reliability is manageable. I've held back due to the smaller enthusiast support group and availability of aftermarket parts.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks Koly, Chuck, mk, et al. This is what I remember, a work around for up to 33's but it sounds like you even with 33's it is not quite "calibrated." I'll have to check with those you mentioned that have been running 35's.

I've been wanting a G for awhile as well. The higher cost of parts and lower perceived reliability is manageable. I've held back due to the smaller enthusiast support group and availability of aftermarket parts.

And....here is chris505 to show us his 35's, great timing Chris! :smiley_drive:

I haven't been in the LC enthusiast support group, but the G support group is intimately tight-knit and such a joy to be involved in!
Yes, it's a boutique truck, lower volume, so no Jeep or Toyota here, so mod parts are fewer and more expensive. But do you know how many modded JK's and Taco's I see here in Portland even? How many 100's?(a few, many more 80's). How many G's?(a few, along the same lines of 100's). I like being different--do I care that bball players and celebrities drive these? Heck no, because theirs certainly doesn't even look close to mine. I like the German(Austrian) heritage(more behind this with my career), I appreciate the hand-built quality of most of the truck, I like the ruggedness and military heritage, I like the boxyness and very tall ceiling. There is no perfect truck IMHO. I appreciate the 100's, Hiscox was raving about how comfortable it was to drive his on a long trip, I haven't taken my G on a very long trip yet(as long as I solve the oscillations through the truck at 57mph I'll be good---getting Counteract product for the beadlocks this week). All in all, I love my G. If I was in the Toyota world, I'd have a 100 as I appreciate a less-truck-like feel on a daily driven overlanding rig.

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Ill chime in with my .01 since the main pojnts have already been made. I own both the 100 and g500. And if I could only have one it would be the g500. It's been cheap to maintain and trouble free for the most part. I love the way it drives and the seating positions through out the cab. The build quality is a notch above the LC and its really easy to work on. Both my cars are on 33" and they ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364884959.706018.jpgboth average 13's. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either car cross country on a whims notice. However I have a hard time beating up on my g500 on the trails and that's my only gripe :)

Ill chime in with my .01 since the main pojnts have already been made. I own both the 100 and g500. And if I could only have one it would be the g500. It's been cheap to maintain and trouble free for the most part. I love the way it drives and the seating positions through out the cab. The build quality is a notch above the LC and its really easy to work on. Both my cars are on 33" and they both average 13's. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either car cross country on a whims notice. However I have a hard time beating up on my g500 on the trails and that's my only gripe :)

Why is it that everyone average 13-14mpg in there G500 and I get 18mpg. Am I the only one getting this type of mileage consistently? My cruiser only got 13 no matter how I drove it but my G500 does much better. Even today I got 17.8mpg on regular not supreme fuel. I have to keep a log I for my tax purposes and I snap a pic with my cell every day to log it into my computer. By the way awesome rides.

hoser

Explorer
The G500 is much more trail ready right out of the box and you may never need to modify it other than slapping on some bigger tires. I have had a blast with mine and it is in stock form. My G500 is about to undergo a transformation but I am spending most of the budget on expedition gear because the vehicle does not need many improvements. I plan to get some beadlocks, a roof rack, a trailer hitch, 2 roof top tents, some awnings, and an offroad trailer with all the goodies like 12 volt power, sink, stove, fridge, water tanks, air bags and more beadlocks. I am glad I can spend the extra money on the trailer rather than dumping into setting up suspension and addressing all the shortcomings on the vehicle.

Both are great rigs, Toyota's are more of a platform to build on while the G500 is trail ready right out of the box.
Can you elaborate on "much more trail ready?" I know factory lockers is a big one but what else?

Can you elaborate on "much more trail ready?" I know factory lockers is a big one but what else?

I know it's easy to overlook the rest of the vehicle because of the lockers and high end reputation, but the more affordable they become, I can see more and more FZJ80 and UZJ100 guys making the switch to the G-Class. As a Toyota guy at heart I feel I am probably ahead of the curve a little bit on making the switch to the G-class. It just has a lot of the charm of my older cruisers but more power and refinement.

IF you are referring to the LX470 the things that make the G a better wheeler out of the box include.

You have the advantage of horsepower, lockers, approach and departure angles, ability to fit 35's with out a lift or re-gearing, crawl ratio, better visibility, better maneuverability, fording depth, front and rear solid axles, ability to lock the center and rear diffs in high range, Bilstien factory suspension, lower center of gravity and the ability to traverse 36 degree side hills. I am sure I missed a few but at the end of the day the G-class is more out of the box ready. That being said, there is no substitution for having a good experienced driver behind the wheel.

Last edited:

chris505

Observer
Am I the only one getting this type of mileage consistently?

Most definitely YES.

The rest of us suffer with 11-14mpg drinking premium fuel.

The traction control issue on newer G500s is something to consider, but please consider that even with stock tires the ESP kicks in at inopportune moments. So I would not worry about fitting larger tires, as ESP will always be breathing over your shoulder no matter the what, left foot braking is the answer to this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne