Insurance advice for Tacoma with Four Wheel Camper UTE

just got a quote for my tacoma with a four wheel ute and its not pretty. since i removed the bed, the insurance companies are saying that the integrity is compromised. Any XP owners out there? what do you guys do? Out of the 17 insurance companies that the agent went to, only 1 said they would insure it and they wanted 400 per month.. any help would be much appreciated.
photo.JPG

ExpoMike

Since you haven't filled out your profile to indicate where you are located, this info is for CA. Having just done this, I was able to change my truck with FWC from a standard commerical tag (which all trucks in CA are) to an RV classification. This elimiated the weight penitalty but I can never have anything in the bed if I ever pull the camper off. Big fine if caught. I would think if you can get it transfered to a RV classification, it would make it easier.

Clutch

<---Pass
Im trying that now but its proving to be difficult.

Perhaps go to private title agency, instead of the DMV. "Should" be able to register it as a Class B Motorhome.

There has to be a loop hole somewhere, registering it another state perhaps? Rural AZ is pretty laxed...

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
just got a quote for my tacoma with a four wheel ute and its not pretty. since i removed the bed, the insurance companies are saying that the integrity is compromised. Any XP owners out there? what do you guys do? Out of the 17 insurance companies that the agent went to, only 1 said they would insure it and they wanted 400 per month.. any help would be much appreciated.
View attachment 180333

That is a strange thought. The bed that was removed was composite and bolted to the chassis. It provides little or no integrity to the truck as a whole. The Ute tray, basically a flat bed conversion, has steel cross members that bolt between the chassis rails and an aluminum frame work that sits on that.

Many truck have flat bed conversions and have no issue getting insurance. The only difference is you have a camper on your flatbed.

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a strange thought. The bed that was removed was composite and bolted to the chassis. It provides little or no integrity to the truck as a whole. The Ute tray, basically a flat bed conversion, has steel cross members that bolt between the chassis rails and an aluminum frame work that sits on that.

Many truck have flat bed conversions and have no issue getting insurance. The only difference is you have a camper on your flatbed.

We are talking insurance companies here, any excuse to get money out of a person...

...I could see the argument at being close to capacity or a little over, though.

Last edited:

tex222

I bought a used f250 with a ute flatbed and an ATC camper this summer. AAA had no issues insuring it.

Tex

Ended up getting insurance through NGIC. was mellow. I think the insurance agent i talked to first was trying to milk as much cash out of me as possible.

foster

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

That was my thought as well.

Register/insure the truck as a "truck", then add a rider on the policy for the camper.

The rider for my FWC (which is much older & not nearly as expensive) runs about $40/year, & is tied to the truck policy (IE: no insurance if it is on a different truck).

wetravel

I have Allstate and I simply insured my truck and camper as one unit.The coverage on the camper is extended from the truck if you have collision and comp and only while it is on the vehicle.Generally the camper off the truck is covered at your home by your Homeowners policy away from home is where the problem lies if it is off the truck,no coverage.The camper must be listed on the policy,say no more about removing the bed because no one should ask.I should also say most agent have no idea how to insure one they want to put a trailer policy coverage on the unit which is incorrect.The correct way is when the truck is added to the policy a prompt will come up asking if you have a camper and it is at this time the unit is put on.I just went thru all of this.I repeat no one should even ask about the bed being removed.

Kowboy

Adventurer
Might try Good Sam Club. I'm a lifetime member from back in my motorhome days so not sure what their membership dues are these days or if they're even still in bid'ness. But they were willin' to call just 'bout anythang an RV and their insurance was cheap.

Never had to file a claim with them though so can't speak on that aspect.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier