Expedition West Tacoma DEPOSIT IN HAND

GR8ADV

Explorer
Whoa. Say it ain't so.

Ken, does everything work on the truck now? Gauges, electronics, air system, mechanical bits, plumbing, etc.? Tires, alignment, suspension, steering still good? Anything different from when you got it except the tent and top of bed structure? Thanks.

I know, it just seems wrong doesn't it. THE Adventure Vehicle as my wife calls it, really needs to be a part of the Portal. I am willing to consider offers to keep it home, but there just does not seem to be the interest from members at this time. I would expect it to move on a national market place, but I hear you, it would be a shame.

Regading the vehicle, I have only put about 8,000 miles on her, mostly on the highway getting to cool places. No significant 'off road'. Tires are perfect. All systems are better than ever (literally) after the re-wiring, clean-up and regrounding up front. I have also added a functioning and much larger 1500w inverter. It is also now correctly wired with an inline fuse and is away from the battery in the bed tucked behind the storage units. Not only does it now function, it will now run our espresso machine! The back up camera is now commercial grade and has several open ports for multiple cameras if the owner wishes. I also provided direct cut off switches to the back up camera and the Lowarance GPS as these were responsible for small battery drains even when 'turned off'. I have installed a battery tender connection for the front battery and a disconnect for the rear. As you are aware there is a plug in to charge the rear battery from a 120 source. Two new high end batteries replaced the existing ones. I was very surprised to see that the propane fittings were air fittings and not gas fittings; these have been replaced. Also I now have the correct fittings to the propane stove. I bypassed the water around the water filter, as (being in the industry) the way it was plumbed was a stomach problem waiting to happen. It was also not feasible to drain it properly for cold climates. It is no longer an issue.

Basically Mike, it has been used on a few overland and off the grid trips, one as long as two weeks. During these trips I was able to really sort it out and get it to a place where it all functions extremely well for extended travel. I am actually amazed that two of us could go off the grid for over a week and still have enough fresh meat and veggies etc with no worries. We even made our own ice with the fridge. With the raised bed and the roof rack one now has more than enough storage space for chairs, the annex room, tarps, firewood or whatever, without using the rear seats for storage room. With the added clearance of the channel beams, one can also remove the tent and place any Thule/Yakima rack for ski's, bikes, boxes etc in place to make the truck more versitile than ever. The beams can be easly removed with 4 bolts if someone wants to as well. The annex room is a huge benefit for privacy and protected space from wind and weather. And it is really nice for disrobing at night without having to do it in the tent. And lastly ( I think), I have a never used shady boy awning sitting in the garage waiting for me to mount it off the rear as a final touch to protect the cooking area from rain. (we get that here ya know).

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Just pulled out all the spares, hoses, pumps, belts, manuals etc etc etc. Three boxes of stuff :Wow1: An honest and very capable overland vehicle ready to roll.

EBAY auction ends on Sunday at noon. Nearly 2000 visits and 60 folks watching and still counting. Make me an offer! I will be out of town on a Moto adventure from Friday noon til after the close... tic tic tic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Toyota-Tacoma-SR5-Double-Cab-Expedition-Overland-Vehicle-/130968816413?_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_2253wt_1167

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
This vehicles fortes are: function, reliability, versatility and being a complete package. Parting it out is not an option. thanks, however.

Regards

TheJosh

Explorer
I'm curious about it changing hands so much. Do they owners just never feel a true sense of ownership with this truck? I personally would never buy it because I didn't build it. Building it is most of the fun involved.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

GR8ADV

Explorer
Do they owners just never feel a true sense of ownership with this truck? I personally would never buy it because I didn't build it. Building it is most of the fun involved.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I have an awesome sense of ownership! I bought it with a couple of specific big trips in mind, both of which are on longer holds that I would like. I also have some job changes that are challenging the situation, as well as some competing interests from a Moto. Whine whine whine. So it sits more than I would like, and I think it is really a shame to not have this baby 'out there' . I will let the other couple owners chime in here for their own reasons if they want.

Building your own is fun too, so have at it. I have built a lot of things in my day. (expensive game) I sense many folks here are 'hobby' travelers and like to tinker the build and head out for a weekend with friends, or do some crawling with the buds; that is all great! If someone wants a remarkable vehicle already done (for pennies on the dollar) so they can take off tomorrow, where ever, for as long as they want, this be the one.

It is sick, it is fun, it does EVERYTHING one could ever reasonably ask of it. It makes life on the trail really really easy and simple. From external lighting front and rear, cool internal 'touch' LED lighting, built in propane, air compressor, solar hook-up, water, dual tanks, a queen bed, shower, to...well the list is too long. In fact, like a slinky, it is a fun and magical toy :) If it does not sell, I am way-fine with continuing on the current path of owning and playing with one really amazing vehicle.

Thanks Josh.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm curious about it changing hands so much. Do they owners just never feel a true sense of ownership with this truck?
Owner One, Scott Brady/Expeditions West, went on several important expeditions and then moved on to new project trucks. That's how things are done with Scott, but the Tacoma remains on of his favorites.

Owner Two, James Roy, added much sophistication to the truck, took it to Central America and on other significant trips. He sold the Tacoma to me to have a highly-customized Sportsmobile built to his specifications.

I was Owner 3. I bought it and used it extensively around the Northwest, but my XV-JP Earthroamer Jeep was available and I bought that, too. It was a very close thing as to which of the two trucks to keep, but the rarity of the XV-JP--a total production of eleven--swayed me. I added a few nice improvements to the Tacoma, but did not substantially add to the build, as everything was pretty much optimal at that point. I did, however, spend a fair amount replacing or refurbishing everything that needed it, so the truck was close to as-new specification.

Owner 4 is the current seller, who simply has enough other things going on to limit his ability to use the truck as intended. His larger and more sophisticated tent makes it more suitable for a family, but the truck is still as capable as ever.

I personally would never buy it because I didn't build it.
You're welcome to your perfectly-worthy perspective, but some of us take great pride in having things built with the finest engineering and fabrication. You can't build a Ferrari, and you couldn't built this truck, but even if was fabricated by others, there'd still be a lot of reason to want to own and use either one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94