M416 Based Off-road Trailer build with Lock-N-Roll Trailer Hitch

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
M416 Off-road Trailer Build - Moved from Other Expedition Vehicles Section

Sorry but I couldn't find a way to move the whole thread and I was not able to copy any replies only my posts. I'll delete my other posts and direct everyone to this area.

I hope you enjoy this build thread on my trailer. It's still a work in progress and about 80% finished at this point. Feel free to comment or ask any questions. I have the original fenders, axle with park brakes, tires and Wheels for sale. Most everything else is being used in the build or thrown away as it was worthless.

For quite a while after seeing these trailers being used for the Jeeper's Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail to haul in supplies I've wanted one. These trailers impressed me with their design and features. I spent a significant amount of time surfing the web and looking at what people had built and modifications they made to them to make them better. This build borrows on many of the builds that I saw and modifications I liked and some of the things that I wanted to avoid such as doing a spring-over conversion. One major goal is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible while still having the same 35” tires as the Jeep. Here's a photo of our 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ that will be pulling the trailer. The plan is to paint the trailer to match the Jeep.

I started my search for a nice clean M416 in about January. Good clean M416 trailers are very scarce and I missed out on a few great deals and passed on a few that were more expensive or rougher than what I had in mind. Ultimately, I placed a “looking for” ad in Craig's List and got a call from a gentleman in the San Diego area. He emailed me photos and it looked good. We settled on $800.00 I also located an ad on Craig's list for someone selling a new heavy axle with Jeep hubs , springs and hardware. He was planning a similar upgrade project but chose another route. I live in Las Vegas and both sellers lived only a few miles apart in San Diego.
I made the arrangements, scrounged up the cash and the following weekend and made the trip to buy my M416 and also the axle I needed. I didn't want to tow the trailer home so I brought it home on my car trailer we use for the Jeep on the longer trips.
Here are photos of the trailer I purchased. It the tub and frame was in fairly good shape, there are a few rust holes that need to be patched and the lunette ring had been replaced with a standard type trailer hitch. I let the owner of the trailer keep the park brake control and cable as I didn't need it. He didn't have any ownership documents or a title. This ended up being a problem later with the DMV but I was able to work it out over time. I appreciate their assistance.
Here are photos of the trailer as I bought it.

The trailer had seven different colors of paint rust on the floor and frame and evidence that I had been used since it was built sometime in the 1960's. I couldn't find and sign of a serial number on the trailer.
I started to try to strip the paint myself but found it to be far more difficult than I expected. I was able to strip the floor of the trailer but later decided to have the tub bead blasted and I would recondition the frame myself. I did remove the major castings and brackets and sent them with the tub for bead blasting too.
While the tub was out I took the frame down to bare metal with a grinder, flap discs and wire wheels.

The first coat of paint was a rust converter and the final coats are Rustoleum texture black paint. This paint is a perfect match to the black powder coat on our Jeep. The ultimate plan is for the chassis to be black with red highlights such as the shocks and some trim.

The tub will be painted Sienna Pearl (Maroon) to match the Jeep and the fenders will be custom made by Moab Fab to look similar to the Metal Cloak fenders on the Jeep. The Tub will be lined with a black texture similar to Line-X

Last edited:

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
Here is a photo of the trailer frame after paint. I fell behind schedule waiting for the tub and brackets to come back from the bead blaster.

While I waited for the bead blaster I fabricated a rear bumper that resembles the bumper on the Jeep. I found the shackle mounts on Ebay and added a receiver that I bought at Harbor Freight. The rear receiver opens up a few options such a table, BBQ mount or bike rack. I reinforced the rear frame with 1/4" plates to make it stronger.

Here's the finished bumper

Here's a photo of the new axle and the 35X12.5R15 BFG KM2 tires that match the tires on the Jeep I was able to find a good used set with some life left in them for $50.00 I intend to buy a pair of Interco Bird Dog Wheels to match the ones on the Jeep. The wheels will have more inset and provide more space between the frame and the tires.

The new springs that I bought online from a surplus warehouse needed some TLC and required that I removed the bushings from one end but they worked perfectly. I did remove one of the leaves to soften up the rate a bit. With the tub and brackets back from the bead blaster I was able to paint and install the hangers draw bar and the lunette casting with folding front leg.

Here's the new spring, shock, spring stop ect installed. All the hardware including the nuts and bolts are new.

One of my coolest mods is the changes I made to the original tail lamps. I loved the aluminum housings but wanted a more modern look. I was able to remove the guts and grind out the areas near the lens to allow for an LED stop,turn, tail lamp. The LED lamp is held in with silicone. There is a 3/4" hole in the back where the original wires came in. This hole allowed me to easily install a 3/4" red marker lamp made by Maxxima. This marker lamp is very bright and has a lifetime warranty. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of the housing for the wires to come in from and sealed it with silicone. The whole assembly is water tight and solid. I have added additional amber marker lamps in the front corners of the frame.

Besides the LED tail lamps and marker lamps I will be installing these sealed LED strips to the underside of the crossmembers directly in front and behind of the axle for rock lights. I will also be adding an LED stop lamp across the back of the tub near the bumper. This tail lamp is a combination stop, tail, turn signal and has backup lamps built in. It will be mounted inside a channel to protect it from impacts.

Forward of the tub will be this tool box that was purchased from Harbor Freight and painted texture black to match the frame. The tool box will be mounted over a 1" square tube frame so that it clears the forward casting. Electrical from the Jeep and to the lights will be routed into the box where all the connections will be made. I have an Optima yellow top battery for the box that will be charged by the Jeep and feed an Inverter and external 12V connections for things like our ARB fridge freezer. This box is popular on these trailers and fits like it was designed for a M416.

One of the things I wanted to retain was the front casting for the original Lunette eye setup. We were able to cut and grind off the standard trailer hitch that was on the trailer when I purchased it. The Lunette shaft had been cut directly behind the eye. My friend and professional welder Eddie Nez adapted the Lunette shaft to a receiver tube in such a way as to provide a strong setup without any shear points. The reciever tube allows me to extend or retract the hitch roughly 12". Everybody knows that the hot hitch setup for serious off-road trailers is the Lock-N-Roll hitch. This setup allows the trailer to twist and turn without binding and avoids the banging, squeaking and popping of the 1940's pintle hitch design. Thanks to the folks at Lock and Roll for helping me select the best hitch for this project. I'm impressed with the design and I'm excited to put it to work.

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
The work on the M416 trailer was set aside for a bit as I broke the rear pinion gear on my Dana 44 rear axle and my attention and resources turned to the Jeep. Besides that the heat in Las Vegas this last week has been extreme in the triple digits. I was able to work on the wiring a bit and also on the tool box. I've drilled all of the mounting holes and cut a 3/4" plywood floor for the box so that the battery tray could be more easily secured.

The red trim around the bottom of the tool box comes from a raffle prize from Nemesis Industries that we won but couldn't use. We love Nemesis and their products and their logo is cool so it cut and painted this aluminum piece red and fit it to the box.

Because of the 35" tires that will be replacing the original military tires being taller the flip down landing leg was too short. I've taken a reciever tube and cut it to fit. This and the tube that slides into it gives me enough length and multiple holes to allow height adjustment. I will be welding a foot to the bottom of the inner tube.

I Drilled holes and mounted two different power ports and a weather protected toggle switch on the right hand side of the box. One power port is a DIN / Hella socket for our ARB fridge freezer and the other for a standard 12V socket. The toggle switch will turn on and off the rock lights and will also be connected to a small LED tool box light.

I still have quite a bit of wiring to do including mounting a terminal block on the frame and the wiring the inside of the tool box. The tub still needs a bunch of attention and I can't mount the tool box or fab up the fenders before the tub is on the frame.

Last edited:

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
Progress has been slow lately due to near record heat in Las Vegas. I was able to add some power ports I needed to both sides of the tool box. This will allow me to easily connect a charger to the battery and some of the other things I use such as LED flood lamps that are very efficient and connect with the common 2-pin 12V plug. I also added a small led status lamp above the waterproof toggle switch. The toggle switch controls the LED rock lights under the trailer.

DSC07835.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC07839.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Inside the tool box I have mounted the battery box to the plywood on the floor and installed a fuse box on top of the battery cover. The fuse box will provide protection to anything connected to the power ports. I'm going to mount a small LED interior light that will be controlled by a switch in the lid that lights up blue when turned on. The main junction box has not been mounted yet but will be forward of the battery to allow for the most storage space.

DSC07833.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC07840.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

To add a bit of bling and to fill the holes in the tail lamp housings where the original military lenses attached I've installed stainless steel machine screws into the cast aluminum mounting holes.

On the LH rear side of the frame is a junction block where all of the lights will connect to the main 7-way cable. This junction block is mounted to two 25# magnets from Harbor Freight. This allows me easier access to make my electrical connections and snaps onto the frame securely. It also saves me from drilling more holes into the frame. As you can see this if currently only partially connected.

We hope to layout the design for the fenders this week. I had hoped to be able to use some Metalcloak ball ends like our Jeep has but this fell through as they cost too much so I will be going with nice tube ends from Ballistic Fab that are similar to the Metalcloak at a fraction of the price.

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
I made a little more progress this weekend. Worked mostly on finishing the wiring on the chassis and inside the tool box.

I added a 400 watt Cobra inverter to the system that has and connected up all of the external power ports. Also installed and partially wired the junction box inside the tool box and did some chassis wiring.

I also installed an LED interior light for the tool box. This lamp is turned on and off by a lighted switch in the underside of the tool box lid.

I found this build a couple of weeks ago in other expedition vehicles. Glad to see it here. I am sure there are others that will enjoy your build as much as I do.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Nice build! I hear ya on the heat! Building my TD the swamp cooler couldnt keep up and the couple weeks of humidty really sucked! What part of town are you on?

yotes65

Observer
Awesome Build... looking forward to the continuation of this thread... booked marked for future reference.

Some day I hope to have a M416 to convert myself. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior