long term 101 project

buff

Observer
Let's just say the penzance area ;) but i know falmouth well. Dont envy you living up in england.

buff

Observer
I did some research before buying the 101 and noticed a lot of people changed stuff for no good reason without even driving them first, so thought i'd make small changes as time and fund's would allow. Other than the body which was always on the card's from day one. But the constant thought's of enough petrol or lpg for trip's out and possibly the cost's of replacing the radiator and cracked exhaust manifold (if i could find a replacement) Meant sooner or later the V8 would go, boo hiss and all that. But other than the sound they make Ive never been impressed with the heat they put out or issues when running on lpg, but each to they're own.
532804_10151456415082483_701593306_n.jpg

buff

Observer
tunnel 2.JPG
Lot's of measuring later some new radiator mount's and engine/gearbox mount's an ex disco 300 tdi and R380 slipped into place, it was a no brainer really as the engine and box cost me what a rad re core and manifold would have.
529305_10151456414892483_2131362332_n.jpg

buff

Observer
Lost a bit of room in the rear due to the gearbox being longer and the need for a longer gearstick linkage, could have cut the original gear lever down but was unsure if it would effect gear changes etc. As it is the extra bit on the back of the gearbox cover sits under the seat frame just. Also raised the engine cover sides to allow room for the expansion tank and fuel filter (original V8 expansion tank fitted behind the front bumper)
305740_10151456414952483_1136785280_n.jpg

buff

Observer
Now the lpg tank had gone i had a usable outside storage space, so thought an outside toolbox/camping gear box would be good.
toolbox.jpg
Proved ideal place to store pots,pan's and stove

buff

Observer
Next job was an awning, not to bothered about something that goes up in thirty second's mainly because of the cost of such awning's. Made this one up last year the night before going away, out of some alloy angle/wood and a basha sheet + some old tent poles and a load of gaffa tape
photo(13).JPG

buff

Observer
But it was interesting when it got windy, so the mark 2 version is made 10 pieces of 20x20 box section. Attaches to the side of the land rover using series 3 soft top staple brackets, another 5 minute job :)
945689_10151584245377483_1347546614_n.jpg
1148908_10151651482462483_1795436784_n.jpg

DividingCreek

Explorer
Did switching from an lt95 to the r380 and lt230 setup require custom drive/prop shafts ? How does the 300 compare to the 3.9 running on lpg ?
Love what you have done with it. How long a period has the transformation taken ? Impressive rig.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
This thread has made me want a 101 so bad haha. Adding to Doug's question, how much modification was required total for the 300 Tdi conversion?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I know, it's actually at RN right now getting serviced. Doesn't make it any more practical to own :)

buff

Observer
Prop shaft wise, the rear prop is a discovery 1 front prop shaft. The front is a custom made one (although apparently there is a standard land rover one that would fit) 101's tend to suffer with front propshaft rumble, So now its a double cardon on the front. Now the hard bit comparing the engines, maybe if money was no object id still be running the V8 on petrol with a new custom rad etc. After running a couple of V8 land rover's i'd say starting a hot V8 is a pain in the ***, if you dont get it right. I realize that an injection engine would be easier, due to them alway's starting on petrol then switching over to lpg etc. Ive tweaked the 300 pump a little plus it has a larger inter cooler ( 300x300 universal evo inter cooler off ebay for £57) in front of the standard disco rad. So its smooth and pulls better from low down than the V8, but there's a difference in the rev ranges of both engines. 3000 revs with the V8 would be 60mph, but 60mph with the 300 engine is closer to 3500 rev's. So at some point in the new year ive got some 4.7 diffs to fit that should level thing out a bit. Mods wise for fitting the engine, discovery engine chassis mounts, new gearbox mounts, new rad mount's (but possible to use standard 101 mount's) Longer gear change linkage, standard disco down pipe with choice of silencers added. Think that's about it really, basically ive used as much standard stuff as i could to keep costs down. I bought the vehicle in june 2010, cleaned it up etc drove it for nearly a year then changed engine in april 2011, cut body up late april. Took about a month to make the bare body in between my day job, then just worked on everything else when i had any spare cash. Put the 300 in this May, the diesel is a bit noisier inside than the old engine. So im still working on insulation. But at present its quieter than the V8 with a cracked manifold. The vehicle is getting there now, its just the odd tweak and detail now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz