SSF556 Build Up - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

ryanh1006

Kyrgyzstan Expat
Looking at a WJ build with similar characteristics (actually building two) for my business in Kyrgyzstan...we can get the CRD parts because there also Merc parts. Anyway, thanks for the great ideas.

Chuck59

Observer
Nice rig. I find I really enjoy working on my vehicle as well as the exploration experience it provides.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
some pics from the cfw weekend ride....

hy7asene.jpg

qamenyjy.jpg

dyzytury.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jpat30

Adventurer
Scootr,
Like the new pinstriping that you added. Really compliments the jeep. Seriously though, I have enjoyed reading through your build several times and it is really tempting to upgrade from my WJ to a WK CRD. A question for you; what type of mileage figures do you consistently see from your jeep? I realize that you have the ECO tune, just trying to get a "real world" review.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Scootr,
Like the new pinstriping that you added. Really compliments the jeep. Seriously though, I have enjoyed reading through your build several times and it is really tempting to upgrade from my WJ to a WK CRD. A question for you; what type of mileage figures do you consistently see from your jeep? I realize that you have the ECO tune, just trying to get a "real world" review.

Last weekend I took a trip to North GA, mix of highway, back roads, and a 2 hour trail ride and I averaged 22.5 mpgs. The EVIC showed 19.5 mpgs for the entire trail ride. I do not DD my CRD so fuel economy numbers will vary. Of course the key is MPH and I do not run over 2500rpms...which is between 70 and 72mph. I believe and this is backed up by others that if you drop to 65mph you can see 25mpgs with lift and tires.

Jeep/Mercedes should have given the CRD a 6th gear to get RPMS down to 2000 when running at 70mph...that would put us over 25mpg on a regular basis.

All that being said I can go 400+ miles on a tank of fuel at 70mph which is a big plus.

What is cool about the CRD is how effortlessly it hauls the 6500 pounds around. Very rarely do I ever see a downshift from 5th to 4th gear....the longer you are in top gear the better the fuel economy. It is very composed and does not break a sweat for what I do with it.

Torque is king.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Jeep/Mercedes should have given the CRD a 6th gear to get RPMS down to 2000 when running at 70mph...that would put us over 25mpg on a regular basis.

Do you know if anyone has ever put a 6 speed standard behind that CRD?

Something from Mercedes should do the trick (they often used the NSG-370 in their late 90's and early 00's sedans - which is the same 6-speed used in the JK)

Thanks,

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Do you know if anyone has ever put a 6 speed standard behind that CRD?

Something from Mercedes should do the trick (they often used the NSG-370 in their late 90's and early 00's sedans - which is the same 6-speed used in the JK)

Thanks,

-Dan

Throw enough money into and yes you probably could get a manual transmission put in...I believe there is a 6 speed manual option for the European Sprinter, the manual did not come to NA.

Road blocks:

- WK footwell not designed for clutch pedal

- Limited amount of room for clutch cylinder under hood

- Center console not designed for manual

There have been guys to change out the rear gear on the 2wd WK CRDs. That probably would be a better and more cost efficient way to get extra mpg. I believe there is a company that is working on a new rear gear for the 4wd guys.

I personally do not need a manual transmission, especially since Jeep provides us a way to disconnect the driveline to tow behind an RV for instance.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Torque is king.
You're not kidding, Scott.

My new JK has 3.73s, 6-speed manual, and the Pentastar V6 gasser. I swapped the OE minivan tires for ST-Maxx 255/780-17 ---- 2000 rpm @ 65mph. But if I get to a hill, I have to go down to 5th. Then sometimes 4th.
It's worlds better than the 4-speed autotrans was on my old JK with 3.8L engine. But it doesn't have the 410 ft lbs of torque that the Power Wagon had.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
You're not kidding, Scott.

My new JK has 3.73s, 6-speed manual, and the Pentastar V6 gasser. I swapped the OE minivan tires for ST-Maxx 255/780-17 ---- 2000 rpm @ 65mph. But if I get to a hill, I have to go down to 5th. Then sometimes 4th.
It's worlds better than the 4-speed autotrans was on my old JK with 3.8L engine. But it doesn't have the 410 ft lbs of torque that the Power Wagon had.

As you know plus and minus for all vehicles....fingers crossed for a diesel JKU in the near future with 400+ torque. You will then be able to trade in the gasser and haul your trailer in style. I am still holding out hope for some type of ROW pickup coming...Ford Ranger, Hilux, or VW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles