Winch options: TS9500 vs M8000

cmj

I'm having a hard time making up my mind here.. can anyone convince me one way or the other?

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml
http://www.superwinch.com/p/tiger-shark-9500-9500-lbs-12v

TS9500

Pros:
  • Higher load rating
  • Stainless roller fairlead
  • Lower amp draw at max load (340 amps at 9500lb, vs 435 amps at 8000 for the M8000)
  • Cheaper ($357 shipped vs $500 after rebate)
  • Sealed contactor solenoid

Cons:
  • Hasn't been around as long as the M8000
  • 2 Year Warranty
  • Can't be used with a synthetic rope(per manufacturer)

M8000

Pros:
  • Made in the USA
  • Lifetime Warranty on Mechanical Components, 1 year on Electrical
  • Has been around for a long time
  • 5' longer rope
  • Faster line speed: No load, 30 vs 20 fpm. Both are about the same at max load, but the Superwinch is probably faster at 8000 lbs.

Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Lower pull rating
  • Higher amp draw at load

ExploringNH

Explorer
I'm having a hard time making up my mind here.. can anyone convince me one way or the other?

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml
http://www.superwinch.com/p/tiger-shark-9500-9500-lbs-12v

TS9500

Pros:
  • Higher load rating
  • Stainless roller fairlead
  • Lower amp draw at max load (340 amps at 9500lb, vs 435 amps at 8000 for the M8000)
  • Cheaper ($357 shipped vs $500 after rebate)

Cons:
  • Hasn't been around as long as the M8000
  • 2 Year Warranty
  • Can't be used with a synthetic rope(per manufacturer)

M8000

Pros:
  • Made in the USA
  • Lifetime Warranty on Mechanical Components, 1 year on Electrical
  • Has been around for a long time
  • 5' longer rope
  • Faster line speed: No load, 30 vs 20 fpm. Both are about the same at max load, but the Superwinch is probably faster at 8000 lbs.

Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Lower pull rating
  • Higher amp draw at load

One is a tried and true winch that has proven it's ability to stand the test of time. There is a reason the M8000 is the winch that all other winches are compared to.

The other is a price point winch built in China (better quality control than a no-name brand but still built in China).

Depends on what you expect out of them and what you need in a winch.

I would love to see a test where both winches are hooked to an 8000lb load and worked. My money would be on the Warn out-pulling the higher rated winch. I've run a T-Max which I loved, a Rugged Ridge which gets the job done, and a Warn which I know I can count on. I see a lot of beat up old Warns that still pull reliably every time. In a group of 5 brand new Chinese winches I can almost guarantee that one of them will have problems. No free spool, winch controller broken, solenoid failed, whatever. Whenever someone gets stuck with a Chinese winch I cross my fingers that it is not the 1 in 5 that fails.

cmj

One is a tried and true winch that has proven it's ability to stand the test of time. There is a reason the M8000 is the winch that all other winches are compared to.

The other is a price point winch built in China (better quality control than a no-name brand but still built in China).

Depends on what you expect out of them and what you need in a winch.

I would love to see a test where both winches are hooked to an 8000lb load and worked. My money would be on the Warn out-pulling the higher rated winch. I've run a T-Max which I loved, a Rugged Ridge which gets the job done, and a Warn which I know I can count on. I see a lot of beat up old Warns that still pull reliably every time. In a group of 5 brand new Chinese winches I can almost guarantee that one of them will have problems. No free spool, winch controller broken, solenoid failed, whatever. Whenever someone gets stuck with a Chinese winch I cross my fingers that it is not the 1 in 5 that fails.

Thank you for your feedback. There are a lot of junk winches out there, but the TS looks quite a bit better than most I've seen. However, I do like the idea of a tried and true m8000.

I have to start out with the important questions!
What are you putting it on?
The next question is what experience do you have with a winch?
Why do you want the winch? This is a serious question, not a joke. I ask this question and you would be amazed at the answers I have got over the years. Why would I ask this question? I am a certified I4WDTA educator with over 25 years of teaching. A number of years ago I asked the other educators from around the world a question. List the 10 most important pieces of equipment you need in the order of importance for 4 wheeling. Of the responses I got back (about a dozen) and of those I got 1- #9 winch and 2 - as #10 winch. This was for 4-wheeling and not overlanding mind you, so a little different. The difference being overlanding you may be by yourself more.

Without the proper training and equipment a winch is like a 4X4 vehicle with only 3 tires and rims.

I have had many brands and models over the years on many different vehicles. I have had both you listed (still have the Superwinch). They are both very good and proven products.

I think your question you want is"This one over that one" for (reasons). This I do not think you can get a honest answer with out having more information. I think you can get "This is what I have so it must be the best" answers. I do not believe you will make a informed decision from this type of information.

Thanks for the feedback and excellent questions.

I'll be putting it on my 98 Tacoma. The reason I am planning to purchase a winch is because I'm taking a trip up through the northwest to Alaska and want to be better prepared should I get into a bad situation.

I understand that a winch is not a crutch for bad wheeling technique or poor decisions, but it is an invaluable tool in certain situations. With that said, reliability is important. I won't be using it often at all, but it needs to work when I need it to.

I keep going back and forth. At the end of the day, both would probably work fine for my needs. I don't need the extra capacity of the Superwinch, but it couldn't hurt. I would love to save $150 and put it towards my trip.

I'm making a decision on Monday so I've got to make up my mind.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Sounds like both will meet your needs pretty well. $150 gets you a fair amount of miles on the road.

Like Frenchie said, get a snatch block and some D-rings/Shackles rated for double your winches capacity. I like to use the 6.5 ton shackles where I can. They are bigger which makes it easier to loop a strap through. You will also need a tree saver strap or sling (again rated at double the capacity of your winch) and a set of gloves to use with the winch. A winch is useless without the supporting gear and the knowledge of how to use it.

Keep the winch lubed and protected and it will last a lot longer. Make sure your wiring is done properly. A lot of winch "failures" are not a fault of the winch at all but of poor or loose wiring.

gregaf3

Observer
I was in the same boat recently but I was also considering the zeon8. I decided to go with something with a good track record and went with a m8000. Northridge 4x4 has them for $600 shipped and warn is also currently running a $100 mail in rebate for the m8000. For me it was a no brainer, David over there hooked me up with a little bit better price when I called too with the extra money saved I went ahead and got one of the factor 55 flat links too.

Just make sure that you practice using the winch before you get to a point where you need it and don't know.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I have run a warn hs9500, a mile marker 10k and on my current jeep have an old Superwinch S9000. The warn sits on my son's jeep now, the Milemarker was sold with the LR it was on.

The warn has survived year after year. I bought it used in 2004 and it took us through many adventures. I had it on a 2003 Jeep Rubicon that I lost in a vehicle fire. After the fire, I replaced the power cables, the solenoids and my son is using it to this day on his jeep. Solid piece of work, no doubt. Quiet, smooth. Very fast line speed.

The Mile marker was unremarkable... by that I mean it did it's job every time called upon, was not as quiet as the warn, was seemingly solid and I never had to do anything to it. Line speed was slow. This is where I learned that sometimes slow line speed can be of help, especially when alone.

The Superwinch S9000 is an older unit, I am not sure how old. I got it used for a good price and it has held up well. I have had to replace the solenoids, but as I said I don't know how old it is. Line speed is between the other two. It sounds like rocks in a tumbler when working, but it pulls great.

So where am I going with this? Just a couple points: 1) I don't think you can go wrong with either winch you are looking at. 2) The warn can be looked at, in my opinion, as a long term investment, which makes the $150 diminish in worry over time, if you have it. 3) Line speed is the most over rated factor in winching. If operating alone, which sounds like that's where your concern is, a slower line speed (for me) is helpful in that you get a better chance to observe what is happening. The difference in no load speed is moot when you are on your own and with no load a slower speed will make it easier to respool neatly and effectively.

Makes it hard to argue with the M8000. Fenchie's point about remembering to have $ for the other bits that you need is the best advice so far. When off road alone, a snatch block and the associated gear can literally be a lifesaver.

Good luck with your adventure.

John

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Can't go wrong with either and you probably won't miss the $150 in the long run if you decide on the M8000.

emmodg

Adventurer
Use your floor mat as a line damper, a piece of carpet, a jacket, etc... Superwinch gave us a **** ton of "line dampers" and we had a hard time giving them away. (There's a box of 30 or 40 of them molding away in storage.) The last thing most people want to carry is another piece of gear they "had" to buy for only one purpose.

With the money you saved by NOT buying a dedicated "line damper" buy a good book - Jim Allen's 4 Wheeler's Bible is still the best. Easy to read and I can think of at least 3 or 4 off road driving "schools" that use its contents for their COI.

Superwinch hooked me up with one of their Asian winches and I don't have 1 bad thing to say about it. I've run it with poly and have yet to have an issue due to heat or drum geometry. Monitor your winch when your using it and you won't have a problem. If I really wanted a Warn I'd be looking for another 8274. (Fast as hell!)

Buy what you can afford but use your head - don't buy from Tractor Supply or Wal Mart or JC Whitney. EVERY winch maker has at least one of their models made in China so take that as you will. Minimum of 8k and I can't see a reason why you's need anything over 12k. You can do a lot with an 8k winch and a snatch block!

1 more thing. EVERYONE and his brother is an "expert" in this field or hobby or past time so do your own research. Use your head and be careful.

emmodg

Adventurer
One more thing - don't get what I call "winch brave". You go out and bolt a winch to your truck and start looking for stuff you shouldn't be driving because you think - "It's alright. My winch will get me out."

LR Max

Local Oaf
Find a used M8000. Rebuild it and put synthetic on it.

You'll have everything you want at a lower price.

billy bee

Adventurer
This is where I learned that sometimes slow line speed can be of help, especially when alone.

John

Agree that line speed should be a non-factor in the decision-making process. What you may lose in time b/c of slower line speed you can easily make up by working intelligently and efficiently. You'll waste more time screwing around with your gear and rigging the pull than you will b/c a winch is 10 fpm slower. Additionally, when you rig a double-line or get a few layers of wraps on the drum, you be pulling more slowly anyhow. I try to work thoughtfully and deliberately when winching...never rushing.

bb

86tuning

Adventurer
I did exactly this. I got a used m8000 needing a rope and a remote. I painted the drum and quickly greased up the internals, then spooled synthetic rope on. Wired up in-cab controls and called it a day. Have used it for 6 years now, multiple hours of pulling, and no issues at all

cmj

I've not been able to find one used at a price I'd pay. Sorry Craigslist seller, I'm not going to buy your used winch for $500 when i can buy a new one for less with a warranty...

I ordered from warn factory outlet and they beat the price on amazon.

Sent from spaaaaaaace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz