Portable Air Compressor Question

FlyFishermen

Observer
If you have a voltage inverter (DC to AC) onboard you open up the potential selections to AC powered compressor units. They usually run at much lower rpm and are quieter (not scientifically tested, just an observation).

I have Chicago Pneumatics (Harbor Freight!) units both in my wrangler (solid mount) as well as my Dakota. I like the Dakota method better, carrying an extension cord and moving the compressor to the item needing air, rather than a long air hose which I have in the jeep.

How much of an inverter do you need to run those AC compressors? Wattage of inverter vs. wattage of compressor? Is start-up an issue at all?

bluehash

Adventurer
I doubt you could run a compressor thorough a sub $100 inverter. One of the inverters I have has a note saying that it shouldn't be use used for running motors. The initial current pull from the motor might trip it. Not sure of the more expensive ones though.

This year I went ahead and bought a 12V Puma with a 1.5G air tank and all fittings for ~$230. Works great, is portable and runs low cfm tools( not tried, no air tools ). It also comes with all air fittings minus the air hose. Some people on the pirate4x4 forums have divorced the air tank from the compressor... if you like it that way. That thread is a few years old and looks like the compressors have held up.

HTH

bluejeep

just a guy
How much of an inverter do you need to run those AC compressors? Wattage of inverter vs. wattage of compressor? Is start-up an issue at all?
In the Wrangler I run a 700 watt. If I run it without the jeep motor running, it 'may' trip on the start up once every 10 uses, but there is a reset button. No problems if the Jeep motor is running (eg the alternator is providing the supply current).
In my dakota I run a 1000 watt, no problems ever, motor running or not

daryn1979

Observer
I was looking for an excuse to buy an MV50 for the last couple years until yesterday when my fiancée's tire was flat. I was able to find one at Northern Tool for $55 out the door- far cheaper than anything I could find on Amazon or Pep Boys. They have a sale on their website right now- was $79.99, marked down to $64.99. Found a coupon code (192919) to bring the price down another $10. I couldn't wait for delivery, so I picked it up at the nearest store- if you bat your eyes and show a little skin, they'll honor their online price and code. At first, they said they couldn't do it- just tell them to try!

Now starts the fun part- after seeing all the posts on modding these units, I have to give it a shot myself!

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well I have no experience with a mv50. but have tried several electric compressors including viair largest unit. i will say this, there is no comparison between those and an engine driven on board air compressor. i am currently running a York and couldn't be happier. did i mention there is no comparison. btw i have a viair for sale. highdesertranger

daryn1979

Observer
I would really like to run a York on my JK, just to be able to run air tools, but I've only seen the kit from Off Road Only, and it's not chump change! It's not the York that's expensive- they're a dime a dozen in junkyards up here- it's the bracket and pulleys. For now, I'm hoping that my MV50 will do what I need until I win the lottery.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Edit: Deal is dead, Amazon is back up to ~140, hopefully someone else was able to get it.

For anyone who is interested, there is a seller on Amazon that is selling the Viair 300P (rated for up to 33" tires) for $37.06+$16.50 shipping = $53.56 (on 11/14/14) which is a GREAT price for this, Amazon normally has them for about $140, although they have this on sale for $105 which is their all-time low price. I have been holding out for a 400P(-Auto preferably), but at this price I can't pass it up. Especially since I have a $48 Amazon card as a gift, this ends up costing me about $8. Not quite as fast as the MV-50 or 400P, but still a compressor with very good reviews.

Last edited:

sgregg108

Adventurer
I doubt you could run a compressor thorough a sub $100 inverter. One of the inverters I have has a note saying that it shouldn't be use used for running motors. The initial current pull from the motor might trip it. Not sure of the more expensive ones though.

This year I went ahead and bought a 12V Puma with a 1.5G air tank and all fittings for ~$230. Works great, is portable and runs low cfm tools( not tried, no air tools ). It also comes with all air fittings minus the air hose. Some people on the pirate4x4 forums have divorced the air tank from the compressor... if you like it that way. That thread is a few years old and looks like the compressors have held up.

HTH

How do you run the compressor? Direct cables to the battery? I'm thinking this would be easiest but I don't want to destroy my battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uintaangler

Observer
Frenchie,
Lots of great information…thanks.
But after reading through twice, I can still use some clarification - is it OK to use a portable air compressor to refill your BIG tires if you use alligator clips and do it with the engine running?
Bob

bluehash

Adventurer
How do you run the compressor? Direct cables to the battery? I'm thinking this would be easiest but I don't want to destroy my battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Direct cables to the battery. Keep your vehicle on while you run the compressor. That way you will be sure not to drain it out.

burningac1d

I went with an ARB Twin Motor portable compressor. Was pricey!!, but so far it has been great. The integrated air tank is nice as you can support some air tools if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles