Looking for a good Parka

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Hey guys,

I have been looking into Canada Goose, Helly Hansen, and Woolrich

I like this jacket from HH http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item...1618/?t_type=src&COLOR=208 SUNRISE&t_type=cat
The problem is, their aren't many retailers near me that sell HH and none of them have this jacket. So I'm not sure how it fits (guessing a L would be good as it seems to be slim fit and I fit M everything else)

Canada Goose is a bit out of my price range and I don't know about the quality of Woolrich. I need a good coat that can harsh weather and extreme cold so I just wanted to get everyones thoughts. Maybe someone has a coat in mind that I could look into and which of these brands are considered good in quality and construction.

Cheers!

peneumbra

Explorer
If you want a coat that'll stand up to any weather, consider a Filson Double Makinaw. I've had mine for about 8 years, and have yet to find it cold enough (even here in FLG, elevation 7,000 feet) to have to button it.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I highly recommend any Canada Goose parka but we are talking more like $800, so I will just leave it at that.

As for Helly Hansen, I have a HH synthetic insulated ski parka that I am really happy with. I would normally require an XL just for the sleeve length, then end up swimming in the rest of it. To my surprise, I only required a L and the sleeves are perfect. I must have a "Norwegian build", haha.

I would also take a look this one from TNF. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32022626&lmdn=Category&cp=3707807.12019738 The EMS on Spring & Broadway has a M in stock :)

Jason

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you're looking to save $$$ and still get a decent parka, try looking into military surplus. I have an air force issue parka that I bought damaged at a military surplus store for $50. Undamaged, they can go for up to $300. The only thing wrong with mine was some idiot had spilled bleach on it and it ate a few holes in the outer layer I was able to patch over. The outer lining is an 80/20 cotton/nylon mix with 100% polyester insulation. Very warm in the high winds.

Here is one on ebay for your perusal. This one is a large, while I wear a medium. At 6 ft. tall and a 32 waist, the medium feels okay, though the sleeves feel a little short.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EXT...35?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item19f6d966af

As for quality, my unit gets temp issued parkas in winter and most of them were made back in the 80's.

You can also do your own search for type N-3B parkas. Prices vary, but well worth the money.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
If you're looking to save $$$ and still get a decent parka, try looking into military surplus. I have an air force issue parka that I bought damaged at a military surplus store for $50. Undamaged, they can go for up to $300. The only thing wrong with mine was some idiot had spilled bleach on it and it ate a few holes in the outer layer I was able to patch over. The outer lining is an 80/20 cotton/nylon mix with 100% polyester insulation. Very warm in the high winds.

Here is one on ebay for your perusal. This one is a large, while I wear a medium. At 6 ft. tall and a 32 waist, the medium feels okay, though the sleeves feel a little short.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EXT...35?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item19f6d966af

As for quality, my unit gets temp issued parkas in winter and most of them were made back in the 80's.

You can also do your own search for type N-3B parkas. Prices vary, but well worth the money.

Thank you! Will definitely check it out. and I appreciate the size guide. I have shortish arms and I'm also 6 ft with about a 32-33 inch waist so that helps out with figuring the size of the jacket. I found a couple of places that sell HH in my area but not the exact jacket I'm looking at, so I'll do some research. I think I want to stay in and around 500 and under.

binrat

Observer
I have one from Arc'teryx and one from LLBean. Price difference is a lot but for non technical stuff I like the Bean jacket better.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you want lifetime quality, Canada goose is the way to go. I have had mine since 1996 and its still like new. Nothing compares to the goose for quality. Just remember to buy from an authorized dealer, lots of fakes out there.

jeepj667

Observer
I totally forgot about Eddie Bauer. They just emailed me this:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/s...at=Parkas&previousPage=GNAV&tab=men&color=219

Jason

I picked up an Eddie Bauer Mountain Ops jacket last year and really like it. They've changed it this year (mines 700 down) but I would look into the rest of their line.

They also have a great warranty. I had a dura-down jacket that had two little tears where the drawstrings rubbed through after a year. They took it back and gave me full price credit for it. I bought it on sale.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
That Eddie Bauer jacket does look nice and quite a great price as well! I have a couple of EB shirts and they are very well made! Wish I had a retail store nearby to try on size. I'm 6'0 170 and wear about a 40S jacket (shortish arms) and have fit into a 38R before. So I think a M or possibly a L would fit the bill.

mandingo

Observer
As for the Canada Goose, I have one and love it. When I went to the store to get it, the lady suggested a medium. I normally wear XL jackets and shirts etc but she said they are sized different. Tried on the medium and it was a perfect fit! I am glad I didn't order online and get the wrong size. If you are going to spend that much money, try it on first! BTW I am 6 foot 265 lbs with a 48 inch chest and 36 inch waist if that helps with the sizing.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
As for the Canada Goose, I have one and love it. When I went to the store to get it, the lady suggested a medium. I normally wear XL jackets and shirts etc but she said they are sized different. Tried on the medium and it was a perfect fit! I am glad I didn't order online and get the wrong size. If you are going to spend that much money, try it on first! BTW I am 6 foot 265 lbs with a 48 inch chest and 36 inch waist if that helps with the sizing.

which one did you get? I tried on a M once from CG and it was too tight to zip up. The Expedition Parka fit well in a L. I'll have to try those again, I want a white one but none of the stores here have them in White so I would have to order from moosejaw.
Only issue is that it's still out of my price range for now and not sure if I'll be able to get one come December or January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke