chiptune dpf delete problems

EAB

Observer

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hmmm...I wonder how much an ECU goes for?

I might have to give Busbee a call and see if they've got one. Purely an academic exercise, of course. For information purposes only. All NFA laws apply.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hmmm...I wonder how much an ECU goes for?

Don't know about up North, but I priced one in Oz and it was about $4.5K, which is crazy. An ECU for an Isuzu was only about $1.5K, which seemed more realistic. I have found that most Fuso parts are quite expensive compared to their competition's parts. Sigh....

Czechsix

Don't know about up North, but I priced one in Oz and it was about $4.5K, which is crazy. An ECU for an Isuzu was only about $1.5K, which seemed more realistic. I have found that most Fuso parts are quite expensive compared to their competition's parts. Sigh....

:Wow1:

I'll call Busbee's Monday and see how much they want for them over here. I'll post up when I find out, but if they're in that range....nope. Then again, I've got another few years on the warranty and I'd only be doing this once the warranty is done. By that time there might be an OBD link that works.

dlh62c

Explorer
I have been trying to decide on either a 2005 - 2007 or a new FUSO with one concern being ULSD in south america...

A UNEP Sulphur Map may prove useful in your planning.

Water separator and fuel filters aside; keep in mind your driving a modern CRD engine which doesn't care much for diesel fuel that's contaminated with other fluids.

Someone can correct me, but I thought the DPF and the muffler on NA Canters are a single unit.

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
Usually, with a DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter)/catalytic converter, there is no muffler. This is true on the newer Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks, Isuzu NPR's, and Hinos, and on looking at the Fuso literature, doesn't appear to be any muffler on them either. The emissions gear, plus the turbocharger, pretty much quiets the exhaust enough to negate the need for a muffler

EAB

Observer
dlh62c,
I am not an expert on these issues. Should I assume that even one has water seperators and fuel filters that the we will still have issues even if the DPF is removed?

THanks
Eric

Czechsix

You can always dream... ;)

Kill joy, betcha you're lots of fun at parties. :coffeedrink: lol

IAC, I'll go through the shop manual, but I think Gatsma has it correct - there is no muffler, but I think that the DPF functions well as one also.

flow of diesel exhaust fluid.jpg

EAB - I think what you're referring to is the quality of fuel? If so, I'm thinking that these modern engines will be much less forgiving of crap fuel, at least relative to something like an old M-B OM352. Tighter tolerances, electronic injectors, etc. The other thing that bothers me a bit is the size and quantity of fuel filter on the FG. I'll probably get a dual stage large capacity fuel filter installed once the warranty runs out. I really did like the FASS on the old Suburban with a Cummins. Something like that, a dual stage filter with huge surface area, and commonly available filters is a great addition to the FG, I'm thinking. Of course, installing that would probably void warranties too.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Regarding the removal of the DPF;
You Will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile.

Last edited:

EAB

Observer
I understand the notion of better filters, on my boat I have a couple of racors that keep the particulate matter down and manage the water issue, we can polish the fuel as well. But i guess that does not take care of really poor quality of the fuel itself.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My understanding is that the major difference between the old diesel and new ULSD is sulphur content. Is there any other change that makes it "better"? I understand that ULSD is better for the environment but I don't think it is any better for engines.

Czechsix

Yet another thing...Fuso trucks are all over africa, and I wonder how they deal with fuel there? I see there's at least one expedition motorhome builder in South Africa that uses Fuso FG chassis.

Who knows? Might be a non-issue. I'll wait for someone else to prove/disprove that though :sombrero:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yet another thing...Fuso trucks are all over africa, and I wonder how they deal with fuel there? I see there's at least one expedition motorhome builder in South Africa that uses Fuso FG chassis.

If I am not mistaken, the Fusos sold in South Africa are only Euro3, so they do not have all of the latest emissions stuff on them and do not need to run on low sulfur diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke